Quantcast

The rear 24 bighit

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am looking to help a friend of mine get a new DH bike. This will be his first DH bike that he will own, he has ridden, but never had his own bike. He is a beginner rider who would probably be cat 3, mayb cat 2 end of next year.

For 800 COMPLETE, there is a bighit FSR from a friend of mine. It has been used ONCE. Literally! The part spec is all stock with a stance kingpin :( and 2 rings in the front :(. However, these can be upgraded as needed and ect. What im wondering is, How much potential do these bikes have. I rode it around the street and it felt pretty decent. With a full race spec, can this bike be half decent. Or would this be a waste of money.

PS his budget is around 800 bucks, not much, but he is young.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I wouldn't throw money into a bike with a 24" rear wheel...you could get a 26" Bighit in good condition for the purchase price anyways, I wouldn't put any more money into an antiquated DH bike, especially since tires/rims are somewhat hard to find, and they just don't work as well as a 26" wheel.

However, it's certainly a good starter bike - it was my first DH bike, and it served me well! They also are pretty strong/reliable.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy has an RM for sale for $500. He could make a few changes with the extra coin.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Well im not a total fan of bighits, i only offer this 1 to him because it helps him out. I know the kid selling it, i know what its been through, and basically i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, just want to make sure that im not screwing the kid over with this bike. Alot of times, in my opinion, the parts make the bike. A bighit with fox 40, i9s, codes and ect. is better than a jedi with a MZ comp, ditch witchs, and V brakes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The bighit makes for an alright racebike, the geo is reasonably good. BB is low enough (~14), HA isn't too steep, and there's a good cockpit length on the medium and large bikes. They pedal pretty bad but it's not a huge deal.

I don't think the 24" wheel is much of a hindrance either, as long as you have a strong wheelbuild and a decent tyre (not much choice unfortunately) it goes well.

Like you said the build makes it, so with a good build (8" boxxer on the front goes well) I think it'll do the job just fine. Basically, for a cheap bike, you could do a whole lot worse - I reckon the bighits go alright.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
bighits are alright and you can get a 24"x2,5 60a highrollers as rear tires, which is ok. i once had a bit of a hussle to get short spokes, until i found a shop which has the tools to cut threads into spokes and i was golden!
there's no reason not to get one as a beginners bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
those bikes are great, especially for beginners. 24" crap is not very desirable, so for somebody who won't be able to tell the difference, it makes for a cheap entry point. A 24" rear wheel isn't extremely noticeable to most riders, so a beginner should be happy to get near free tires and rims.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Rear wheels are not as hard to fing as people think... tires on the other hand..... Yeah they are kind of limited. My thoughts... Its a great starter bike, people can rip to no end on these bikes.... BUT for that older style, i would try to get a better price, there are better more updated deals to get

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I am looking to help a friend of mine get a new DH bike. This will be his first DH bike that he will own, he has ridden, but never had his own bike. He is a beginner rider who would probably be cat 3, mayb cat 2 end of next year.

For 800 COMPLETE, there is a bighit FSR from a friend of mine. It has been used ONCE. Literally! The part spec is all stock with a stance kingpin :( and 2 rings in the front :(. However, these can be upgraded as needed and ect. What im wondering is, How much potential do these bikes have. I rode it around the street and it felt pretty decent. With a full race spec, can this bike be half decent. Or would this be a waste of money.

PS his budget is around 800 bucks, not much, but he is young.
Doesn't sound like much of a steal to me. FWIW, I sold my old bighit 2 years ago for $900 and it was all changed out goodies (sherman fork, X9 rear with X& shifters, E-13 bash, Diablous stem, Atomlab bars, XT 4-pots with goodridge lines, brand new atomlab read wheel, etc.) and that was when the economy was good.

Try and get the price to like $600, stay in contact with the original owner so when the kingpin goes he can claim it (or sell that crap ASAP) and go from there.

~Scott

P.S. Maybe look for an older SC bullit, they seem to be easy to find well built for that money.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Doesn't sound like much of a steal to me. FWIW, I sold my old bighit 2 years ago for $900 and it was all changed out goodies (sherman fork, X9 rear with X& shifters, E-13 bash, Diablous stem, Atomlab bars, XT 4-pots with goodridge lines, brand new atomlab read wheel, etc.) and that was when the economy was good.

Try and get the price to like $600, stay in contact with the original owner so when the kingpin goes he can claim it (or sell that crap ASAP) and go from there.

~Scott

P.S. Maybe look for an older SC bullit, they seem to be easy to find well built for that money.
I was going to criticize the price as well when I realize how hard it is to find a nearly new bike.

You know the story: your bike has been upgraded sweetly, but you probably rode it hard.

Pivots wear, seals age, lube dries up. Creak-creak-creak.

It is the classic debate: a lightly used bike with original parts vs an upgraded bike with lots of wear.

I have a lot of parts and connections, so I rather get the new bike and upgrade it myself. Someone else might want the cool stuff.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I have a lot of parts and connections, so I rather get the new bike and upgrade it myself. Someone else might want the cool stuff.
True story right there, or at least that's the current story. And it's why I don't buy used, I would otherwise.

~Scott

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Bighits work great, and they're super durable. Even the old ones.
I would haggle him down on the price and replace that fork ASAP!!! Those feel horrible, and I saw a friend snap both stanchions right in half. Maybe an old super t for a cheap fork...

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
I rode a 2004BH24, and I will say this: It was the best padalling DH bike I have ever tried, no lie it pedalled a lot better than a 2007 SX Trail I owned later on, for sprinting and uphill. That was even with a 2-tall 2004 888 on the front. I probably should have kept it.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I bet it's some kind of misconunication. Demo9 could just be selling it for the one kid on PB.
I've had friends on that exact bike with a fork swap and chainguide, and I don't think the bike held them back at all.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I bet it's some kind of misconunication. Demo9 could just be selling it for the one kid on PB.
I've had friends on that exact bike with a fork swap and chainguide, and I don't think the bike held them back at all.
Exactly, i list it on pinkbike to help sell it, and This is another easy way to show the kid who is interested. Kill 2 Birds with 1 stone, i agree the price is high, but that is what the kid wanted me to start it at.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I think the kid will take 600 for the bike, which imo is a fair price, i start it high because if some other kids want to pay more, why not? After a 888 and a Guide this bike is ready to rip?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I think so- but I think super t's (03-04) are better than 888's.. The compression cartridge in the 888 seems like it's always sucked. I've had both and the super t didn't bottom as much, was simpler, wasn't so wallowy in its travel, and it didn't seperate on me mid-air!
The 888 was too much of what was percieved as a "good" thing: marzocchi "plushness"

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Old style BH w/ Shiver was the first "big bike" I ever considered. Great starter bike. Ride it, outgrow/out skill it, then sell it. Like a Kona Stinky that way. No point in getting a $6k first bike when you are just going to thrash it anyway.

Replace the fork right away though. Seriously. Those things are dangerous.