Quantcast

The recording industry is stupid.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So there was this song I wanted to download this weekend. I was gonna use iTunes and pay 99 cents for it all legal like. But apparently it's the most popular song on the CD, so they don't offer it. Apparently they are afraid people will just buy the song instead of the CD.

Guess what assholes?! Since you won't let me download it legally, I dowloaded it the old fashioned way. :mumble:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
A riding buddy of mine is a sound engineer here in Nashville who works with some big names, and he basically told me that I can be guilt-free about downloading, even illegally. He says that the Artists actually make most of their money from ticket sales and merchandising, and that CD sales only really help out the corporate A-holes. Of course, that trickles down to the lowly sound engineers, so its not all good he says, but dont feel bad for Toby Keith echo. He gets paid either way.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A riding buddy of mine is a sound engineer here in Nashville who works with some big names, and he basically told me that I can be guilt-free about downloading, even illegally. He says that the Artists actually make most of their money from ticket sales and merchandising, and that CD sales only really help out the corporate A-holes. Of course, that trickles down to the lowly sound engineers, so its not all good he says, but dont feel bad for Toby Keith echo. He gets paid either way.
There is a popular tract from Steve Albini, an established indy producer and musician best known for producing In Utero against the wishes of Nirvana's label, about the music industry: http://negativland.com/albini.html