Quantcast

the return of the downhiller

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
happy to be back after 4 months, sidelined by a broken collarbone.
these are some pictures from my last 2 weekends. this is one of my favorite trails... so went twice to get my fix for the month.

me, at the beginning of the trail. 3.5km above sea level.

me, at the other "start".

customary picture at the start.

dropping into town (bottom left)

a kid, welcoming the group to the town of olleros.

racing!

a condor, dropping by to say hello. on the right, the ridge that is the trail. at the far bottom of the hills, the dry riverbead where the downhill ends, and 30km of dry mud to the beach begin.

i made a wrong turn, and end up meeting this nice goat herding lady who told me how to get back to the singletrack that goes to the coast

the road back to the beach

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Awesome. How does shuttling work? Pay a guy?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Awesome. How does shuttling work? Pay a guy?
shuttling is usually a collective effort. costs about $400-$500 (split among the people) to hire the green bus seen in the first picture. it takes about 4 hours to get to the trailhead.
his name is Marino, and thats his toyota coaster with a 14-bike roof rack. its quite comfy, there is a minibar, a tv for biking videos, plus he knows all the trails, where to stop, the weather, the condition of the roads, the shortcuts, the emergency routes, etc...

we are his main clients; and he is our main shuttle service. he is usually booked months in advance, as lbs usually organize 20 rides per season.

when he is booked (or we cant get 10+ people together to hire him), we hire a driver for the day.

Wait... you're telling me you ride from 11,500 feet to sea level? On singletrack?!?

Your ideas intrigue me... I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
yup, pretty much.

if you ever want to ride this trails... you are welcome to bring your bike to peru, and i´ll show you. if we get lost, hopefully a goat herder will get us back on track.

for a more pro experience (with mechanics, a sat phone and stuff) you can contact wayo stein, at inkasadventures. he is a pretty cool guy who guides professional tours for a living.

Last edited: