Quantcast

The revived AS-X

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just got some warranty stuff from Yeti. Where it broke before has been seriously beefed up, and the new stuff looks great. Good job Yeti! It's so nice when a company actually fixes a problem and will get you on the right part for warranty, free.

People love AS-X's, so check her out. Muuuch more comfy than a blown 5th Air. Hippie Tech did the work on the 5th, and it works really well. I guess they took like three months, but I dunno. I am a hippy though, and I smell pretty bad. I have a rope for a belt and haven't shaved in a week because there is no need to appease the man in Europe.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Had some swingarm troubles, but Yeti has since sorted everything out. The swingarm was an older, 2003 swing arm. Great bike though, after seeing all the fork choice discussion, I posted my ugly bird for everyone to marvel at. That's right, marvel!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
bikenweed said:
That's right, marvel!
I'm trying to marvel.. but then I burp and a little puke comes up in my mouth.

Now my stomach hurts and I'm confused...

Are you running a Larsen TT on the front?!?!?
good thing fox forks track well i guess.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
BigMike said:
Do you have any before beefed up and after pictures? or pictures of it broken and where they fixed it?
Apparently a few have cracked or broken near the dropout. If you have one or are thinking about buying one I wouldn't worry, they are stout frames.

That one's been through hell and back. Knowing what it's been through, I'm not surprised it broke (bikenweed has a history). Yeti's once again proved to be a stand up company and, as weed pointed out, they seem to be constantly improving the design.

I know a few very popular, respected bikes that have distinct design deficiencies (always break in the same spot) and havn't changed for years. Props to Yeti.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Biscuit said:
Are you running a Larsen TT on the front?!?!?
good thing fox forks track well i guess.

whats wrong w/ that? id be more concerned with that crap tire in the rear

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey, that crap tire hasn't even thought of flatting in three months of rocky trails and downhill runs. I bought it in 8th grade at the Spokesman in Santa Cruz, and had to pay almost $50 for it. That was in 1999. Last weekend in the slalom down the stairs race it didn't flat with 45psi. It still hooks up in corners like a Motorapter. I just tossed the Larsen in back with a qWeirwolf in front, we'll see how that goes. It probably won't make a single difference, but it'll be a little less ugly. Who makes a bike the color of vegetarian poop these days? That's sooooo 2001.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
bikenweed said:
It still hooks up in corners like a Motorapter...
There's a flaw in your argument.

bikenweed said:
Who makes a bike the color of vegetarian poop these days? That's sooooo 2001.
That color is supposed to be "gravel", but it looks more like wet gravel. Wet gravel that was mixed with vegetarian baby poop.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It looks nothing like gravel. Gravel is grey. Vegetarian poop is the exact same color as the yeti cuz I, well, compared the colors one night and they are identical. As a matter of fact, when I go to sell it, the local butcher won't be seeing a lot of my money, the produce section will, and the frame will look brand new...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Basically... At least it's not neon gravel. If that downhill bike doesn't get warrantied it'll be bright orange with yellow wheels. Think Honda bike, but with sprayed wheels, and a sprayed orange frame by another manufacturer. Or a cheap powder coat, gotta talk to SLO powder coating, but the breaks must be visible to watch for more cracking. The *certain big bike company* that refuses to warranty it will be forever embarassed and will probably loose all future bike sails after the ugliest downhill bike ever hits the month long, 3 race national circuit.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
You gotta spray paint the wheels with the tires still on it!

Then orange/black/white tiger striping on the frame. Except where that giant flaw is, there you leave bare with big green arrows pointing to it.

And you should have somebody weld it for you.

The (not)funny thing is, you cracked that bike long before the Yeti, and you've already got the Yeti back and running... hmmm...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Seriously... props to Yeti! Plus, the Yeti was re-engineered to live up to the forces my fat ass was putting on it. I wish I could mount the Yeti swingarm to the other frame. Hey would one of your old Vanilla RC shocks fit my SX? I

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
THRILLSEEKA said:
Nothing solid yet, but a little birdie told me that there's rumors of a 12mm thru axle swingarm in the works for our beloved as-X's. Yummy....
OH GOD YES!!! OH!!!

I already have a 12mm wheel in mine with a bolt on adapter. Sweet lord above, thank you.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
WHOOOOOOAAAA! Put it back in your pants, Chomps! Like I said, RUMOR. But yeah, that is in fact a very nice rumor. Maybe someone should forward this thread over to Craig at Yeti? I thought about emailing him and seeing if there was ANY truth to it...but I don't want to be disappointed!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Sadly, that rumor has been floating around for a while. I really wish they would do it. I thought it was going to happen for the 05 frame and it didn't and there is no mention of it for 06.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Sounds like Mario's got an itty bitty stem, and he's not the least bit embarassed.

Biscuit, I think if we push out the DU bushing any regular shock, the eye will slide over that shock bolt completely normally. I tried to put the 5th coil from the AS-X on there and the fit was almost perfect diameter wise. On mtbr Jason Chamberlain, designer from Specialized, said that while the fit is not oficially perfect, it's the right size to just not use a DU bushing. I do hear that the width is a factor and the mounting hardware doesn't fit, but we can always try and see if it'll fit. I'll buy that Float off you cuz the 5th air sucks and I want to rebuild it and keep it for when the bike gets sold. I'll try to find a ruler to measure eye to eye with, or I can use my shoe and guess.