Quantcast

The ridemonkey fat fighters programme

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
What the hell, I'll chine in!

Goal - 175 by May/June '08 for race season.

Started at 190 in December '07.
January 15, '08 - 187 and holding steady.

Now that I'm beyond the hollow daze + family cake, I mean birth days, I think I can do it. Da beer may thwart me, though!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok I'll join in...my doc has given me the go ahead for light work so it's time to get busy.
Current weight- 211
Target weight-180

I hope to have this done by the summer....D

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ok I'll join in...my doc has given me the go ahead for light work so it's time to get busy.
Current weight- 211
Target weight-180

Light work? Did I miss something D?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
yeah I had to slow down after suffering from some pretty bad nerve damage....D
Hey, that sounds familiar. Nerve damage sucks, I have my fair share after my little tumble in '04. I feel your pain.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm in.

I am trying to ride 5+ days a week (lunch 6-8 mile cx rides at work and dh/fr/am on the weekends). I am now working out at home with my girlfriend at least 3+ days a week doing sit ups, lunges, squats, push ups, etc. I also stopped drinking beer during the week (unless there is a special occasion).

Starting weight:

I am going to try and get down my weight down a bit, maybe to 185-195. Well see since muscle weighs more than fat. I just want to slim down a bit, build up my cardio for racing, and get a little more 'defined' muscles.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dave, 36, fat DH'er.

I started 2 weeks ago. I have gone up and down a little more than I'd like, but overall I'm down 8 pounds. I got a nice scale and that helps.

Starting weight = 270 (personal worst)
Goal for Spring Fling DH race in May = 225 (230 if muscle mass is gained)

I have been eating better and cooking more than in the past. Portion control is my main issue. I started doing the P90X workout classic and it is an ass kicker.

I decided to not join the gym this year and work at home with the DVD's and some bands. I would like to get some dial-a-weights eventually.

The hardest part right now is my race bike for this year is 70% complete and the weather SUCKS. I hope in another month I can start to ride my SS to work a few days a week. The goal is to continue on the 90 day schedule and hope to move from "classic" to "two-a-days" at the start of race season.

I didn't race last year and I slacked real bad with an overworked schedule. It blows me away to think of where I was just 3 years ago and how fast fitness slides now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
4 years ago I was 155, racing my road bike and running 50Ks... then I ran out of money & had to go to work. :disgust1:
I decided to forgo Afghanistan and leave the National Guard. When I got out, I was about 230 and my last APFT was 62/75/14:12 for push-ups/sit-ups/2 mile run.

I have never been a runner, but it does burn the most calories. I will start to run again in another month once my flexibility is a little more normal. I was up to 5 miles a day 3 days a week at one point. I would die at the 2 mile mark right now.

My wife has promised to attend races this year, so her support is huge. I had my 3rd knee surgery just over a year ago, so I have to keep my impacts to a minimum.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I decided to forgo Afghanistan and leave the National Guard. When I got out, I was about 230 and my last APFT was 62/75/14:12 for push-ups/sit-ups/2 mile run.

I have never been a runner, but it does burn the most calories. I will start to run again in another month once my flexibility is a little more normal. I was up to 5 miles a day 3 days a week at one point. I would die at the 2 mile mark right now.

My wife has promised to attend races this year, so her support is huge. I had my 3rd knee surgery just over a year ago, so I have to keep my impacts to a minimum.

Riding can burn just as many calories as running. When doctor types measure calory burning they are measuring people who are riding at a leisurly rate, walking pace effort. Running forces you to up the effort. Just ride hard on the bike and you can save the impact on your knees.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Riding can burn just as many calories as running. When doctor types measure calory burning they are measuring people who are riding at a leisurly rate, walking pace effort. Running forces you to up the effort. Just ride hard on the bike and you can save the impact on your knees.
That is very good info. I know on the SS I ride a lot harder than any bike I've owned before because I spin a lot more due to the lame gear combo (34-15 or so, I think). The guy I bought it from just took the large ring off the XC crankset and used a singe ring with spacers and Singulator for the rear.

Once the weather gets above freezing, I would like to ride 3 days a week to work with one day being on the DH bike.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is true - I still bike but not as hard as I used to. With running I can get my 30 minutes of cardio in fairly easily. I don't mind running after dark but dislike road biking after dark. I leave for work before sun up and don't return until after sunset - this limits biking to my days off. I don't live in the woods anymore so my former regular night rides on service roads are a thing of the past.

Yep - times change.

Riding can burn just as many calories as running. When doctor types measure calorie burning they are measuring people who are riding at a leisurely rate, walking pace effort. Running forces you to up the effort. Just ride hard on the bike and you can save the impact on your knees.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is true - I still bike but not as hard as I used to. With running I can get my 30 minutes of cardio in fairly easily. I don't mind running after dark but dislike road biking after dark. I leave for work before sun up and don't return until after sunset - this limits biking to my days off. I don't live in the woods anymore so my former regular night rides on service roads are a thing of the past.

Yep - times change.

Times indeed change. Past two months I have spent more time running than I have riding. That will change once sunset and the weather are more favorable.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Current weight- 211
Target weight-180

current weight- 208 it's a step in the right direction:D

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Currently holding steady at 187....:brow: My next weigh in is today...guess I should move from solely doing interval training/weight lifting to adding in a bit of endurance, eh?

Just started my 4-5 times a week plan last week, so we shall see!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
188-Dec 27
185-Jan1
180-Jan 6
177-Jan 19
175-Jan 29

I should be close to 165 by summer at this rate but its getting hard.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I got a bit of a head start this past summer, I'm just hoping to continue, it's tough when I'm not getting out as much but at least I haven't put much back on.
July 2007: 235
January 2008: 215

Target: 185 (watch out Splat, I hope to be giving the Silver Turtle a run for his money by the time I'm done...)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I see a lot of 185. I was 172 when I joined the Navy in 1991. I had to "bulk up" from 168 because at 6'4" I was underweight.

I haven't been bellow 220 since about '93. I also have a lot more muscle mass under my flab, so I don't think I will ever be less than 215. Although 215 would be nice, I think with muscle that 225-230 is about right for my frame.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I see a lot of 185. I was 172 when I joined the Navy in 1991. I had to "bulk up" from 168 because at 6'4" I was underweight.

I haven't been bellow 220 since about '93. I also have a lot more muscle mass under my flab, so I don't think I will ever be less than 215. Although 215 would be nice, I think with muscle that 225-230 is about right for my frame.
That sounds about right, look at professional hockey players, lots of muscle, great shape and for that height, most are right in that weight area.

dirtrider2

Chimp
Jan 22, 2006
nam bomber
watch out Splat, I hope to be giving the Silver Turtle a run for his money by the time I'm done...
Hehehehehehehe. Just so happens, my New Year's resolution was to get my speed back (I swear!) I took too many hits last year and lost all momentum. 2007 just plain sucked.

I have to admit though, I do applaud your ambition. And, though it pains me to discourage it, I plan to STOMP it into submission starting Saturday. Choose your bike carefully...

Toodles,
Dave

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
188-Dec 27
185-Jan1
180-Jan 6
177-Jan 19
175-Jan 29

I should be close to 165 by summer at this rate but its getting hard.
1/19 - 242
1/23 - 238
1/30 - 236

I almost forgot what it was like to have a decent metabolism. Once I kickstart my body for a week, the middle part is easy...later on it gets tough again. I figure I can get back down to 210 by April at the latest. My goal being my birthday on the 4th.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
nonono - ramping up exercise? Diet monitoring? Quitting beer?.... I know I am on the "super stressed out" diet and am losing weight whether I want to or not.
u wanna donate? i need to lose weight bad!! im sitting here in my chair going "sh1t i need to lose weight!" Im so in on this!! I ll weigh in tomorrow

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Pefect timing. I've let myself go since last spring. My 'in shape' (12% BF) is around 210-215. Right now I'm at 242. Goal: 210. I just got a membership to a club close to my house and did my first spin class this morning and it kicked my ass.
Dude,
Your avatar looks like you are eating a baby on a toasted bun with lettuce.

You should really consider a gluten-free diet.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Dude,
Your avatar looks like you are eating a baby on a toasted bun with lettuce.

You should really consider a gluten-free diet.
I know, I know. Babies are so delish though. Also, that was a toasted whole grain wheat bun. I make sure my babies are asian in order to cut down on the fat content.

Back Woods

Chimp
May 15, 2002
England... For now!
I'll play, weighing in at a svelte 220lbs I'd like to be at or at least close to the 200# mark before i move to England in June! I run 3x a week and try to get on my road bike when i can