Quantcast

The ridemonkey fat fighters programme

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
YAY!! Well, I did my first post-posting weigh-in, and I've dropped a whopping 4 pounds (now 250). YIPPEE!!! Granted, I've only been on the bike the last 3 days, about 14-15 miles each day, and the head wind did help for the extra effort. I did have a couple of beers, though, and I'd rather stay away from that and just eat well. We'll see, as Monday is going to be very stressful, and I'm sure I'll want loads of comfort food........

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I'm 155lbs and want to lose 5lbs...does that count?

So I can row light weight varsity this year without being worried about not eating before a weigh in, and take nationals, of course. (My club had the most boats competing last year at nationals)
I thought this was a mountain bike forum? Hmmm...

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
What else are you doing? Weights? No soda? etc etc etc
An hour of cardio 5 days a week keeping my heart rate high, weights 2 days a week (I'll hit them harder once I get my fat % down) and spreading meals into 6 smaller portions evenly distributed throughout the day. I haven't changed the quality of food I eat as much as when and how often, but I wasn't eating junk for the most part beforehand. I also do the occasional ride, but nothing too intense.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Currently sitting at a portly 230, would like to be 205.

One of the best things I did was to go out and get a good heart rate monitor. I can say, without question, that this is one of the best workout tools I have ever had. I have spent years in regular outdoor sports as well as regular trips to the gym without ever really knowing whether I was actually maximizing my workout times, and now with a 13 month old, time is an even more precious commodity.

At the beginning of every month, it measures my resting heartrate for 5 minutes and determines my overall fitness level. After that, I can select 3 different fitness programs (maintain, improve, maximize) as well as pick how many days a week I want to work out. Based on my input, it determines the length and intensity of each workout. During the actual workout, it shows me my target heartrate zone and beeps if I'm below or above it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was at 260, but my back decided to freak out last week and I have been taking it easy. I will start back working out tonight and I finished the new DH rig last night, so that will be test ridden this weekend.

2-3 pounds a week is the goal at this point.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Well.....

I went up from 187 to 188....but hey, so did my weightlifting totals...deadlifting 255 for sets of 8 and leg pressing 500 for sets as well..maybe it's a pound of muscle (beneath the fat)???? :poster_oops:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was at 206 around christmas...currently i'm at 194.4, best was 194.2, and that's not dehydrated.

I started running again, and recently I added a workout plan (including the men's fitness yearlong workout) to spend 5 days a week being active. I stopped "crapflood"ing my body with bad foods like chicken wings and pizza. PORTION CONTROL...take what you normally eat and eat 2/3 of it...then 2/3 of that later...switched to higher protein foods (learn to like canned tuna and cottage cheese/hummus)....ate more often with smaller meals.

A BIG ONE...I allow myself a few junky meals a week. The limit is 3, specifically. You can't deprive yourself of everything all the time, but try to make it as smart as possible. Crave chocolate? Put down the snickers and eat a pre-packaged 70% cocoa square...need a caffeine rush? Sugar-free rockstar...

My goal is to lose 30 Lbs by say, June. I want to be at 175, but I'm going to start building muscle again, so I'll probably level off around 185.

You have to set goals for yourself...we're going on an island vacation in april, and I damn well want to do my best james bond impression on that trip. I also want to compete in a few adventure races and maybe a triathalon.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm around 220. I'd like to be around 195-200.
Since the first of the year, I've added 2 weight lifting sessions per week to my weekly routine.

I'm still 220. :plthumbsdown: but I have made gains at the gym. I've added 30+ lbs to all my reps. I'm pretty happy about that. I've also lost an inch around my middle.

Sunday night I actually started a real "diet". My wife is in on it too so I have support. Both our goals are to lose 25 lbs. We're basically doing the weightwatchers core plan. Lots of whole grains, fruit and veg, and lean meats, not so much fat. It's not a radical departure from my regular diet. All it really involves is being a little more conscious of fat intake, not adding sugar to everything, and better snack choices (say a banana, instead of a powerbar).

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Well, it's been slow going lately with a bit too much beer drinking and laziness but I'm down to 230. 12lbs off and 20 to go. Hopefully I can get it off by the end of May even though I had planned on it being earlier.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Steady Droppin' teh wayts! Can I has cheeseburger now?

6-Feb 222
11-Feb 219.8
20-Feb 217.4
26-Feb 216.4
29-Feb 216.2
5-Mar 215.6
9-Mar 214.0
Also my gut has gone from 44" to 41" around. Not too shabby.

Unfortunately, I haven't been making gains in the gym for a few weeks. I backed off a couple of days to allow a full recovery so hopefully I'll be able to push past that in the coming weeks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have lost a little, but I am gaining muscle like crazy. I know from week 4 on I will start to drop a lot more. I start week 3 this week.

My push up numbers have increased by 30%. I am getting push up bars this week to add additional range of motion.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just please dont get those ridiculous twisty push up things from the idiot box. Humeral rotation has nothing to do with effective push ups or building a bigger chest.
You can save some $$ and use your old Encyclopedias instead of bars too...

I am at around 192, been away from home and the scale for a bit. I am losing, pants are looser as are my riding clothes.

Also dropped a huge bomb in the bathroom earlier, so may be more like 175 now...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just please dont get those ridiculous twisty push up things from the idiot box. Humeral rotation has nothing to do with effective push ups or building a bigger chest.
$12 at Target for the regular push up bars with 3 height settings.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Rock em...
I have become fond of the Champion sports wear Under Armour knock offs at Target. Cheaper, fills the need and if you crash and burn and wreck it you arent out mega $$!

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
We have a "Biggest Loser" competition going on at work. The 'leader' somehow managed to lose 10lbs in a week. Yeah......also said he lost 2lbs one day when we were in training from 9 - 6.

I dropped 10 lbs a week when I first started on ephedrine and caffeine- it stayed off until I decided I lost too much muscle mass and started eating more again.

currently i'm 180, 15% bf. I want to be 175, 8% bf... but I also want to be able to bench 405 at that weight, which I'm not sure will happen.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Down to 244 (from starting of 254) in shorts/t-shirt. Guess it really does work to not eat late (after 9 p.m.), cut way back on beer, eating more vegies, and riding at least 30 minutes a day. I just might do well at Sea Otter................

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Has anybody watched the TLC special "I will make you thin" with Paul McKenna?

I started last week and I'm down 3 pounds this week! The plan is based on 4 Golden Rules. It seems silly, but I'll be damned if it doesn't seem to work.

1. When you are hungry, eat.
2. Eat what you want.
3. Eat consciously.
4. When you are full, stop.

It sounds like "duh", but what a difference. I have slowed my eating speed and I have been leaving an average of 1/3 of my food on my plate. I notice I am full way before I would think I am full, so I stop. I don't let myself get hungry and I don't feel bad for having hamburgers, pizza, beers, or anything.

A guy on last nights show lost 185lbs in 13 months and all he did was follow the rules and walk more.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I'd like to get to 175. I started at 187 a couple weeks ago and was 182 this morning. I'm training for a triathlon in July, so that's my motivation. Now if I could just convince my wife I need a new bike for the race.
Down to 172, and my new goal is 167. I've been training 5-6 days/week, sometimes 2x/day (swim in AM, run/ride in PM).

And I got the new bike :monkeydance:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've been exercising since late January and have dropped 20lbs. Started at 207lbs, now I'm 187lbs. Been running almost every morning and lifting weights again. It's killing me, but cut off all alcohol to only 1 day a week. I feel it's helped quite a bit since I would drink 2 beers with every dinner.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have been going to the gym the past 2 weeks on a trial membership. On Sunday I finally got a full membership. Weighed myself there just in workout clothes, I was at 207. Looks like I might be staying over 200. I am going to be focusing more on cardio and building strength in my shoulders, lower back, and arms.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This was my "rest" week for the P90X program and I have lost 3 more pounds. The Paul Mckenna crap is mind blowing. I actually look forward to my weigh ins because I'm averaging a half pound a day NOT working out.

Once I start back working out tomorrow, I expect to see some serious improvements.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
6-Feb 222
11-Feb 219.8
20-Feb 217.4
26-Feb 216.4
29-Feb 216.2
5-Mar 215.6
9-Mar 214.0
14-Mar 213.4
17-Mar 212.2
19-Mar 212
26-Mar 210.7
31-Mar 209.2
4-Apr 208.6
18-Apr 206

Still steady droppin' I went to Naw'leans last week and pigged out on beignets and still dropped weight. :) Only 11 lbs to go.

I found this website: http://www.exrx.net/Testing.html It's kind of fun if you like creating data.