Quantcast

The right bike to race

Sergio

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Well, I have a Hardtail bike (23.8 pounds) and a Full Suspension bike (26.1 pounds). I use to do marathon and Cross Country races but I have a huge question about the right bike.

With the HT I could go faster up the hills but on the down hills the FS do a better job.

So, the question is: With 2.3 pounds between both bikes, which of them could be faster in the hole race? The guys with 21 pounds bike go faster than me up the hill, but I can beat them down the hill. But a race have a lot of hills (up and down). Any sugestions? Comments? Thanks in advance

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Thats a hell of a question. I'd go with the hardtail.

Full suspension is heavier for going up hills so you spend more energy. Full suspension is faster down the hills so you recover less.

Hardtail is fast up hill so it requires less energy. Hardtail is slower down hills so you can recover more.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Depends a lot on the course, and not just the amount of climbing. I would use the bike that suits the conditions. Last weekend the course didn't have a lot of climbing and on paper looked for a hardtail...that was a miscalculation. The course was brutally rough and the FS guys really had the advantage.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yeah, it really depends on the course and length of the race. I have a FS and a Hard Tail and I bring them both to 24 hour races. I tend to use the hard tail more, but the FS is nice when my body gets tired.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The FS bike, as much as it pains me to admit it, will probabally be the best choice, especially if you are a newer rider. You save a pretty amazing amount of energy on a well setup xc bike v a hardtail in most serious offroad situations.

It probably depends most on where you are racing.

Where are you racing?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
FS is almost always a faster choice unless the bike is really heavy or the course quite smooth. Any bump that the suspension or tires cannot absorb converts forward motion into vertical motion. That translates into slower speeds. Factor in the physical beating the rider takles in absorbing bumps. No matter who you are, the more energy spent absorbing bumbs, the less energy you'll have to go fast. Suspension can allow you to pedal over rough patches where a hardtail rider will have to coast. Suspension allows you to remain in control better so you can brake latter, maintaing traction and cimb more technical trails etc.

On the other hand a lighter bike always goes up and accellerates better. Only you know what type of trails you will race on and whether or not FS or ht is best for you.

Craw4x4PH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
I would also agree with Ire. It would depend on the course. The best way to find out is to track read and try out the course (if it's possible/allowed). Better to try it with both bikes, too :)

bikermancam

Chimp
Sep 26, 2004
I agree with oldfart and a lot of others as well as listening to yourself. The more you race the more experience gained and the closer you are to figuring out that million dollar question.

Or save big and buy the best of the best FS and you have killed 2 birds with one stone, light weight and full sussy! :)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If it were me, i'd just ride the FS. Smoother up and down. You can go a ton faster downhill on FS if you have the skills. If not, i guess it doesn't really matter. One of the main differences is that you want to keep more momentum on the FS going uphill. You can't put th power down as quickly on FS and you can a hardtail. But if you keep momentum, you'll be able to roll over more rocks and roots without getting beat up and tired. FS all the way unless your trails are smooth like sidewalks.

That's just me though. I'm heavy and don't like my ankles, knees and wrists getting worked over on a ride. I also don't like the feeling of getting punched in the taint every time i hit a bump on a hardtail.