Quantcast

The Ring of Engagement. Ack!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I did it. I bought the engagement ring for the GF. I am planning on asking her on christmas day on the beach by her parents house.

It's just like this one except it has a round sapphire instead of an oval. One carot blue sapphire, and two .34 carot diamonds. I sure hope she likes it!

Seems like everone is getting jewels for their GF's this year.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Ciaran said:
I did it. I bought the engagement ring for the GF. I am planning on asking her on christmas day on the beach by her parents house.

It's just like this one except it has a round sapphire instead of an oval. One carot blue sapphire, and two .34 carot diamonds. I sure hope she likes it!

Seems like everone is getting jewels for their GF's this year.

If I knew you were going to do something like this, I would have gotten you a hammer as your secret santa gift so you could have bashed yourself repeatedly in the forehead with it. :D

Good Luck with that.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Very nice!

When I proposed last Spring I picked out a simple white gold solitare setting....and spent my $ on the rock.

Mostly because it was a suprise (ambush) proposal and I didn't know what size her finger even was. :o: :rolleyes: I figured the setting could be replaced and the rock was more important. Ended up being only a half-1 size to big (I wanted it to be able to get on her finger :) ) and she likes the simple setting. Go figure.

Good luck. I was in a zone when I proposed....you could have hit my over the head with a 2x4 and I wouldn't have known it. :D Total tunnel vision.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Nice ring!

Good luck with it - remember to breathe deaply and speak slowley and clearly... I was so nervous that I blured it out so fast that she could only laugh - for a long time!!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slugman said:
Nice ring!

Good luck with it - remember to breathe deaply and speak slowley and clearly... I was so nervous that I blured it out so fast that she could only laugh - for a long time!!!
Haha... That must have been uncomfortable. :D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
RhinofromWA said:
Haha... That must have been uncomfortable. :D
I was on one knee looking up at her while she laughed hysterically and tears (not he type I had expected) were streaming down her face...

After a while (seemed like forever) I did a big clearing of my throat and said "well?" She told me to stand up and gave me a big hug... but was still laughing and had not answered me yet. Obviously she said yes... eventually.

One thing that can be said about our relationship is that we always laugh a lot, but that was just plain silly!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
luken8r said:
FYI: if you give it to her on a holiday it is considered a "gift" and if you break up you cant get it back

just sayin....
Woman will alway scall it a gift. And hawk it if it goes bad.

Men will call it "consideration" for the contract of getting married. If either breaks the contract and does not get married.....then the "consideration" should be returned as the contract (getting married) never happened. The contract is in default. :D

How romantic.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
RhinofromWA said:
Woman will alway scall it a gift. And hawk it if it goes bad.

Men will call it "consideration" for the contract of getting married. If either breaks the contract and does not get married.....then the "consideration" should be returned as the contract (getting married) never happened. The contract is in default. :D

How romantic.
Marriage due to romance is a fairly new, Western concept............

Sorta like the "buy tons of $hit for everyone at Christmas" concept. :D

-S.S.-

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Thank you everybody. I am really excited and a bit nervous about asking her. I keep taking the ring out and looking at it, and cleaning it. Provided I can speak clearly I should be OK. :) We've been together for 6 years so I think she'll say yes. :love:

It was 600.00. Pretty resonable, I think. The sapphire is of pretty good quality. Not too sure about the diamonds but they sure do look pretty. The sales lady wrote it all on the reciept which is filed away right now.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
my husband actually locked me in a room when he proposed. his parents were trying to get him to take me out to a nice dinner and all that but he knew if i realized what was going on, i'd bolt. so he shut me in a bedroom and did the down on one knee thing and all that. let's just say i had a few committment issues....it all turned out ok though!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ciaran said:
Thank you everybody. I am really excited and a bit nervous about asking her. I keep taking the ring out and looking at it, and cleaning it. Provided I can speak clearly I should be OK. :) We've been together for 6 years so I think she'll say yes. :love:

It was 600.00. Pretty resonable, I think. The sapphire is of pretty good quality. Not too sure about the diamonds but they sure do look pretty. The sales lady wrote it all on the reciept which is filed away right now.
Ya know what that looks 10x better than a huge diamond IMO and for 1/10th the price.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
just be thankful your gf doesnt want one of these:

bling in teh middle is choice 1...only $5k...
I guess thats what I get for buying the wedding rings at Tiffany. Never bring a woman into that store....EVAR!!

btw, im already married, she just wants an "upgrade"

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ciaran said:
Provided I can speak clearly I should be OK. :) We've been together for 6 years so I think she'll say yes. :love:
Practice your proposal out loud and time it... seriously. It's just like public speaking, if you know what you’re going to say and the time it takes to say it you'll be less likely to rush it or miss-speak. No guarantee... but it will help.

Ciaran said:
The sapphire is of pretty good quality. Not too sure about the diamonds but they sure do look pretty. The sales lady wrote it all on the reciept which is filed away right now.
BTW - why sapphire?

It's what my wife's engagement set (ring with matching earrings) because she doesn't like diamonds, and it's my birthstone.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
BTW - why sapphire?
Because she wanted a colored stone as the center stone, and I found out that sapphires are very hard and durable (Second after diamonds). After looking at many different gems, I decided to go with something that would be durable and was not as common as say an amethyst (which is one of her faves and would have been just fine with her). It really looks nice in the sunlight too. And going with something other han a diamond allowed me to get a higher quality stone. If I had to go all diamonds they would likely have been small and of lower quality. The sapphire is a 1 carot stone with a deep blue color and no flaws. I decided on blue as the color because in the middle ages it was the color of fidelity.