Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, I park like a jerk and may wear out my CV joints. Point accepted

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
We should take the toshi complaints to the toshi thread where my first complaint will be about toshi's thread being mostly filled with complaints about toshi

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I’m going to talk with her about it and maybe we can hammer down something more concrete, like we strictly alternate who is the one who takes a sick day.
Nice, dude. I clearly don't know the entire story, only what you've explained here, but this does seem like a wise choice. I gathered from your explanation that both you and her are kinda grumpy about the whole thing and neither feels like things were 'fair' so talking about it is probably the way to go. Equitable distribution of household labor and responsibilities isn't an easy thing to sort out.

Unsolicited advice: in my opinion you'd do well to keep in mind that her part-time job at the school isn't the only job she has, nor is being a doc your only job. It's the non-paying jobs that are more difficult to quantify. And as others have said prior, the real value to her in the school job is likely not financial—and teasing out what that value is to her won't hurt.

Seriously, good luck.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Evan, air your other non kart related grievances with me pls. I would like to be aware of them and address them.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Unsolicited advice: in my opinion you'd do well to keep in mind that her part-time job at the school isn't the only job she has, nor is being a doc your only job. It's the non-paying jobs that are more difficult to quantify. And as others have said prior, the real value to her in the school job is likely not financial—and teasing out what that value is to her won't hurt.

Seriously, good luck.
I’d like to know how much @Toshi contributes to laundry, cooking, cleaning, life admin in general before having this conversation with her.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’d like to know how much @Toshi contributes to laundry, cooking, cleaning, life admin in general before having this conversation with her.
Laundry - mainly wife as far as the kids’ clothes are concerned. I do my own as a big boy.

Cooking - I do maybe 20% but am the dish master whenever she cooks.

Cleaning - I hire the cleaning lady and she doesn’t really :D outside buying organizing bins seemingly constantly.

Life admin - I handle all the finances, the lawns, the cars, etc. She organizes kid activity schedules. We both shuttle them everywhere for their myriad activities.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
To answer the question posed in the op I need to know how many inches of fresh powder there was

And I actually think your kid is the asshole for being sick on the day you were supposed to be skiing.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Evan, air your other non kart related grievances with me pls. I would like to be aware of them and address them.
I'll do my best to find some time for this. I already started a PM.

Laundry - mainly wife as far as the kids’ clothes are concerned. I do my own as a big boy.

Cooking - I do maybe 20% but am the dish master whenever she cooks.

Cleaning - I hire the cleaning lady and she doesn’t really :D outside buying organizing bins seemingly constantly.

Life admin - I handle all the finances, the lawns, the cars, etc. She organizes kid activity schedules. We both shuttle them everywhere for their myriad activities.
These are precisely the "non-job jobs" that can be so difficult to quantify and ensure equity of, in my experience. Even for folks who have chosen to not procreate.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I gathered from your explanation that both you and her are kinda grumpy about the whole thing and neither feels like things were 'fair' so talking about it is probably the way to go.
The talk was had, and our consensus is to have a strict alternating of sick days to care for le kid. I will call in formally and make others cover on my days, and won’t take regard of whether it’s a “special” day, like where I have pancreatic conference on Tuesdays. When she’s not working (over summer) then it’ll fall to her by default. If I have an academic day that can be converted to sick then I’ll take it.

Perhaps having a formal rotation like this will lead to both of us being less grumpy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
To answer the question posed in the op I need to know how many inches of fresh powder there was

And I actually I think your kid is the asshole for being sick on the day you were supposed to be skiing.
2” over 48, trace over 24. So none really…