Quantcast

The RM AITA thread...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We do 1, 2 or 3 year real time and accelerated shelf life testing, but that's on devices/consumables. Not sure if drugs go through accelerated or not?

Either way, takes a shitload of time and money, likely a magnitude higher for drug testing vs. devices/consumables.
yea, drugs do too. but they go through forced degradation testing first, which determines how quickly they can run accelerated. [edit - we do forced degradation on an increasing amount of our stuff too]

we have products with 10 year shelf life.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
soft cheeses and milk based dairy are the ones to be most concerned about.
I will never eat Ricotta cheese again since I got food poisoning from it that almost killed me. Seriously. Ambulance, ER, etc. Got food poisoning again from bad sushi. I take no chances whatsoever with potentially spoiled food. And I’m a total fucking inflexible asshole about it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
yea, drugs do too. but they go through forced degradation testing first, which determines how quickly they can run accelerated. [edit - we do forced degradation on an increasing amount of our stuff too]

we have products with 10 year shelf life.
what is forced degradation for drugs? For us it's typically gamma irradiation at higher dosage targets (40-60kGy) prior to the clock starting on samples.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what is forced degradation for drugs? For us it's typically gamma irradiation at higher dosage targets (40-60kGy) prior to the clock starting on samples.
exposure to high & low temps, RH, light, moisture, stuff like that which will cause the API to degrade/break down

elevated irradiation doses are just the "worst case" assessment, not forced degradation.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
exposure to high & low temps, RH, light, moisture, stuff like that which will cause the API to degrade/break down

elevated irradiation doses are just the "worst case" assessment, not forced degradation.
Being that our consumables are all single-use, plastic film/tubing based products, the gamma does definitely cause degradation of materials to varying degrees. Whether or not it is defined as such, performance and longevity at max operating conditions post-gamma are definitely a form of forced degradation.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We do 1, 2 or 3 year real time and accelerated shelf life testing, but that's on devices/consumables. Not sure if drugs go through accelerated or not?

Either way, takes a shitload of time and money, likely a magnitude higher for drug testing vs. devices/consumables.
I worked in an analytical development lab that was close to manufacturing and packaging. They had some pretty neat equipment for testing this stuff- environmental chambers for high temp and humidity, and a really interesting machine that could basically test how the stuff would do after transport in a truck. It basically bounced/vibrated the package up and down like actual transport in a truck. It was pretty neat, but I'm not sure there's a way to test longevity other than waiting.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I worked in an analytical development lab that was close to manufacturing and packaging. They had some pretty neat equipment for testing this stuff- environmental chambers for high temp and humidity, and a really interesting machine that could basically test how the stuff would do after transport in a truck. It basically bounced/vibrated the package up and down like actual transport in a truck. It was pretty neat, but I'm not sure there's a way to test longevity other than waiting.
ISTA-2A is the standard packaging/shipping validation we follow (I believe its individual boxes < 75lb for standard shipping? Krankypants would know)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, that's a good portion of what we do - distribution simulation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Being that our consumables are all single-use, plastic film/tubing based products, the gamma does definitely cause degradation of materials to varying degrees. Whether or not it is defined as such, performance and longevity at max operating conditions post-gamma are definitely a form of forced degradation.
what do you make again? product category that is

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
what do you make again? product category that is
Here's our portfolio in the specific segment/products I've been working on since 2018. Single use and integrated systems (hardware and consumables) for upstream and downstream bioprocessing. I've been working on the perfusion system for cell culture harvesting, having launched lab scale a couple years ago and process scale to launch in the next couple months.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here's our portfolio in the specific segment/products I've been working on since 2018. Single use and integrated systems (hardware and consumables) for upstream and downstream bioprocessing. I've been working on the perfusion system for cell culture harvesting, having launched lab scale a couple years ago and process scale to launch in the next couple months.

gotcha. I'm in orthopedic implants, eg stuff that gets permanently implanted in the human body. regulatory requirements are a bit higher for us.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This is sort of my baby, until the process scale version launches, which has 10x the components/configurations, and WAY more complicated/diverse manufacturing/testing processes and equipment and quality/validation documentation for launch.

Did everything from the molded component design and manufacturing/equipment process development and validation for everything, Absolute shitload of work but holy shit is it satisfying and fulfilling to see something you made from the ground up leave the warehouse to go to customers.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've got some Greek yogurt in the fridge with a "date" of 09/11/22 - at some point I'll open 'er up and give a smell and if it's not off... game on!

:D
I mean, yoghurt is just rotten milk, so nothing to go wrong here. :D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Almost everyone I know has had food poisoning (anecdotally) at some point. Except my wife and myself (and my kids, AFAIK).
Uh huh…

Get it bad enough and you get to shove suppositories up yer ass for a week because you can’t stop shitting.

I learned a couple of very valuable lessons when I was in my early twenties. Sometimes it just isn’t worth the risk trying to “save money” by eating questionable food. But go ahead and roll the dice with your four month old yogurt.:D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Murican greek yoghurts are sterile the moment they leave the dairy factory so this is a safe bet.
pasteurization is not the same as sterilization.

edit to add: it's only required to pasteurize the milk prior to culturing the yogurt. not after.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Uh huh…

Get it bad enough and you get to shove suppositories up yer ass for a week because you can’t stop shitting.

I learned a couple of very valuable lessons when I was in my early twenties. Sometimes it just isn’t worth the risk trying to “save money” by eating questionable food. But go ahead and roll the dice with your four month old yogurt.:D
Jesus, never had it that bad...well, I got a colonoscopy, they basically wanted you shitting constantly.

The food poisoning is so debilitating though, on a scale of 1-10 for pain it can be an easy 10, you basically can't move and I can't even fathom how one would get to the ER. The last time I had it though I had the grand idea to just drench myself with ice-cold water from the sink whilst I was profusely sweating. That actually helped a lot.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've got some Greek yogurt in the fridge with a "date" of 09/11/22 - at some point I'll open 'er up and give a smell and if it's not off... game on!

:D
Yogurt is just rotten milk anyway, what's it going to do, rot harder?

As to the question at hand, @JohnE is not the asshole. If she doesn't want to take expired Nyquil, that's fine, but if you're cool with it and she's not going to replace the normal cabinet staples as she throws them away, she shouldn't be throwing them away.