Quantcast

The RM AITA thread...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We actually buy "almost" expired stuff, all the time. Nothing taste better than a 50% off glass of milk

The only thing this place doesnt have thus far.

Am I the asshole?

The Frau watches expiration dates on things like a hawk, throwing stuff out the minute it expires, despite my protests that I simply dont care about them (Expiration dates..). Not only that, she doesn't necessarily tell me OR replace the item she trashed. I have asked and asked and asked until I am blue in the face for her to stop this behavior, yet she persists. I get throwing out moldy bread and food products, things that would be dangerous post expiration date etc, but many things simply lay about until they are needed, and if they are needed and not there because they were discarded on account of a somewhat arbitrary date attached by a manufacturer, tossed and not replaced...I dont and wont.

AITA for being pissed about this? Especially when I needed some fucking Nyquill to knock me out last night, had none now face a 20 hour day with a head cold, no sleep and a long commute?
I keep my own stashes of some stuff.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
John, I would just start putting arbitrary expiration dates on things you want to replace, like cars and bicycles.
I have my wife convinced that Rocky Mountain Frames and other suspension bits are only good for two years, and must be sold to avoid significant depreciation.
"Sorry, could be dangerous, they have to GO".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
John, I would just start putting arbitrary expiration dates on things you want to replace, like cars and bicycles.
I have my wife convinced that Rocky Mountain Frames and other suspension bits are only good for two years, and must be sold to avoid significant depreciation.
RealMenOfGenius.gif

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Did the rest of the world get pillows with expiry dates on them?
Shit got silly in Australia when a company started putting suggested replacement dates on pillows, their sales went up by an insane amount.
People are idiots.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ruth is an expiration date fiend, She wants to throw stuff out the day thats stamped on the product. Me I use my nose. if it smells good, taste it. still good eat it. smells bad or tastes off toss it.

I have never gotten food poisoning.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ruth is an expiration date fiend, She wants to throw stuff out the day thats stamped on the product. Me I use my nose. if it smells good, taste it. still good eat it. smells bad or tastes off toss it.

I have never gotten food poisoning.
Do you actually have any functioning taste buds though at this point? :D

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I have the exact opposite problem. Ms junkyard won’t let me throw stuff away even though it’s old as shit and we have a new container as well. All sorts of science experiments in containers and pots. Drives me crazy, so I clean it when she’s not around. It’s a product of her childhood so I mostly let it slide.

My mother is the absolute worst. I’ve thrown out stuff the was expired by years sometimes 5 years and is obviously bad. But both had horribly alcoholic parents and a lack of food in the house growing up.

I’ve decided I’m not the asshole and you’re not either. But I gotta ask, do you compost?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have the exact opposite problem. Ms junkyard won’t let me throw stuff away even though it’s old as shit and we have a new container as well. All sorts of science experiments in containers and pots. Drives me crazy, so I clean it when she’s not around. It’s a product of her childhood so I mostly let it slide.
She's a keeper. Her name is awesome, too.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The answer to the question asked in the title… if you have to ask… is yes.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Not currently, but when I am growing "things" I have been known to. Dont know how well Nyquill would compost, but I will try (almost) anything once...
Sometimes I try them twice to make sure. In the case of the NyQuil i would leave it out of the compost. Perhaps it could be dried, ground and snorted.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Food safety is for the weak. If you can't drink your own pee or eat a week old dead possum how do you plan on surviving the climate wars?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When in college I had a roommate that would bread raw chicken by simply dipping it in the bag of flour we used for everything else. We didn't find out until the end of the year. No one got sick, but it did explain why the biscuits always tasted a little gamey.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Actually when it comes to cannibalism you need to have better food safety standards. At least make sure the person died of blunt trauma or blood loss and not some communicable disease.
This is why you should hunt for your meat if possible. You know what it’s been eating based on the area it was harvested, and can control everything from how much it suffered to how it gets butchered.

For instance, if you harvest near a Home Town Buffet, you can be reasonably sure it’ll have a higher than normal fat content. My wife dislikes the taste of grass fed meat and butter, so harvesting near Soul Cycle isn’t my first choice.

Also, stay away from the central nervous system.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
This is why you should hunt for your meat if possible. You know what it’s been eating based on the area it was harvested, and can control everything from how much it suffered to how it gets butchered.

For instance, if you harvest near a Home Town Buffet, you can be reasonably sure it’ll have a higher than normal fat content. My wife dislikes the taste of grass fed meat and butter, so harvesting near Soul Cycle isn’t my first choice.

I was gunna say I don’t eat found corpses. I’m also not a zombie and don’t eat the brains of long pig. But I like the way you described it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Human prey will be easy to find at the beginning, but once all the fat dumb and slow run out things will be a lot tougher.

Who am I kidding, there are enough of the fat dumb and slow in this country to go around for a generation or two.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Human prey will be easy to find at the beginning, but once all the fat dumb and slow run out things will be a lot tougher.

Who am I kidding, there are enough of the fat dumb and slow in this country to go around for a generation or two.
Humans have a lot of weaknesses and will mostly deliver themselves with the proper bait.

Whenever people try to engage me in post apocalyptic talk. I go right to stabbing my neighbors in the back immediately so that I don’t get weak from lack of protein. I add that I will be naked and smeared in shit when traveling to avoid a similar fate. Usually ends the pointless discussion quickly.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Whole Foods man, plenty of lean healthy options wandering around that place.