Quantcast

The "S" curve on the San Francisco Bay Bridge

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
pretty much. Note there have been 80+ accidents in the last 2 months. Just shocking.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
no kidding. having driving it a few times in the last week, i can see if your speeding by 20mph, texting, or trying to take in the am sunrise, you might have a problem.

otherwise, no excuses

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I think people are relying on what they THINK it will be like from past experiences... instead of ACTUALLY paying attention to the road.

God forbid people actually look in front of them at traffic and at road signs.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
After driving the "S" curve on the Bay Bridge twice today in my Ambulance [once in each direction] I have but one thing to say.

You have to be a complete retard behind the wheel to mess it up:rofl:
can't you just park there and wait for accidents to happen?

cut down on drive time and sh*t....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The thing about the S-Curve is that I know it exists. I had a plan when I drove over it and when I rode over it. And I was careful when I did cross it.

Now everyone knows that people are freaking stupid. Unfortunately, a poorly designed road reveals how stupid they can be.

80 accidents in 2 months is proof.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not going to jump on the bandwagon here...

The signage at the start was inadequate. Haven't seen it since the crash over the side Monday morning, but up until that point it still was a little thin. It's one of those speed limits you actually have to abide by if you're in a larger vehicle. Little cars - no problem, you can probably take that corner at 60mph. The trucks that crashed were only doing 10mph over the limit... that 10mph was deadly.

The experience going inbound is also different from outbound. Inbound also appears to be where the accidents are. Inbound, you don't really see the corner until you're about to hit it due to the crest on the bridge.

I'm not sure why they don't put rumble strips, big flashing signs & light up the corner with lots of < < < < < < < < signs. I know country roads with better signage.

I'm not taking the responsibility away from the drivers - just speaking from personal experience here.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, a bunch of idiot measures are necessary. Without fully understanding the need for S-Curve and the alternatives, I just think it is a horribly design road section and the amount of accidents had to be expected.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This issue was weighing heavily on my mind on the BART ride home last night... all I could think about was this, so I put it on paper (pixels)