Quantcast

The shape of things to come...

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Thanks to everybody! I'm glad you like it.

Originally the plan was just to build a frame to try some different geometry (steeper HA, short CS, etc.), but since I'm a detail freak, it just escalated from there.

On a side note, I've been taking my Fall Guy to the local BMX track and having a blast, so this winter I think I'm going to build a 24" rigid Super Cruiser to play around on.

Also, those I-9s on the bike are like new if anyone is interested in purchasing them. I am doing a SS specific set for this bike.

Take Care,
GM

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Very nice job! Super super clean. I really dig that seatpost setup but do you have to move the rear wheel to adjust the height? Or did you make a spanner wrench to fit in between there?

Great choice with the color - I think it looks perfect for that fork.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
I really dig that seatpost setup but do you have to move the rear wheel to adjust the height? Or did you make a spanner wrench to fit in between there?
Hey Don, yes I made a disc w/ 2 pins and a hex to get in the space between the tire there. I use a ratcheting wrench to drive it. It's still a tight squeeze.

i dont know much about BMX... but does this bike not have a headset? (Pic #4)
Streamlining was my intention. I made the spacer beneath the stem to also be the top bearing cap for the integrated headset. The OD of the fork and headtube are also the same. Clean...

Thanks again,
GM

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Very Clean. Great for a show bike.

Not the most practical thing as far as adjustments go, but you're doing some new stuff. It's hard to come up with anything that hasn't already been done. I really dig the lines at the headtube/fork and dropouts. The caliper placement is key as well. How do you tension the chain?

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Woody,
Rear drops are slotted. Polished caps thread in when not using custom threaded pegs.
Although this bike is damned nice, it's gonna get ridden.
You know, it would be kind of fun to go annoy the people at the hand built bicycle show...Hmmm....

GM

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Although this bike is damned nice, it's gonna get ridden.
I hate to be the only one, but...

Unless you are a perfect rider, extremely tame, or manage to fall so that the bike isn't harmed, it seems like an extreme amount of effort and time was expended on a bike that will inevitably be thrashed and beaten on through the rigors of dirtjumping, street riding, etc. etc.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Everythings relative...

I get just as much enjoyment from the creation of projects as I do from riding / driving / using them. I'm not the kind of person to go hang this on my wall, but I'm not going to abuse it either.
If it breaks, I'll fix it. Or build a better one.

This wasn't work, it was fun. You gotta keep it fun. Period.

And besides, I really don't have much time to ride anyhow. This thing should stay nice for a while.

GM

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I hate to be the only one, but...

Unless you are a perfect rider, extremely tame, or manage to fall so that the bike isn't harmed, it seems like an extreme amount of effort and time was expended on a bike that will inevitably be thrashed and beaten on through the rigors of dirtjumping, street riding, etc. etc.
but an equally extreme amount of time and effort to put into a wall decoration. I know what you're saying, I'd hate to see the thing trashed, but I'd also hate to see it hanging over the mantle without a little bit of dirt on the tires.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
thats why we take pics of it before it gets ridden, to remember how good it looked and after its ridden, build one thats better :clapping:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Man, I'm like the others... speechless. That thing is soooo smooth. My favorite part is the caliper placement. This is what high end DJ hardtails should be like. Any hardtail frame costing over $500 should have the attention to detail and uniqueness that this thing has.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Everythings relative...

I get just as much enjoyment from the creation of projects as I do from riding / driving / using them. I'm not the kind of person to go hang this on my wall, but I'm not going to abuse it either.
If it breaks, I'll fix it. Or build a better one.
Don't get me wrong here, I think the bike is absolutely beautiful, and I fully respect the amount of time and effort it took to design and build it.

However, I would have a hard time riding something that I put so much work into. Thats just me and thats just my opinion. Don't hate :imstupid:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Don't get me wrong here, I think the bike is absolutely beautiful, and I fully respect the amount of time and effort it took to design and build it.

However, I would have a hard time riding something that I put so much work into. Thats just me and thats just my opinion. Don't hate :imstupid:
I'm so happy that bike is going to get ridden. I've thought for years about building a replica of my old Profile cruiser I raced w/ in the 80's. After seeing the prices/rarity of them and relizing I wouldn't help myself from riding it once built, I decided against it. I love seeing the rebuilds on site like Vintage BMX but it's kinda stinks knowing those bikes are just wall decor.

I know I've spent a lot longer building trails than GM Designs did on his bike and I'm guessing he spent a LOT of time on that build. Fresh jumps look great all packed down w/ shovel marks but look a ton better w/ some tire treads on them. And bikes always look better w/ some dirt on them.

That's what makes riding that much better for some of us - the additional time and fustration it takes building a bike or a spot. Ball sport players will never know it like we do.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Man, I'm like the others... speechless. That thing is soooo smooth. My favorite part is the caliper placement. This is what high end DJ hardtails should be like. Any hardtail frame costing over $500 should have the attention to detail and uniqueness that this thing has.
I believe another couple of pluses on that caliper location is how it works w/ slotted dropouts. It should be easier to get the wheel on and off as the caliper is in front. And the forces won't try to pull the axle back in the dropout.

Looks clean and is out of the way - I think their are some clearance issue tho - and the use of curved seatstays may have helped (am I correct on this GM?)

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
thats why we take pics of it before it gets ridden, to remember how good it looked and after its ridden, build one thats better
Right On!

Looks clean and is out of the way - I think their are some clearance issue tho - and the use of curved seatstays may have helped (am I correct on this GM?)
You're right Don, it's a tight squeeze as it is. I could've put a tighter bend in the seat stay, but I wanted to keep it swoopy at the drop out.
When I first got my Fall Guy I looked at the space created by the seat stay and chainstay and thought a caliper just might fit in there...

Don, I also recently restored my '82 GT Pro. I couldn't just let it sit there so I threw on a modern set of wheels, some used pedals and seat and took it to the BMX track!!!!

Later,
GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Thanks again everyone, I'm really racing to finish this thing before the weather turns nasty.
I know, there's always Ray's.

Seat will be done tomorrow, pedals should show up Friday.

what peds you planning on running?
Hey Tiles, I am waiting for some really cool pedals from a company I found here on the RM.
It's Tyler Jarosz's Twenty6 Products, 6Foe pedals.

Woody said:
I was hoping you'd set it up with an eccentric disc on either side to move the axle.
I like the way you think Woody! That actually was the plan early on but I would've had to make the drop out 'enclosure' larger OD and that would've interfered with the caliper placement...which was already tight.

Take care,
GM

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Thanks again everyone, I'm really racing to finish this thing before the weather turns nasty.
I know, there's always Ray's.

Seat will be done tomorrow, pedals should show up Friday.
seat done? is it going to be a custom leather joint like chris moeller's 20th anniversay s&m ltf?

Sep 12, 2004
3 things - 1. how does an internal seat post clamp - obviously it has something to do with the butt end of the tt being treaded with the insert but where/what does that connect to the post

2. the time you spent planning and machining is wellworth it. i dont think ive ever seen something so simple yet so involved in the bike world and best of all its all fully functional and not for pure cosmetics

3. when are you going to give us some full bike pics? I NEED MORE!!!

great freaking work!

**edit** i want to see some pics with those pedals on there :happydance:

Jun 20, 2007
Unbelievably unbelievable. Beautiful work, and you are a talented designer. Please post more pics when the bike is complete.

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
amazing i love it full size pics are needed and you should seriously consider making more and selling them. i know id buy and itd be soon too.