Quantcast

The shape of things to come...

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
I'm with you Dexter. I'm working on a different set of I9s for the bike.
Those wheels weren't for that bike anyhow.
I'm feeling you on the decals too...I thought I'd try them out.

Castle, I'm running 30-13 w/ 175 cranks.

I wanted to add I gathered up 3 very talanted 20" riders who have never ridden a 26" bike before to get their riding impressions that day at the skate park.
I was expecting a little resistance and a learning curve. There was none. These guys started ripping on the bike like they had been riding it for years.
I will be making a trip to Rays after the holidays with the guy in the pics above, Auston Gregory. He is a great rider and a really cool guy.
The other two test pilots were Erik Kucinski and Erin Salecki.

Thanks again,
GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
I changed the pedals and seat for the first trip to the park just in case. Lame I know.
Fortunately no major crashes.

GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Cornfed,
JMC and GTs were my rides BITD. Waay BITD.

My original plan was to bend the fork legs like the JMCs. Unfortunately the tubing was not cooperative and I had to make the crown the way it is now...it actually looks pretty cool in person

I am working on a 2nd. Gen fork now.

GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
I'm finally picking up what you're layin' down Cornfed...that was your chrome Darrell Young posted on here a few months ago wasn't it?

GM

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
You know, if Jim Melton still made bikes, I would hope they would have evolved into something like your creation. It's very innovative, much like Jim's bikes BITD.

I thought about the tubing and the issues that may arise if you attempted to build it w/ a unicrown. It probably wants to flatten out at the bend and wouldn't have much lateral or torsional stiffness afterward, huh?. I figured that is why you went multi-piece. It still looks great. Although JMC did use full aero tubing throughout the fork leg on the early forks, the later model forks were round where they attached to the steerer tube (the DYD model like mine and the AP, Shadow) and teardrop on the straight part of the legs. Jim told me he had that tubing drawn specially for him. Cool stuff.

I don't know how you would put a radius on that tubing w/o getting it hot...but please keep posting your results. Very cool stuff!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i loooooooooove your bike, holy ****. i'm not really into fully rigid bikes, but that should seriously be entered in the handmade bicycle show, you could probably win something.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I think there are some VERY subtle visual similarities to Jim Melton's bikes from about 25 years ago:

You can see here how the fork is round @ the crown. That would be pretty hard to do unless you go through the effort to cold-work a round tube to teardrop on the straight part of the legs. Looking at your bike though, I could see you putting forth the effort on the next one!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
turned my head,................twice..........thrice.

super fine bicycle.

good flatie too!

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Wow!
Cornfed I can stare at your JMC for hours! I love everything about it. Just immaculate... Hutch pedals, single pinch Flights, Bullseye hubs, MX 1000s, whale tails...Oh the memories.
Thanks for posting that.

Here's my freshly rebuilt '82 GT Pro. Not everything is era specific, but there is some NOS stuff. I actually took this to the BMX track this summer.

(Not nearly the visual impact as yours)

And regarding the aero tubing, you're correct, it would've needed reinforcement at the bend / crown at such a long A/C length.

Yes, you could say I've put a lot of effort into this aero tube forming.

Thanks BCD, You are quite the craftsman yourself!

Take care,
GM

TuRBo Todd

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Well if it isn't my arch rival Cru Jones.....!:shocked: (For the record, I just didn't want to bore the readers with all of my questions and comments regarding this bike.) Amazing, amazing ride. How great is the do-it-yourself part of our sport?!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
For the record, I just didn't want to bore the readers with all of my questions and comments regarding this bike.
we love that stuff though. you see we ask greg more q's about the bike, then he posts more awesome pics of it haha. more Q's everyone!

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Hey guys,
I've communicated with Todd and he's the guy behind the retro JMCs from a few years ago.
Here's the Azusa story: http://www.vintagebmx.com/retro/azusa_001.htm

Definately one of the good guys in this sport!!!

He's also a long time member on vintagebmx.com, a site I discovered earlier this year. A wealth of information for us old schoolers!

I also need to say a huge THANKS to Cornfed for making such a cool post on VBMX about my bike!

Take care,
GM

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
*raises hand*:)

I guess sometimes you have to know where you've been to know where you're going next...

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I'd like to share some pics of the first flight of my bike at the skatepark.

While this bike definately stops traffic, I couldn't imagine not enjoying the precision with which it performs.

GM
Dude, You're in freakin Toledo! I'm in Maumee, I'd like to see your work of art at that park sometime in the future. You can watch me fall down alot. You'll laugh, I'll laugh, good times.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
GM - Checked out your website, more super nice craftsmanship. An Ohio based industrial designer, UC grad perhaps?

Would love to see the bike at Rays, but I will be in Boston this winter. Maybe around the holidays.

Super super props. You sir are a true destroyer of worlds.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
This bike makes me want to rub one out :busted: .

I can't believe all of the details on this machine. Every aspect of it is flawless, perfect, innovative and absolutely breathtaking. I love the way the wheels and seatpost are mounted with no protruding hardware (nuts, axles). The inner mounted brake line.. Man o' man.

The only thing - and I mean only thing - is to get a SS hub into the mix. I know the current wheelset was not the final one.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
What a blast from the past! Thanks Satori for digging this up!

I popped in here to check on the Ray's MTB thread....I'll be there tomorrow. If any RM people are there make sure you stop me and say 'Hi'.
I'll be the clueless old guy getting in everybodies way...

Take care,
GM

Since I'm here I may as well post a couple projects I've been tinkering with this winter.

I'm building a 24" rigid super cruiser. Non suspension corrected, with a steep HA & a short back end. That's the way I like em'.

Here's the fork for it. I have found a way to bend the streamline tubing without distorting it. Think JMC meets GMD.

And I thought I'd make a more traditional round tube fork for the cream bike (we really need to find a name for this bike!):

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Oh WOw ... that's seriously one of the nicest pices I have seen .
Greg put that in a museum , not on a bike :clapping:

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Thanks Brad!
Always stoked to see what you're making too!

I'm riding this stuff!
If it breaks I can always make more Haha.

GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Hey Swerve,
The streamline fork is 14.5" A/C (368mm If I remember correctly) Think BMX cruiser.

The round tube fork is 425mm A/C (just under 16.75")

GM

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've seen a bunch of different styles of BMX forks over the years and those, by far, are the nicest, cleanest and most dialed I've had the pleasure of seeing. If they look that good in a digital pic, I can't even imagine what they are like in person. Very very nice work.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Don, Thank you very much!
I always thought that's how Jim Melton should've made his forks BITD. It's a LOT more work though!

Regarding selling forks, I've been working on heat treating processes off and on for about 8 months. These forks will be my latest test subjects. They have not been processed yet in these pics. Once I dial in production & cost I'll make sure to let everyone know.

Snowskilz, specs on the fork w/the 20mm axle or just the axle?
Fork is 425mm a/c, 14mm DOs, 1.25 OD legs.
The axle is 7075 AL, 20mm x 110mm, fits the 14mm slots in the drop outs and is tapped 3/8 x 24.
I hope this answers your question.

Thanks everyone,
GM