Quantcast

The shape of things to come...

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
I like the look of this fork way better than the one with the squared angles up top. Makes it look a lot less like a youth racing fork. Your welding/machining/whatever else I don't understand is amazing. Post more pics as you take 'em.

What a blast from the past! Thanks Satori for digging this up!

I popped in here to check on the Ray's MTB thread....I'll be there tomorrow. If any RM people are there make sure you stop me and say 'Hi'.
I'll be the clueless old guy getting in everybodies way...

Take care,
GM

Since I'm here I may as well post a couple projects I've been tinkering with this winter.

I'm building a 24" rigid super cruiser. Non suspension corrected, with a steep HA & a short back end. That's the way I like em'.

Here's the fork for it. I have found a way to bend the streamline tubing without distorting it. Think JMC meets GMD.

And I thought I'd make a more traditional round tube fork for the cream bike (we really need to find a name for this bike!):

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Yeah, more like $264.99 before tax and shipping :shocked:

I tried to talk myself out of them but the bike really deserves those pedals.
They are crazy light (374g pair) and the quality is second to none.

GM

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
DAMN that is all i have to say.

but really the attn. to detail on this bike is second to none. i have never seen a bike so clean or well thought out!! even fixxies that don't even have half the parts.

man i would love to own that bike but don't want to pay the price to buy it.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Glad you all dig this one too. I can't wait to get this one in the air!

As much as I love Tuffs, those are only on there for mock-up purposes. Still working on colors and finishes.

Thrillseeka, have you seen the new 24" Graphite Tuffs? Single rib spokes like the old school ones. I'm trying to resist ordering them...

I'll keep you all posted on the details of the build as it comes together.

Take care,
GM

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
man id rock the tuffs, just gotta stay smooth...

not sure how i feel about stays that short though, seems to me like itd feel wierd having bmx length stays on bigger wheels.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Thrillseeka, have you seen the new 24" Graphite Tuffs? Single rib spokes like the old school ones. I'm trying to resist ordering them...
Oh, I've seen em, alright! Just haven't found the cruiser I want yet. All flattery aside, I seriously am not worthy of such beautiful craftsmanship yet. Even if you were to sell them I would not buy one until I can make it look respectable. And I think I need to learn the ropes on a traditional curiser before i jump to something with the geo of yours!
But, as far as I can tell and have ever seen, you are absolutely the first person to build what MANY, MANY people are on here searching for: A true street cruiser with geo that doesn't suck!
And maybe I'd buy one...I just wouldn't ride it yet... ;)

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Here's our next patient just before heading into the operating room for a minor facelift...

Ahhh...recovered nicely:

There are so many cool stems out there I haven't found the need to make one from scratch (yet).
This one just needed a little attention.

I like the smooth back end and the fact that it already has the counterbore for my top cap.

Coming soon: The Bottomless Top Cap.

Now go ride!
GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Ha Ha Ha! Polish my stuff ahem...

I use 3M products for finishing.
For the stem I started with 320 grit to remove the anodizing, then went to 600, then to polishing compound with a wheel, then on to
3M Aluminum restorer (a marine application) by hand. Whew!

Thanks,
GM

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Geez...you're even crazier than I thought!
You MAY have covered it somewhere else, but can I ask what your usual line of work is? You have the touch of someone who's been doing this stuff for quite some time.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
check his website THRILLSEEKA...

Nice taste too Greg! Haha, I picked up that same stem a couple of weeks ago but in matte black, to try to get some drop if I decide to run those super tall 5" rise S&M bars... very nice piece, and interesting choice of packaging too with the sweatband.
Polished sure gives it that retro look, you definitly don't see many chrome stems out there unless they're a bit old school.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Uh...never mind...I found it...and I must say.....

I've never jerked off to furniture before... and I think my wife is on her way to your house right now, Greg.... Good luck to you both.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OK, since there's no way to derail a thread like this, I'd just like to take a quick second to KIND OF show why and how I can so greatly appreciate the time Greg's got into his bikes...
This is what I USED to do for a living, gave it up to get back into bikes...I wish I had the time and toys to put into bikes like you are, man...do it for me!

It got used too, wasn't no show toy! And it worked WELL!

All wiring, fuel lines and hydraulic hoses were mounted through the tubing, and there was 280' of DOM at that!
Anyway, I know what what Greg feels when he finishes something like his works of art. Back on topic...

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Hey Thrillseeka your wife's over here and she's dragging my coffee table to her car...
Just kidding!!! Glad you both like my work!

Oh, and that's some articulation on that Tracker! Nice work! It's always fun to actually use your creation instead of just putting it on display.

Satori, yeah I dig this stem too (so far). I wish it had an internal piston like the Profile. Hey maybe I'll make one...
Let me know when you want to lose a few grams and I'll machine the faceplate for you.

Gotta run,
GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Hey All,
Just wanted to give you all an update on the cruiser. I'm really stoked on this one! I took a short test ride and it took me back 25 years!

It shares a lot of details with the cream bike only this one is going to be very Old School / Retro. Lots of chrome!
I even had the Profile cranks stripped and re-plated in copper nickel chrome along with the handlebars (and of course the forks...)

Here's a shot of some parts ready for install:

I finally made some screw in pegs for the rear DOs:

Check out these wheels; Alien-nation Runaways in chrome w/ Blue Profile mini hubs:

Notice the smooth flush bolt covers...

I'll post some more when I get the decals.

Later,
GM

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yes, yes, very pretty parts, but for the love of all things good in this sh*tty world PUT IT TOGETHER and POST A PIC!
I can feel your hesitation in waiting for the decals, but you can post a pic THEN, too!
Damn beautiful Greg. I'll continue to wait impatiently... :)

Last edited:

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
GM, just checked out your site. Super cool stuff, your bikes are a culmination of tons of other skills.

Do you do everything on your own or do you have a crew that assists?

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Got the call the decals were done so I hotfooted it over and picked them up.
(My friend owns a sign shop: Free decals for life!)

You may want to be sitting down for this:........

Yes those are McNeil Face pedals, no they don't come in blue ano...

The Family:

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Greg
PS: I'll be posting these on VintageBMX.com. A really great place if you're into Old School BMX

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
you really went to town on them tonic frames - they look LOVELY.

thank you for sharing! very inspirational to clean and sharpen up my rides!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Yeah, I pretty much hate your guts.

:D damn, that cruiser is fyckin' SWEET! It's SO hard to find a cruiser frame with short chainstays.... I bet that thing rides really nice.