Quantcast

The shape of things to come...

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Sorry if I missed it, but was there a reason that you moved away from putting a radius in the end of your seat stay by your dropout? I really dig that look.

ByStickel

Chimp
Nov 8, 2007
WNC (via nj,ca,tx,in,&va)
Beautiful work and super nice detailing. Some of the nicest I've seen in custom framebuilding.

With that level of design and the labor involved, you'd probably have to charge $2K/ frameset. You think there's enough of a market to justify the $2K for insurance?

I've got pages of retro stuff I want to build, but I don't know if anybody would pay for it.

Can you show us how you bent the formed fork blades to make them a uni-crown?

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
Wow glad I came back to this thread after a hiatus, you've been busy Greg!!

What diameter and thickness tubing you using? love the little touches you put into each bike man, its really inspiring!

b4stealth

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
that is just oh so sick. It is like choppers or hotrods or something for MTB, only they are functional. Dear god those are the sickest rides I have ever seen.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Regarding selling products, I thought I could just add to my existing business liability insurance to cover making bike parts.
Unfortunately my insurance company freaked out. I'm currently in the process of getting specific bicycle manufacturer's insurance. Wonderful huh?

I've got a couple guys who help me part time on the architectural stuff, but the bike stuff is all me.
The bike stuff is all after hours too. Like 1 to 4 am after hours... I already put in about 80 hrs a week to begin with.
Thank god for coffee!

Thanks again to everyone!
GM

I bet he'd have a long line of people swooping up those frames.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
bump.... wonder what melms has up his sleeve now....
Ha Ha. Try an arm brace....from shoulder surgery. Torn rotator cuff, bone spurs, and needed a Mumford procedure on my clavicle. Not fun.
Surgery was scheduled for last October but I had to cancel because I bought and sold some property and moved my home & shop.
Whew!

Bike related news:
I sent some of my fork drop outs and axles to Marty at Geekhouse Bikes for his entry in the North American Handmade Bicycle Show.
I haven't seen the frame or fork yet but it sounds pretty sweet. He came up with his own rear drops too.

I haven't had any time to get back to the bikes...but I will. Soon.
I've been watching the CPSC thing to see how that pans out.

Take care,
GM

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ha Ha. Try an arm brace....from shoulder surgery. Torn rotator cuff, bone spurs, and needed a Mumford procedure on my clavicle. Not fun.
Surgery was scheduled for last October but I had to cancel because I bought and sold some property and moved my home & shop.
Whew!

Ah Greg, you did it all wrong, man! And I thought you had some smarts in yas....

All ya had to do was try a no-can off a 12' ladder to some really hard ground. But the TRICK is you have to wait one full year after the last time you tried a no-can, AND you have to then attempt it in steel-toed boots.

OK...now this part get's tricky... right as you approach the lip, DON'T preload. Instead, panic a little and just freeze. Make sure you're looking down at your feet NOT leaving the pedals as you see the lip zoom under you. This all has to be timed precisely!

If you performed the steps stated above properly, you should now be nosediving directly into the ground, eyes still focused on your feet, which are still on the pedals. Once you feel like you can't tell which is going to contact the ground first: Your head or the front wheel, IMMEDIATELY shove the bike out of the way to make sure it will not absorb any of your momentum! THIS IS KEY! Now, quickly bring your your right arm(assuming this is the arm with the affected shoulder) down to your side, and roll your body to that side.

You should now be in traditional Yard Dart formation and rapidly approaching your LZ. If all went as planned your shoulder will contact the ground first, instantly separating your collar bone from it's irritating position against your shoulder. Allow 6 weeks to a year for full healing process, and then enjoy pain free sleeping with your arm above your head and the overwhelming desire to wear a tshirt in the pool because you look like a damn freak.

But seriously...it really did work! AND my bone doc told me that I'll never get arthritis in that shoulder as there is no longer any bone-on-bone contact. Unfortunately, it's starting to invade every other joint in my body. :banana:

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Greg,

Hey, bummer about your shoulder. Good luck getting back in your groove.

I've got a teaspoon of CPSC info. E-mail me.

-L

illnacord

Chimp
Nov 18, 2006
Greg Melms x Geekhouse Bikes @ NAHBS 2009. Absolutely inspiring, love the architectual influence in the bikes, crossing multiple industrial backgrounds is always a go!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
wow...slap some bmx/DH components on a beautifully made frame, and suddenly a fixie looks awesome.

Good work on the frame, absolutely perfect, and the component spec is sweet :)

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Greg Melms x Geekhouse Bikes @ NAHBS 2009. Absolutely inspiring, love the architectual influence in the bikes, crossing multiple industrial backgrounds is always a go!
What did Greg do for this one? I know Marty was super excited about the new dropouts, did he have a hand in that?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
i believe marty had already been doing his own segmented fork,
but borrowed the dropout design (and dropouts themselves) from greg and applied them to his fork.
Yeah, I think thats his fork, although the integrated may be new. So much work goes into those things...

The dropouts are Greg's I read on Geekhouse's site.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
I supplied the flare/crown race @ the steer tube, the drop outs, 20mm axles and conical washers.

The rest is all Marty.

Thanks Zeronine (awsome handle btw)! It's been awhile since I've looked at pics of the cream bike with that fork on it. I like the current fork better...

Take care,
GM

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Wow! Thanks CMC for blowing the dust off this thread!

I just went back an reread the whole thing, then went out and took the bike for a spin. :thumb:

Hey Dave, I hope you are well. Do you still have the Molly?

Take care,
Greg