Quantcast

The Sheriff ruined my house!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Here's an interesting vid:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/11/20/harvey.home.destroyed.wave

The article title makes it sound like the Sheriff ordered the home to be destroyed. But watching the video we ascertain the following:

• Redneck mom hired just some dude to move her house for 200 dollars - it got stuck in the mud
  • Sheriffs dept tried pretty hard to get it unstuck, unfortunately effort results in house toppling
  • Mom blames sheriff?
  • Mom, boyfriend, four kids AND SIX OTHER PEOPLE living in the house

So between the eight adults in the house, there weren't enough jobs to go around to pay for a proper moving company?

Weird.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
the sheriffs dept didn't HAVE to help her. they volunteered their services. i don't really see how they can be blamed....btw site is blocked at work so i haven't seen the video yet

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
God that's fantastic!

I wish this would happen in Sun Valley more often.

Though the best part is the sheriff. I think I may move and run for office there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Somehow, I bet this lady will get a brand new trailer and lots of gifts, all because she was stupid and she got on CNN.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
while this is tragic, i hate attitudes like this welfare mom has, if for no other reason she's spreading the cancer to her kids.

and yeah, 10 people in a trailer? wtf? they could have just dragged it

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
And people call me a fan of eugenics because I think we should make people take tests before they're allowed to breed.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The redneck Sheriff wrecked her trailer then told her that if she didn't have the mess cleaned up in ten days that he would fine her.

Unreal
Hey, what happens if one of your neighbors dropped a trailer full of crap on the sidewalk in front of your house.

Would your reaction be forgiving, or would you want the sheriff to get them to move their stuff?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
And people call me a fan of eugenics because I think we should make people take tests before they're allowed to breed.
You have to pass a test :

to get a driver's license

to join the military

to become a civil servant

to go to college

to adopt a child

to obtain a marriage license

to practice law

to practice medicine

to obtain a massage therapy license

to become a CPR instructor

to be school teacher

There is no test required to :

run for public office

have children

open a legal brothel

buy a fire arm

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey, what happens if one of your neighbors dropped a trailer full of crap on the sidewalk in front of your house.

Would your reaction be forgiving, or would you want the sheriff to get them to move their stuff?
But what if it's the sheriff's fault it fell over and broke to all hell?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Dude, did you watch the CNN video in question ?

All parties involved are guilty of massive amounts of fail.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
But what if it's the sheriff's fault it fell over and broke to all hell?
i just read the story on another site and it almost seems like a coin flip. but for all we know the sheriff could have been using the only resources available to him. he probably could have called another moving service to help move it out, but that could have taken a long time, and from what i read they were blocking traffic.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dude, did you watch the CNN video in question ?

All parties involved are guilty of massive amounts of fail.
Yeah, I watched it.

The trailer got stuck in the mud, the sheriff tried to push it out with what he had available and it fell over.

Whose fault is it? The owner of the trailer.

I guess you would be taking in the 12 people into your home because you are so kind hearted.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, I watched it.

The trailer got stuck in the mud, the sheriff tried to push it out with what he had available and it fell over.

Whose fault is it? The owner of the trailer.

I guess you would be taking in the 12 people into your home because you are so kind hearted.
Everyone one is at fault. Its the trailer owner's fault for cheaping out and using a $200 moving company. Its the sheriff's fault for trying to use 2 front end loaders to try and pick the trailer up. And now he's being kind of a prick about the whole situation, which he just happened to make worse.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Everyone one is at fault. Its the trailer owner's fault for cheaping out and using a $200 moving company. Its the sheriff's fault for trying to use 2 front end loaders to try and pick the trailer up. And now he's being kind of a prick about the whole situation, which he just happened to make worse.
A similar situation (actually worse) would be if you were arrested for drunk driving. If the towing company totaled your car it wouldn't be your fault.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
He said he did all he could think of to salvage the mobile home, but had to get the road clear. "It's a federal highway," said Garrett, who stood in the rain from roughly 4:30 p.m. Friday until 2 a.m. directing traffic with the rest of his force, a single deputy.

"I'm sorry it happened," he said, "I really am."

But, asked what he would have done differently, Garrett said, "I'd have knocked it over sooner."
And soon found herself in front of Jim Gaunce's house on U.S. 68. Garrett said over the course of the evening, he did everything he could think of to get the house unstuck so it could be salvaged. But, he said, several of the well-intentioned efforts did significant damage to the house. For example, trying to push with one truck from behind while pulling from the front resulted in the hitch coming off and Barton's blue-walled bedroom being crushed.

Lee Roberts, owner of Roberts Heavy-Duty Towing in Lexington, said his company was called in to help. "We tried to pull the trailer back on the road but couldn't without tearing it to pieces."

When asked to push it off the road to clear the traffic flow, Roberts said he declined to do so.

That's when, Garrett said, he called on Meyers and another farmer with a tractor to tip the trailer.
It sounds like the Sheriff did what he could.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It sounds like the problem was that between the occupants of the trailer, the local constabulary and the "moving company", they were about 20 points shy of a 120 IQ collectively. The woman doesn't have any possessions to slow her down and the boyfriend and six other deadbeats have likely found another floor on which to flop so she should just pack up her chillen and drive 'til the tank runs dry. Wherever she ends up will probably be better than from where she's leaving.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Since everyone is hot to blame the sheriff, I am wondering what you would have done in this case, given his huge staff of 1, and that he was out there from 4pm to 1am directing traffic.

Call Caltrans?