Quantcast

The Slut

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
...is our little backyard shuttle run in central MA. A buddy of ours that shoots some mean video set up a couple ziplines Saturday and a bunch of people got together for a few beers and some riding Sunday to help him get things dialed in for a what should hopefully be a good throw-down next weekend.

Bit of a long download, but I think it's worth it, at least for the cablecam footage. ****in' MOOO!
right-click etc etc...

http://www.veilleuxfilms.com/vids/mofo07.wmv

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Great video. zip line footage is the way to go. Take the ladders out of the shot or get some less conspicuous huning ladders.

Keep that stuff up!!!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Freakin' awesome Dennis! Is this throwdown invite only or can I come too (even if I stand around most of the day with my jaw in the dirt)?

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Our jaws can wallow around in the dirt together.
So to speak of course. :twitch:
Keep an ear to the ground for more details - I hear Mark is trying to get a few real rippers out for this coming w/e. Should be good times

This past Sat we helped him get the cables set up, then Sunday was a bunch of sessioning and working on getting the timing, etc down. It would be nice if we can get the ladders and us gawkers out of the shots for the 'final' footage, but that's easier said than done. Guess it'll be up to him whether he wants to take the extra time between takes to do it; daylight's pretty limited these days so I'm thinking he might just say f'it and leave them there. They are kinda obtrusive tho. :think:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
it would be pro quality if you shot a little earlier in the golden hour and got those ladders out of the way.

I loved the shot of the guy jumping and pointing to the camera guy as they're both in motion.

At the end of your shoot, you may want to keep the lower end of the cable attached and re-anchor the upper to a spot lower than the previous lower anchor, thereby getting another shot down the trail with very little extra cable set-up time.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
He's currently got two cables set up (second starts just below where the first one ends, so he can get 'overlapping' shots). I think we're going to try to put up a third on Friday. Maybe we can 'flip' the ones at either end like you suggested - that would work out to almost 1000' of coverage. It's really too bad we can't clone Mark and his camera.

Thanks for the input - I'll be sure to post his finished product up here when it's done.

Eammon - the kid doing the ripping is the guy from the Worcester shuttles the week before that tackled that leafy free-fall beside the waterfall. Helluva good rider huh? Damn...

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
The rider? Or the understater? :biggrin:

The rider was Jared; guess he works at Bike Alley. Met him for the first time at Worcester the week before; he was only there for one run (and he pushed up and hit that steep line above where we parked). He came out with Jen this weekend and put on quite the show; should be back out this w/e along with some other rippers Mark's planning on rounding up.

You should swing out for a brew or two Joe - it's my 40th farking b-day Saturday too.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Skinny Mike mentioned I should come out Saturday........unfortunately I'll be working. I really wanted to go there again before the snow hit, and the window of opportunity is getting smaller and smaller.:banghead:

Any chance they'll be peeps hitting it Sunday too? I could probably swing that......Especially if this weekend is your b-day and all. :)

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I think we'll try to get out as much as weather/hangovers allow this weekend. Right now there's an inch of so of snow on the ground there already - probably won't last tho. And when it gets too deep, we bust out the ski-bikes!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'll have to see what I have left for homebrew after Thursday. My bourbon porter got almost emptied at the volunteer appreciation cookout, my Irish red ale is feeling a little light too. I do have a keg of my Pilsner that hasn't been tapped yet...

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
I think Jared has family obligations on Saturday but he's hoping to come back out on Sunday.

Eammon, you totally need to get out there...I'm going to shoot for both days. Especially now that I know that Saturday is b-day for Dennis! :happydance:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it would be pro quality if you shot a little earlier in the golden hour and got those ladders out of the way.
ditto.

[photosnob]
if it's just to show off to your buddies then disregard my advice, but i'd have liked to see more consistency in the lighting and white balance everything from the zipline, at that perfect time of the day, and white balanced so that the warm light looked just so (some shots were exactly like this!
[/photosnob]

:cheers:

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Right on - this video was just a little something our buddy threw together to get people fired up for what he plans to be a 'real' shoot this coming weekend. He's bringing a couple guys that can rip (the guy that 'stars' in this clip as well as the cow will be back too I'm betting) and we throw out a general invite on the local boards. Usually get a good turnout; the trail's pretty fun and it's literally in a friends backyard, so we got BBQ, brews, fire, etc going on. :cheers:

The only footage that he took was the actual zipline stuff (oops - and the stream gap stuff, but that was really late in the day); the rest was a hodgepodge that other people ended who happend to have cameras with them shot; we all tossed him our tapes and he mashed it togther in a day and posted it up on his site www.veilleuxfilms.com. Check it out - lots of good stuff there. Don't miss the link to the old site either - there's a clip on here called 'dave rides the tree' that's about the funniest f'ing mtb bit I've ever seen. Keep the volume up. :biggrin: I even spotted a vid in here titiled 'Monkeyfest 2003'...

http://www.veilleuxfilms.com/oldsite/index.htmL

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
lol Im kind of limited... Mostly to when I can find someone to cart me around (mostly woodsguy good a time as any to thank him for bussing around the degenerate all season). Also I dont think my little xc sugar will hold up all that well if I started getting into the stuff I want to be crashing on lol.

Slabysz

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Boston
Wow, Christmas comes early! Awesome footage. I was really hoping to get out there again. Mind if my ear falls on the same ground? I can't promise any no-footers, at least not intentionally. I'm off from work till the 29th if you need any help rigging, etc. I'd be glad to move ladders on shoot day. If you contact Eammon, he can convey info. to me.

Slab

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Oh my god that was a funny clip on the archive site! " Oooh, Owh ,Right in the N U T Z!"
:biggrin: I could watch that 20 times in a row and still laugh every time.

Pete- sounds like there'll definitely be folks out there Sunday. Tomorrow is looking pretty likely too; I'll post up in various places once I get some better detail.

Slabysz

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Boston
Cool! Hopefully, my lats will stop spasming. It took a minute to figure out why. Then I remembered that I took my brother's giant lab for a walk yesterday and he pulled on the leash the whole time. Man, I must be getting old ;-)

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
Hey thanks to everyone for giving me some props! and thanks again for allowing me to ride with you guys, hopefully I can get out there on saturday, but who knows. I've got my 10 year high school reunion on sat night up in ipswich, ma. so If I can find a ride from that area I'd love to go! Anyways, have fun up there, and thanks again! especially to jen for inviting/driving my ass up there!
Jarrod