Quantcast

the smells of a road ride

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So riding into work today, it downed on me that you smell a lot more "stuff" on road rides than on MTB rides. On an MTB ride, you smell the woods and that's about it. If you're lucky, you get to smell some horse poo. This morning on the road, I smelled a dead skunk, a cow farm ( :dead: ), a donut shop ( :drool: ), freshly cut grass, and plenty of car fumes. The donut shop was the worst though...not because it smelled bad, but because it smelled so damn good.

Ehhh...that's all.

:monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ther is nothing worse than sprinting up a hill and getting a lung full of death stench from road kill when your body is screaming for more air than you can give it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Heidi said:
So did you have to drive halfway, or what?
The drive is 31 miles each way but I didn't want to press my luck. I drove 1/3 of the way, parked in a lot, and biked the remaining 21 miles. I don't think the full 31 miles will be a problem. It's mostly flat. I'll have a better idea after the ride home and how I feel in the morning. The hardest climb will be the mile up to my house on the way home, once I do the full 31.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I Are Baboon said:
The drive is 31 miles each way but I didn't want to press my luck. I drove 1/3 of the way, parked in a lot, and biked the remaining 21 miles. I don't think the full 31 miles will be a problem. It's mostly flat. I'll have a better idea after the ride home and how I feel in the morning. The hardest climb will be the mile up to my house on the way home, once I do the full 31.

Cool - yah, after riding there and then home a couple times a week, every little rise feels like a mountain. :dead:

Good luck and I'm proud of ya!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
The single worstest smell in the whole world is a mushroom farm. It permeates every pore in your body and is so pungent you can taste it. Only slightly better is a pig farm (or pig truck.)

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
the worse smell i have ever witnessed, and i say witness is because someone in front of another rider on a road ride i was on, farted, causing the person behing to literally puke i am not joking at all about this, it had to have been the worse thing ever!!!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Meh, I live in Vermont so I'm passing farms all the time on the road. Do it enough times and you get used to it. Smells like Vermont, you know?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One time I had a road race in Prospect Park located in Brooklyn. The whole night it rained, and the sewers were overflowing. The final kilometer you had to ride through raw sewage to the finish line....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I live in West Seattle, so every ride that originates from home starts with several miles of industrial bliss. Steel mills, concrete plants, shipping yards, etc. Just beyond all of that, it smells alot like teriyaki for a good mile or so. After a mile or two of exhaust fumes from riding adjacent to a local highway, I finally begin to smell grass, flowers and odors associated with a bike trail!
Usually reverse the order of the above for the return trip, but I usually wind my ride up going along Alki Beach, so add seabreezes, bbqs, bonfires and tanning oil (at least around summer) to the odor palette.

No matter where you are, if you start to smell something rusty on an overcast day then you are likely about to get wet.;)

Olyroller

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
Olympia, WA USA
sanjuro said:
One time I had a road race in Prospect Park located in Brooklyn. The whole night it rained, and the sewers were overflowing. The final kilometer you had to ride through raw sewage to the finish line....
Keeping in theme . . . .

One day while riding the flats in the Dairy fields, we came around a blind corner and into a strong headwind along with a very heavy mist of liquid cow manure that was being sprayed 100ft through the air by a
huge sprinkle that sat 15ft up. The sprinkler proceed to pace us for next 200 ft. It was on our tongues and in our eyes. Possibly in our lungs ?

And you know what ?

IT SMELLED !!!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Olyroller said:
Keeping in theme . . . .

One day while riding the flats in the Dairy fields, we came around a blind corner and into a strong headwind along with a very heavy mist of liquid cow manure that was being sprayed 100ft through the air by a
huge sprinkle that sat 15ft up. The sprinkler proceed to pace us for next 200 ft. It was on our tongues and in our eyes. Possibly in our lungs ?

And you know what ?

IT SMELLED !!!
Harshness. That was almost too descriptive as the thought of that happening nearly made me gag.:dead:
I'll be sure to not join in on that ride any time...ever.:)