Quantcast

The snow thread.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Well, let me back track a bit. "Very good" is relative. Pioneer Ridge area isn't open yet so it's not really that good. However, for what we had to live w/ for the past 3 weeks, it's realllllly gooooood. The bumps should be getting pretty soft and I'll be happy with that if we don't get 12"+.
BTW, I scored a pair of 195 Salomon AK Rockets from last year. DUUUUDE! Big fat long powder planks!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
Well, let me back track a bit. "Very good" is relative. Pioneer Ridge area isn't open yet so it's not really that good. However, for what we had to live w/ for the past 3 weeks, it's realllllly gooooood. The bumps should be getting pretty soft and I'll be happy with that if we don't get 12"+.
BTW, I scored a pair of 195 Salomon AK Rockets from last year. DUUUUDE! Big fat long powder planks!
Are those like the Pocket Rockets?

I'm still on 195 Dynastar X8s. :eek: :thumb:

Of course, with Steamboat Champagne, fat boards are a bit of overkill. :D

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
:thumb:
SkaredShtles said:
Are those like the Pocket Rockets?

I'm still on 195 Dynastar X8s. :eek: :thumb:

Of course, with Steamboat Champagne, fat boards are a bit of overkill. :D

-S.S.-
No. They're called AK Rockets. They have the pilot system and they only come in one size: 195cm. There's couple of different models, I have the regular one, but there's also a swallow tail version.
I'll tell ya, the fatties are the best. These skis are so floaty in the light that during the first day when it was ball-deep, I never bottomed whereas some of my biddies did. They still let you sink in enough to get the boiling snow over your shoulder thing tho :drool:
Now if I can find a chic that will come "float" with me and then have crazy monkey sex after, I'll be in hog's heaven! :thumb:

Edit: She's gotta ride DH too :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
:thumb:

<snip>
I'll tell ya, the fatties are the best. These skis are so floaty in the light that during the first day when it was ball-deep, I never bottomed whereas some of my biddies did. They still let you sink in enough to get the boiling snow over your shoulder thing tho :drool:
Yeah...... I skied fatties down at Silverton (BigStix 106) and at San Juan Snowcats (AK Launchers). I've determined that I'd be *WAY* too fast on those things. I'd be waiting for my buddies for *hours* :D

Oh, and I can't bring myself to spend more than $19.95 for skis. Dammit.

Aren't "biddies" good for monkey sex?? :confused:

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah...... I skied fatties down at Silverton (BigStix 106) and at San Juan Snowcats (AK Launchers). I've determined that I'd be *WAY* too fast on those things. I'd be waiting for my buddies for *hours* :D

Oh, and I can't bring myself to spend more than $19.95 for skis. Dammit.

Aren't "biddies" good for monkey sex?? :confused:

-S.S.-
I guess it's different when you actually live in a ski area. There's a rule on powder days: you have no friends; wait for no one! So skiiing fast I think is another relative thing.
The AK Launchers are what I'm talking about. Their full name a couple of years ago is AK Rocket Launchers. Now, they're called AK Rockets. Great skis!
What are biddies? Do you mean Betties? Yeah, they're good for a xxx throwdown. But a lot of them ride on those lunch trays and have bad attitudes. I just wanna find a good ski chic to go float some ball deep (bean deep for her) pow with. Trust me, it's difficult to find a quality chic skier & biker who's got it together upstairs too. In my 14 years here, I've only ran into a handful and they were all married. The goods go quick I guess.

Edit: Plus, I'm sure you've heard about the dating scene in resort towns:
The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Snow update:
I know it doesn't look like there's anything happening on the satellite imaging loop, but we're getting hit. If you don't see another post here by, say 10:30pm, that's because I'm asleep to press glass (rope drop for other areas) at 7:00am tomorrow. Only like 7 inches fell during the day today, and I didn't go up today because it would have been fluff on boiler plate, perfect for shin bang.
Will update in a few hours.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I'm probably moving up to steamboat next fall. I don't know why I'm posting this, but I am.

In other news, Eldora was actually pretty nice this morning.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Fall's kewl. Early fall is better than late fall 'cause there's still riding then.
I'm moving to Golden in the Fall. I don't know why I posted that too.
Say, how's Eldora for bumps? I know the area isn't big, but are there any good zipper lines to be had there?

Edit: forgot the snow report. It stopped :(
I guess I won't be pressing glass. Prob. go up mid day to run some bump lines.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Pau11y said:
Eldora for bumps? I know the area isn't big, but are there any good zipper lines to be had there?

nooooooooo! Eldoras bumps are a nightmare. Sometimes, if you're lucky you can get three or four turns before you need to stop and find a new line. Now, I'm not very good at bumps, but I can get a heck of a lot farther at most other places than I can anywhere at Eldo.

I've never been to steamboat, how is it as far as steeper stuff and trees?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Take it from one bumper to another, eldo isn't a good idea for bumps unless you love shin bang....

Mary Jane is only 1 hour a way vs 40 for eldora (maybe 30)

I can't believe i was just driving to the mountains, and for the first time, turned around cause traffic was so bad and I didn't feel like burning a day at vail by myself...

What is with all these "friends" of mine working too much or getting hurt? When did a job become more important than skiing?

I can't WAIT to get to steamboat~

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Edit, I just picked up a pair of AK Enemys (Seth pistol replaced em) Not 100mm waist or anything but they're plenty fat to float plus are skiable even when the snow is skiied off...

Rossi Scratch FS's are mounted up

Now I just have to get my Lines mounted as tele skis and give that a run...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
neversummersnow said:
Edit, I just picked up a pair of AK Enemys (Seth pistol replaced em) Not 100mm waist or anything but they're plenty fat to float plus are skiable even when the snow is skiied off...

Rossi Scratch FS's are mounted up

Now I just have to get my Lines mounted as tele skis and give that a run...
Hehehe.. Just another knee droppin', tree huggin' fa99ot....j/k
That's what we call tele-heads here. Hey NeverSummerSnow, you can have my job when I move to Golden in Aug. I'm IS Manager for Sheraton. Generally, I can get out for every pow day (provided nothing is melting down) for at least 2 hours. And if you ski angry like you have no friends, 2 hours is about all you need. It pays like crap, but you get 1/2 $$ season passes, get to keep all your crap at the office, and have underground covered parking everyday :thumb:

Anyway, snow update is it's not deep enough for a full blown pow day, only about 7 inches in the last 24h. However, it' is going to be an epic bumps day. You know those hero bumps where you don't really have to turn and you can ski them at a million miles an hour... I'm going up at around noon to become a superhero in the bumps :D

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
neversummersnow said:
What is with all these "friends" of mine working too much or getting hurt? When did a job become more important than skiing?
QUOTE]

Let me know if you want to ski some time. I just finished high school early and I don't have a job right now, so all I can really do is sit here (which is the option I seem to have choosen for today) or ski.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
T0mo said:
nooooooooo! Eldoras bumps are a nightmare. Sometimes, if you're lucky you can get three or four turns before you need to stop and find a new line. Now, I'm not very good at bumps, but I can get a heck of a lot farther at most other places than I can anywhere at Eldo.

I've never been to steamboat, how is it as far as steeper stuff and trees?
There's no steeps in the 'Boat. But the trees.... ahhhhh
The only thing about the trees is you'll need to get good in the bumps cause they're pretty bump'd up in there. But on a deep day, it doesn't matter. Also, now, they're not that good cause there's not enough coverage yet. The new area, Pioneer Ridge (formerly OB and called the Middle Rib) isn't open yet.
You guys will love this story:
Remember that first (ball-deep) day I keep referring to? Well, I went into the trees to poach some deep fluff. I don't know what in the blue blazes I was thinking but I went into the dense pines to "thread some trees" there. I got caught by a widow maker (a down'd tree laying across your dir of travle about a foot off the ground) and took my right ski off. My left ski went over it and hit something on the other side and took it off too. Next, I superman'd into a pile of snow and hit something so hard it stopped me dead. If I wasn't wearing my full face DH helmet, I'd be missing a chin right now 'cause it was the face guard that hit what turned out to be a stump.
Moral of the story, those DH helmets have a use in the winter time :love:

Edit: I guess I never answered the question about the trees. They're arguably the best in the world and anyone who's ever skied Steamboat will vouch for that.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
On another note. If the powers that be for Steamboat's ski area ever getz their collective heads out of their asses, that Pioneer Ridge area is PRIME for a world cup level DH course. It's serviced by a high speed quad and has a pitch you can't ride up. There's a great staging area at the bottom for the finish line.
The only thing is ppl will have to hike up or down to get to it for spectating. It does have a service road most of the way there and a relatively flat hike the rest of the way (1/4 to 1/3 of a mile).
But ASC (the parent Co of Steamboat Ski & Resort Corp) is so broke right now all they can do is promise us 2 DH specific trails this coming summer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
I guess it's different when you actually live in a ski area. There's a rule on powder days: you have no friends; wait for no one! So skiiing fast I think is another relative thing.
Yeah - that's why I stay on skinnies. That way there can be "no friends" and yet, we can still ski together. ;)

The AK Launchers are what I'm talking about. Their full name a couple of years ago is AK Rocket Launchers. Now, they're called AK Rockets. Great skis!
:think: But the AK Launchers are K2s........ :confused:

What are biddies? Do you mean Betties?
You're the one that used the term "biddies" :confused:

We used to call chicks "biddies" back in the day..... I wonder if "Betties" is simply a morph of the term. :think:

-S.S.-

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
short is good for a dh course. One of the best courses I have ever ridden was at the worst resort in the state... that resort: Solvista!!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
DHblur said:
short is good for a dh course. One of the best courses I have ever ridden was at the worst resort in the state... that resort: Solvista!!!
Bwaaaaahahahahaha! Goes to show where *my* brain is. I thought he was talking about a World Cup Downhill *ski* course........... :p

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Bwaaaaahahahahaha! Goes to show where *my* brain is. I thought he was talking about a World Cup Downhill *ski* course........... :p

-S.S.-
Nahhh. Steamboat couldn't have a WC DH ski course. There's just not enough of a continuous shot to pull that off. Bikes, tho, is another story.
SS, you skied it. Wouldn't the terrain in there be pretty damn cool for a course? I hiked in there for several summers and it's a lot more tech than you'd think when it's all covered by snow. I think a little crew of maniacs and some chain saws and shovels.....
Hehehe.. the Forest Service would pass gold bricks tho if we just went up there and went nutz. I'd be a hike and a half to get to the top w/ a big bike tho.

Edit: I take that back, they had women's WC DH here one year. I heard it was a lame course tho.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I was planning on going up berthoud, but I'll see what I can do. I'll probably go if I can score a lift ticket (I've got a couple ways that might work out).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
T0mo said:
so I guess this is one of those "congratulations/sorry to hear that" times. :think:
Kind of. I was worried initially that because of the new baby the season in Colorado was going to be stellar. Luckily, it looks like I don't have to worry about that............ so far. :p

Probably the only chance I'll get to go up is to take my oldest (3-1/2) skiing.....

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
fuzzynutz said:
steamboat won't even let you bring a DH bike to the mtn. Why would you think they would put in DH courses?
That's changed. The last 3 weekend they opened it back up to big bikes. It wan't announced but it was fully opened. The bummer was our trails sucks big hairy donkey ones. The one nice bootleg trail that some of the kids had build is all but torn up by the Forest Service now. Rumor has it the area was going to build 2 DH specific trails for us (I'm sure one easy one and one more difficult), but I'll believe that when I see it.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, there's always Vail tho. Winter Park was also going to build more DH trails. Too bad the Beav is now closed. Remember Rocklined... That was the only trail I've ever felt "scared" on. My bike was set w/ too steep of a head angle and I pretty much frontside manual the entire trail.

GravityPilot

Chimp
Jan 13, 2004
Frisco, CO
I just got my Pocket Rockets mounted with some AT bindings. They fricken cool. I also just got my skins cut in time to go down to the Jauns. So needless to say I'm stoked. I'm headin up to Summit this weekend to ski, lots of new snow.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
steamboat has steeps man! the hike to north facing stuff is short but there are countless lines and lots of stuff to jump off of...one of my fav places in Colorado for sure!

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Pioneer Ridge would be sweet for a DH race but the gondy offers plenty of great possiblities for a WC level DH race course...plus the finish would be at the bottom! I put exclamation marks after everything because Vail is getting pounded! And I have to work today! Stay happy stay happy stay happy...don't quit don't quit...breath breath...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
neversummersnow said:
steamboat has steeps man! the hike to north facing stuff is short but there are countless lines and lots of stuff to jump off of...one of my fav places in Colorado for sure!
Steamboat would be hands down my favorite mountain if only those steeps were about another 1000 vertical feet long............. :D

-S.S.-

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
T0mo said:
Nice! What size?

I'm thinking about ordering the splitboard kit. I've got 2 old boards in my room that would be possible to convert.
184, I ride a 162 burton for lifts, I wanted a powder monster. Thought about getting the swallowtail but I talked to a friend that has one and he said he didnt think the cutout did much, and I didnt want to give up the ability to ride switch.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
TheInedibleHulk said:
184, I ride a 162 burton for lifts, I wanted a powder monster. Thought about getting the swallowtail but I talked to a friend that has one and he said he didnt think the cutout did much, and I didnt want to give up the ability to ride switch.
That's HUGE!!!! :drool: Thats the kind of board I need to get for pow.