Quantcast

The Social Dilemma

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Does that mean our lizard overlords have exploited our lizard brain to give bike magazine necessary ad revenue to continue dominating?

Because monetized search and ads (google) and monetized social media is just like online forums.

umm, yeah... both have ads only the former curates content to the viewer based on their data hoovering.

Pretty sure all of us see the same posts (in general terms) with ads, depending on your adblock preferences, not what the MonkeyLizard algorithm thinks you and you alone should see.

Posting this on an online public forum:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wait, what, people spend loads of non billable hours making a functioning product that I like and is free to use and they use my info to make money? Cunts!

I got a Google Home as a gift a couple of years ago, it's still in its protective packaging.
IMGP6257.jpg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You're either the target market or the product. It's not rocket surgery.

The financée has seen this doc, I haven't yet. That said, it's one of the reasons she (and also I) has quit logging in to Facebook. I should go actually delete that thing... maybe.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You're either the target market or the product. It's not rocket surgery.

The financée has seen this doc, I haven't yet. That said, it's one of the reasons she (and also I) has quit logging in to Facebook. I should go actually delete that thing... maybe.
Once you see how difficult they make it for you to permanently delete, you'll want to even moar.
they do allow you to download your media history (all pics) however they d/l in smaller file sizes which kind of sucks.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Once you see how difficult they make it for you to permanently delete, you'll want to even moar.
:stupid:

I haven't had a FB account for 2 or 3 years now, but it was straight up fucking creepy how hard they make it for you to ditch them. That in and of itself shows some real pernicious intent IMHO.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
what I got from the flick is that it is far, far more complex than rocket surgery.
I thought it was pretty simple. Take advantage of the weak sides of human nature. Instant gratification, acceptance by others, insecurity, attention whoring.

I've also never built a rocket, so I don't really know how it compares. But I bet I could suck someone into responding to this post before I could break the stratosphere.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Probably makes a minor difference, but I actively blocked bookface cookies on my computers. I haven't used my account in about 8+ years, I deleted everything from it, don't recall if I cancelled it at the time.