Quantcast

The state of the garage door Wednesday

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Honestly I do love the immediate and incredible syncing of imessage and my photos. Yes windows has icloud but it's so handicapped compared to the real thing. It's incredible taking a photo with my phone then sending an email to a contractor with a typed message and that photo attached. Your daughter may love the thing because apple, but if I were looking for universal compatibility and something that would set them up for success in a professional environment, I think windows should do it. Seriously I can't even set my touchpad to scroll one way and my mouse to scroll similar to windows without a special program running. Simple answer is that apple doesn't want you to use a mouse, they want you on their touchpad.

Since I lied and am blathering on about it, here's a suggestion for a laptop:

I am suggesting this one for my next employer. Super powerful, 90hz refresh rate screen is easier to look at, 2.5k is higher res than HD, discrete graphics will do any games or video processing, powerful processor with a HD front camera. Touch screen so you can pinch+zoom on google maps, and glorious INPUTS so you can stick an HDMI cable in and present in front of class. Screen is in between a 13.5" and 15.6" which could be good or bad, I dunno.
Yup. She wants the ease of iPhone & iPad to Computer which is why I am actually considering the MacBook. I was looking at Lenovos because I have personally used one and had great luck. She will probably get a MacBook because I will cave but wanted to see what the monkeys thought first.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
entry price for any model macbook is a grand. you can get a comparably spec'd windows laptop for almost half that.

here's a thought - set a budget (say, $700 just as an example) and tell her she can pick what she wants, but anything above the budget she would have to make up the difference.
Lol. We went this route with the discussion last night (though I did say under $800)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
one thing i've already been working on with my kids is making decisions with their money. they are both already VERY good at setting a goal for something they want (like a big lego set) and saving their money to get it.
Yup! Youngest bought herself a switch by saving up for it. We bought her a game and case. So oldest knows, but doesn't like reality lol

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

There's this, which I bought my wife. I think they say it's last year's model or whatever, but if you're buying a mac you probably aren't actually that concerned with processing power (m1 vs. m2 chip). I know my wife won't be doing heavy processing or anything, just stuff you need a laptop for and she prefers a mac. Ironically we both agreed that macs suck for work use and are great for home/personal stuff. I debated getting one for internet surfing and home stuff (the mac ecosystem is great) but ended up with an ipad and keyboard case instead!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you do switch back to looking for Windows OS, Dell outlet can have stuff at a great price. Wife and I have used it a few times.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Yup. She wants the ease of iPhone & iPad to Computer which is why I am actually considering the MacBook. I was looking at Lenovos because I have personally used one and had great luck. She will probably get a MacBook because I will cave but wanted to see what the monkeys thought first.
If she's a Mac fan-gurl us window folks are just wasting your time.

But I'm also a Lenovo fanboi so I got my HS grad this + they had some 18% rebate last month for signing up for deferred payments for a nominal fee

($739 -> $564 ftw)

I gather this machine was to be sold in India so the keyboard has a rupe key, but you have some time to shop for similar deals.

At least there's no chip shortages a la COVID ;)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
when i checked Costco earlier this morning the cheapest one listed was $950
Might/must be a newer model. I know I didn’t pay anywhere near that. It’s great for personal use but probably not what I’d choose for business type productivity. Not that it couldn’t (and isn’t done), just wouldn’t be my first choice for that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Might/must be a newer model. I know I didn’t pay anywhere near that. It’s great for personal use but probably not what I’d choose for business type productivity. Not that it couldn’t (and isn’t done), just wouldn’t be my first choice for that.
i don't doubt it, but it may have been a sale price on an older model they were trying to clear out.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I'm all in on Apple ecosystem. I can work on any type of system, but for me personally, I use Macs. It's slick and it'll be a cold day in hell before I let Microsoft shit in my mouth like Windows 11 does. I'll pay the few hundred extra bucks for something better.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I was traffic yesterday as we did the Old Faithful / Canyon (Upper/Lower Falls) tour yesterday with my buddy from Costa Rica...

Hot day, so we didn't see many critters outside of hordes of homo sapiens...

IMG_20240709_155854059_HDR_copy_2048x1536.jpg

We were racing daylight -- brink of upper falls.

IMG_20240709_212320768_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Free range bison, eating that tasty grass outside OF Lodge

IMG_20240709_182631965_HDR_copy_1536x2048.jpg

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm all in on Apple ecosystem. I can work on any type of system, but for me personally, I use Macs. It's slick and it'll be a cold day in hell before I let Microsoft shit in my mouth like Windows 11 does. I'll pay the few hundred extra bucks for something better.
OK, Gramps. :D

Well there's no fucking ads in my OS so yeah
I don't even know what this means... :think: