Quantcast

The Story of Tollwut Gravity Bikes & the ultimate gearbox Racer

Sep 17, 2011
The History of Tollwut gravity bikes:

Aljoscha Schmidt well experienced in welding bike frames for a big german bike manufactory started to handcraft his own DH bike.
The first prototyp in 2001:

He sold a few bikes which are still up to date with the performance and hard to get on the used bike market.
One who owns a frame doesn't sell it.

In 2004 Jens Böttner won on a Toolwut Ladyshapa the german official DH Series before the german champion Markus Klausmann (GHOST Bikes).

After a few years he stoped building the frame, because the trend went to monocoque frames, which were to expensiv with a small number of frames.

Later on a good buddy of Josch, Ralf Tröger a GHOST dual cup racer and Tollwut Ladyshapa rider finished his mechanical engineering study with his master thesis supported by Centurion Bikes.
The first prototyp bike - > Master thesis of Ralf Tröger

The first official Stonedigger presented by Centurion Bikes and Ralf Tröger at the EUROBIKE 2006 trade fair.

The knowledge of the kinematic is easy to explain with LEGO, pull the rope (chain) and you see the upper chassis stays still and the below one lifts.

-> You see, the usually constructed Chassis kill rear perfomance while speeding up the bike.

Centurion was not further interested to bring such a gravity bike in a serie.
Thats when Ralf and Josch found together again. Josch was based on his experience building DH Race bikes a hugh help to bring the bike to it todays quality and perfection.
Together they developed the Evolution 2 of the Stonedigga which was the rebirth of the brind Tollwut (eng.: rabies or canine madness)

The ROHLOFF booth at the EUROBIKE 2009 trade fair : Presenting the first Tollwut Stonedigger Evo 2

The bike of the ROHLOFF booth on the EUROBIKE 2010 trade fair:

The constructor testing the bike at the Morzine Alps - France

The bike of the ROHLOFF booth on the EUROBIKE 2011 trade fair and Winterberg Dirt Masters 2011:

(Brown single crown bike 18,6 kg, new feature is the 1.5 stearing)

An ultimate projekt - constructing a frame around a carbon 80 mm bottom bracket, with carbon and titanium bike kit.

Customer Bikes:

The orange Bike has a weight of 19,0 kg:

The stolen Teamrider Bike 2012

You can order Bikes directly at josch homepage:

www.achtung-tollwut.de

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2011
Some client videos:

Teamrider on the testbike waiting for his Sponsorbike (the stolen one) :(

[video]http://videos.mtb-news.de/videos/view/17130/h[/video]

Sep 17, 2011
Matthias Wengenroth with the Tollwut Testbike on a Roadtrip

Winner Overall Ranking iXS German Downhill Cup 2010 - Free Man

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Meine Güte!, Sieht gut aus mein Kamerad, wie ist die Marke Planung zu dominieren und übernehmen die gesamte Europas mit solchen zukunftsorientierten Industrie-Design

Sep 17, 2011
Meine Güte!, Sieht gut aus mein Kamerad, wie ist die Marke Planung zu dominieren und übernehmen die gesamte Europas mit solchen zukunftsorientierten Industrie-Design
This Bike is not designed, it is engineered, form follows function.... you want design, you can be the next investor and finance more design and different pipe forms during the time the number of frames is still small manufactored, the idea is handcrafted in germany, with german quality. The asians allready asked for business on the EUROBIKE fair, but TOLLWUT is not going to weld bikes in taiwan

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dig it, it's just soooo german though. Has to be a rohloff instead of an alfine. Gotta have a million machined bits. No floaters, because lawills never needed those. Better make 1000 machined bits then put titanium and carbon parts on to lighten it up.

I'd really like to like it, but it honestly looks like a better candidate for just moving the hub to the rear wheel and freeing up that space above the BB, then you'd have shorter CS and a cleaner setup.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
hell i am German, i like the idea a lot actually, the execution is not my cup of tea.
still the whole bike is evolving and it became better over the years.

still should Pinion ever get their system upgraded so that it can use standard cranks and have a 7-8 speed DH version i think thats the way to go!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I dig it, it's just soooo german though. Has to be a rohloff instead of an alfine. Gotta have a million machined bits. No floaters, because lawills never needed those. Better make 1000 machined bits then put titanium and carbon parts on to lighten it up.

I'd really like to like it, but it honestly looks like a better candidate for just moving the hub to the rear wheel and freeing up that space above the BB, then you'd have shorter CS and a cleaner setup.
To be honest I like some of the german overengineered bikes but up to a certain point. Nicolai Ion looks awesome but here? I agree with you. Not to mention 19kg with a boxxer wc and stans front and back? So the frame is at least 7kg. With a more burly build you would get a 20kg bike and that weight starts to get noticable. For gearboxes to get more mainstream the bikes need to get into resonable weight. That's why I'm so happy for Zerode.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I rode my Zerode all day in the mud today. Not a missed shift, no weird noises and completely silent. The thing is amazing. I don't keep my bikes more than 2 seasons and I'm going to hold on to the Zerode for a long time. It pedals amazingly and just eats up the big bumps. I love shifting without pedaling. I feel like I'm a lot faster. I still need to get use to the shifter though, since I've been on Sram for so many years.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Got to try a Zerode last summer in Morzine, and I was blown away. Rear end torsional stiffness was better than my triple-chainstay'ed demo. Bump absorption was crazy good.

Just waiting to see how switching factories plays out for them, and really hoping for a carbon 6.5" all mtn version.

Anyways, the Trollwut is a bit too far out there for me. All the little machined webs and rectangular windows seem like a bad way to design (oops sorry, I mean engineer) things. Just my opinion.

Oh, and it's gripshift. No sale.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Can anyone compare on the zerode jumping ability?
It jumps great. It pops really well with the CCDB... now that I have it tuned. At first I was a little worried, but I think I have this CCDB finally figured out. Mine is a little heavy at 43 lbs, but it feels no different than my 39 lb 951 did. I would even say it jumps better than my 951. I always felt like I had to work to make the 951 pop off lips. The Zerode is much easier. The bike is insane fast in the rough stuff. I am truly amazed by this bike so far. I cant wait for Whistler.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
a zerode would be my pick if i was in the market for a new DH frame. I think the graphics are ugly as sin (thats just my opinion though) but everything else on it is flawless, just bumping up the rebound for runs with lots of jumps would make it pop pretty good, thats what i've always like about single pivots is that tuning the rebound a little gives you a predictable outcome

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
a zerode would be my pick if i was in the market for a new DH frame. I think the graphics are ugly as sin (thats just my opinion though) but everything else on it is flawless, just bumping up the rebound for runs with lots of jumps would make it pop pretty good, thats what i've always like about single pivots is that tuning the rebound a little gives you a predictable outcome
I got new stickers made for mine for $50.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
really hoping for a carbon 6.5" all mtn version.
yes! i heard another rumour lately that it was still in the pipeline. my only concern is if it could be built w/o too significant a weight penalty. a couple lbs on a dh chassis is no big deal, but can be a deal breaker on an am rig. not sure how the attributes of a high pivot (growing cs length = less playful / poppy nature) translate to a slower speed bike. still, i lust after the proto.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Compare to what? It is harder to manual than a traditional bike. But getting off the ground on rocks or lipped take offs the bike feels pretty neutral.
I would like it to be at least slightly more popy than my legend because as much as I love my frame that's the only quarel I have with it and I wouldn't want a frame that's harder to get off the ground. And I mean lips as well as flat ground to jump over stuff.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I would like it to be at least slightly more popy than my legend because as much as I love my frame that's the only quarel I have with it and I wouldn't want a frame that's harder to get off the ground. And I mean lips as well as flat ground to jump over stuff.
Well the Legend we had I only ran with a REVOX. SO I am not sure how it would have ridden with an RC4. I thought the Legend and it were pretty close on hopping or jumping off lips. I run rebound somewhat fast.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well the Legend we had I only ran with a REVOX. SO I am not sure how it would have ridden with an RC4. I thought the Legend and it were pretty close on hopping or jumping off lips. I run rebound somewhat fast.
I also run mine pretty fast but it has noticeably less pop than most bikes I've tried. That being said I'm anal about my bike setup.

Sep 17, 2011
No one needs to buy a bike, if it is not his design. Design allways splits people.
I allways dreamed about a FOES MONO 2:1 until i was riding it. Because I liked the design.

I am sure the Zerode works pretty and I like the design.
It is nice that someone found a concept to get it in a shape like the usual mtbs on market.
Funny is, that 2 companys on the other side of the world have the passion to develop similar concepts. :thumb:

I found some nice pictures about the amaizing Bike of Luxx:

The idea was to build a Stonedigga around a Envy Carbon Bottom Bracket.
The challenge was the dimension of 80 mm than 83 mm bottom bracket.

This bike is complete changed because of this little detail :shocked:

He built up the Bike with Enve Carbon Parts:
- 80 mm Bottom Bracket
- Enve bar
- Enve Cranck Set
- Enve Rims
- Enve Seat Post

-Frame: Tollwut Stonedigga Evo 3 with Titanium Set
- Gear: Rohloff Speedhub 500/14
- Brake: The Cleg
- Suspension: BOS
- Parts: Reset & Canfield

Weight under 19 kg, I think it was 18,7 kgs but I am not sure

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Seems like it has an unnecessary high stack height, give me a shorter straight 1.5 head tube and a year to work and i would gladly lay down some cash for a frame.

Sep 17, 2011
A friend uses the FR Frame 1.5 with a Reset Reducing Set to ride the fork he likes.

Single Crown 1.5 or 200 mm DH fork with 1 1/8.

You will find your answers maybe here: from the web page. www.achtung-tollwut.de

Geometrie Stonedigger Evo3

Reartravel: 205 -230mm
Headtube Angle: 64° - 67°
Toptube Length: 578 - 600mm*
Chainstay Length: 447 - 465mm
BB - Height: 330 - 370mm
BB - Width: 83mm
Wheelbase: 1145 - 1157mm*
Seattube Angle: 59° / 75°
Seattube Length: 440mm*

*Depends On Biometrics

Translated means:

BB - Height: Tretlagerhöhe
Headtube Angle: Lenkwinkel
Seattube Angle: Sitzrohrwinkel
Seattube Angle: Sitzrohrneigungswinkel
Angle of rear shock Dämpferanlenkwinkel
Seattube displacement: Sitzrohversatz
Overhight BB: Tretlagerüberhöhung
Wheelbase: Radstand
Chainstay Length: Hinterbaulänge
Toptube Length: Oberrohrlänge
Reartravel: Federweg

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
such a strange contradiction here - a $1000 carbon crank and a (arguably superfluous) chain cover that uses 24 bolts. the lawill layout is interesting, but i can't help think you could lose a couple pounds weight, and a heap of expense - without any performance or durability sacrifices - with a good bit of editing.

Sep 17, 2011
not covering the primary drivetrain will be lighter !!

it is allready in their minds ;-)

There is more potential to make it lighter. But that needs time and money to do.

such a strange contradiction here - a $1000 carbon crank and a (arguably superfluous) chain cover that uses 24 bolts. the lawill layout is interesting, but i can't help think you could lose a couple pounds weight, and a heap of expense - without any performance or durability sacrifices - with a good bit of editing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Uh, they could lose 30-60minutes of machine time and 1/2lb by dropping 18 bolts, especially if all that it's doing is covering the chain and isn't structural, as it doesn't appear to be. Nothing wrong with keeping it covered, it just doesn't have to be covered with 1/4 thick aluminum and 24 steel bolts.