Quantcast

the sweetest kid's bike ever

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
It's for this little friend of mine on his combined 13th b-day and x-mas. It's from his mom and I hooked him up with a bunch of upgrades. Carve stem, dual-rockring guide (added to the stock "box-guide"), lock-on grips and a bolt on derailler guard.

It's got dual 24 x 2.3 rollers, ditch witches, nutted axles, 8 in front rotor, Hayes mechs w kid levers, 165 cranks.

5in. rear travel.

Sooo sweet.
He is going to poop his pants.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dude 2 twin brothers rage that bike at diablo. cept their dad upgraded some parts and now have dual crown forks. they are really good. its scary

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
there was a supertrick one in MBI many years ago by loius collela

The guy had even shortened a set of middleburns for it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
No frickin way my kid is getting a full susser, or even a hardtail until they can ride properly. Manimal is quite right to keep his kid on a rigid bike for a good few more years yet. 13- 15 seems like the earliest age you'd conceivably want to introduce full sus, and only then for situations that actual call for it, not for parental pose value.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
These are my kids rides..........all 24"
The Heckler and the Chameleon are my 10yr old daughters bikes.......she is the 2005 Norba DH National Champion 10 and under.

The Grom is my 7yr old sons sled.....soon to have a Fox DHX5. Future Steve Peat of the world.....thats his idol..........what can I say........I love to ride....and they do too.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
so, racerx... what's the secret to having kids that share your passion for bikes (for *ahem* future reference)? i have a friend that owns a bike shop & has 4 boys, none of whom has glommed on to riding with any enthusiam (much to his chagrin).

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
xy9ine said:
so, racerx... what's the secret to having kids that share your passion for bikes (for *ahem* future reference)? i have a friend that owns a bike shop & has 4 boys, none of whom has glommed on to riding with any enthusiam (much to his chagrin).
I started them at 7 for my girl and 6 for my son, I waited till they asked, and when they did, I started them off on some garage builds and told them that if they accomplished certain riding goals and showed me that they were really into it, that I would make them sweet rides. Basically I tackled it like soccer or any other sport, I try to encourage and compliment, but be strong with them as well "Shake it off, even the pro's crash" comments like that. We watch ALL the dvd's we can and I show them the individual skills each rider has....and eventually they both found riders that they love to watch. I made a commitment, I told them how cool it would be to race around the world and get paid to do it. I drove MASSIVE miles to get them to all the races and I have been a semi agent for my daughter, going to all the Santa Cruz team meetings and showing them that I give my all, as long as they are.

Most of all...........we keep it real fun.......I have a great group of guys and girls that we ride with and it helps having Rennie and Goldman and the other SC JD members to show them the ropes. plus.......I race also, and my wife and parents are all stoked about it. (my Dad is 60 and races DH with us)......it has become our family vacation.....only it happens every weekend..........

In short.....I love it, have made them responsible for their equipment (cleaning) and given them ownership in their future..........and they friggin LOVE it...............these have been some of the best years of my life riding with my pop and both of my kids.........I excpect it will only get better.

Hope this helps. and sorry if I misspelled some stuff.:)

Feb 13, 2005
NC
Those are some sweet rides. My son is currently on a grom but he's starting to out grow it. I've been looking for a bullit or heckler with plans of putting 24's on it. What size is the heckler frame? And how tall is your daughter? My son is just under 5" tall (at 10 yrs. old). I'm thinking about a medium frame with a short stem.

link with pics of the boy

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I build Grow for my friend Tomer too...

for what we pay for the frame , we got a really great bike.

is kind of funny i got a 888 for this frame before we got it and you install it on the bike will be almost a piramidal shape, i just did not have any idea how small this frames really are.

I'm a little worry because i think the frame is a little to short for him(what do you think...!?!?),,, but is kind of funny because on every other bike he looks tinny..
oh well if becomes to small, we just get another frame and keep the good parts to build it up

Actually I think we create a Monster..
before this bike Tomer was pushing his Heavy Kona hardtail as hard as he can, but now with the better frame and good component she is already jumping from 6-7 feet Drops (got the bike 4 days ago)

Oh Tomer is going to race a Ninja 250 at the AFM circuit in california and also some super motard races next year..

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
cortina built a sweet one years ago for one of their vendors kids...it was their super old design...similar swingarm to a chumba...it looks pretty cool...24's with a single crown...it was on ebay a while ago but the guy was asking an arm and a leg but it was still in super good shape.....

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
patineto said:
also some super motard races next year..
where they race the 150s???..i wish they had em on 100's..the 150's are almost as heavy as my 250f

last time i was at n* there were some super young kids that rode the whole sport course on bmx bikes

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
wydopen said:
where they race the 150s???..i wish they had em on 100's..the 150's are almost as heavy as my 250f
He is going to race on a 85cc KTM with small wheels, agains the XR 100 class (Big dudes rides those) he goes pretty good
last time i was at n* there were some super young kids that rode the whole sport course on bmx bikes
they race in stockton, livermore, vallego, sears point among a few other places, actually Tomer is racing this series as trying for his 250 road racing training were his father is the current champion (for the last 2 years)

i just love to help provide a little boy with the oportunity to hone his skills at such a young age, chance most of us never got, well i'm my case i was super clumssy (I'm still super clumssy but i really love it) but he is a "Natural" so maybe some good palpable results will come.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
BigMike said:
Thats awesome!! How much does a bike like that cost?

And hey Manimal, how long until you have to buy one ;)
contact me if your looking for a brand new 2004 big hit grom. $770.00

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
patineto said:
He is going to race on a 85cc KTM with small wheels, agains the XR 100 class (Big dudes rides those) he goes pretty good
they race in stockton, livermore, vallego, sears point among a few other places, actually Tomer is racing this series as trying for his 250 road racing training were his father is the current champion (for the last 2 years)

i just love to help provide a little boy with the oportunity to hone his skills at such a young age, chance most of us never got, well i'm my case i was super clumssy (I'm still super clumssy but i really love it) but he is a "Natural" so maybe some good palpable results will come.

that will be pretty sweet...that 2 smoke might be a little tough on the pavement although it can be done...my buddy won one of the first motard races in the states (in 98) on his clapped out cr 250 with motogear, no leathers and some dual sport tires and stock brakes....he smoked all the top euros that were on thumpers..he said they were to scared to pass em cause he was was barley keeping it on two wheels backing it in the corners hitting the powerband coming out of em and braking loose ...does he have any intrest in racing the 150 class at the ama races??...honda provides identicle bikes for the kids but they gotta have good grades...anyways its good to see you suportin an up and comer