Quantcast

The thin, light tire warning thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just wanted to remind some of you dirtjumpers out there to rotate your tires every once in a while (as in buy new ones). I've had some schwalbe tabletops on my bike for about two years and they had apparently stretched to the point of being dangerous.

I had a rear tire completely blow off the rim a few days ago up the face of a lip. I heard it happen and knew I didn't have a rear tire to land on as soon as I got in the air so I just ditched the bike and rolled down the landing but it could have been much worse if I wasn't just doing a straight air.

I stuck a k-rad on there (certainly not an overly burly tire) but was kind of blown away with how solid it felt. My schwalbes had gotten so stretchy I'd gotten used to my bike wandering around a bit I guess. But I'm never buying thin, light tires for my dirtjumper again.

Just a heads up. I learned my lesson. :D

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, last year I cased a jump hard and thought I broke some spokes because the way the rear wheel was wobbleing but it actually split the side wall of the tire off the bead.

Hate to tell you this, but it was a k-rad. . .

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Since my frame recently gained almost 2 lbs, I've been looking at going with lighter tires.... might rethink that plan now!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
thanks for the heads up. i have an TT tire up front older than yours. still has pretty good tread. i have a steel bead tire in back.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, last year I cased a jump hard and thought I broke some spokes because the way the rear wheel was wobbleing but it actually split the side wall of the tire off the bead.

Hate to tell you this, but it was a k-rad. . .
I'm not married to k-rads or anything, it was just a newer (and slightly beefier) tire. After that happened a buddy started checking his busted old k-rads and they felt just as stretched as the schwalbes that almost just killed me. My point is mostly just that if you're going to use something light, don't keep it on your bike forever.

I don't ride concrete so my tires usually last a pretty good while as far as tread goes. There are some tires that I'll never run for a long time after this little incident.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm talking about the Intense, which I don't think were built to the best tolerances - or at least few batches were not.

Kenda SB8s might blow off the rim too, since they are super light - but I haven't seen that myself. I quit riding that tire as it looked to have a triangular casing profile on my rims.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I dusted off the big bike to go pound some rocks today (haven't done it in a couple years) Aired up the tires, rode around the yard to make sure the brakes worked, started getting my stuff together and I hear this odd noise. . . .

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I have been running the Intense MK2's since February of this year, and have yet to have a single problem with them. I run them at 75psi, and I ride mostly dirt and park mostly, with some street thrown in. I think you'll be fine. It also depends on the rim slightly, as mine are very tight against the rim, whereas a pair that I ordered for a friend are pretty loose on the rim. I run DT E540's and he runs AtomLab Pimp lites.