Quantcast

The things you don't know thread.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hey @johnbryanpeters I know you've posted nuclear related threads before, did you know the uranium used in the Manhattan Project was mined in the Congo?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So where was all of the Moab uranium used?
If I remember, they were trying to secure as much as possible as fast as possible through multiple sources. There were at least the two "plants" on each side of the country refining it to get enough fissionable material for the first bombs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So where was all of the Moab uranium used?
If I remember, they were trying to secure as much as possible as fast as possible through multiple sources. There were at least the two "plants" on each side of the country refining it to get enough fissionable material for the first bombs.
Sounds like it wasn't even worth mining compared to that Congo mine.
Mines in the US and Canada were considered a “good” prospect if they could yield ore with 0.03% uranium. At Shinkolobwe, ores typically yielded 65% uranium. The waste pile of rock deemed too poor quality to bother processing, known as tailings, contained 20% uranium.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sounds like it wasn't even worth mining compared to that Congo mine.
Not sure, my brother is the expert about that, but I seem to recall it's what isotope you are mining, so the 65% may not have been the right isotope or may have required more processing. There are some good vids on it on the 'tube.

Hey @johnbryanpeters I know you've posted nuclear related threads before, did you know the uranium used in the Manhattan Project was mined in the Congo?

And is somewhat buried in the woods where I started riding trails. Red Gate.

View attachment 148314
Interesting stuff, thank you!