Quantcast

The thread for the Galbraith ride in October

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Ok, I thought of a good time for the ride. How about Sunday, October 2, mark your calendars for 11:00 AM to meet at Whatcom Falls Park, we'll ride all day, I have some good routes planned. Post here if you plan on coming. :cool:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Usually we have a lot of people, except for that one time only Skookum showed up... Anyone else coming? Oh, and someone needs to convince girlwhoboards that riding uphill isn't all that bad in the end. ;) :D

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
KNine said:
what trails are you doing? Are you going to work your way up to the towers and then down?
We'll do whatever trails we decide on that day, although I have a few ideas of routes. One time we went to towers and did whoopsie woodle, then back to towers to go down the other side of the mounatin back to the parking lot. And, yes, we work our way up, breaking every now and then to talk as always. :thumb:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Dwaugh, I'll be up there tomorrow with a small contingent. Any new (or old) "must do" trails you would recommend? I like it all and have my "usual loops" but would like to try some of the other stuff.
I have the old 2002 map series and am too cheap to buy the new ones. I think I can find my way around ok.

Suggestions? Coming in from the Padden side and up 3 little pigs. Then, working our way up to the towers.

Thanks!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bummer. That was a nice climb....

How about across Kaiser, up Keystone/Nellie/Wonderland. Down Evo/Scorpion to the road. Back up to Woopsie, across the upper pig to New Kaiser then down through Oly, 187, EP, Bob's and back up the Ridge, to Cedar Dust, Up DDC, to Kung Fu, Down 911/Chicks, lower Shawn's Issues(or lost giants) and out?

What ever happened to "Prison Love/Fat lady"?

Got the new Gmt maps and the LK version. (Just gotta ask on-line...) :) So, I'm set there. Except for the trailname mess.

Thanks!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Hehehehehe back at 'cha....
I was bummed that it would be so short..... :D

Will let you know what we did. Thanks.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Mechanicals, mechanicals.... It's been a good year. But, we got 'em all at once. Flat, broken chain, then a rear wheel cone backing in and freezing the rear hub. That took a long time to field dress. Then, his skewer broke halfway down Woopsie. Zip ties and duct tape! :)
Route:
Up pigs(only the upper or "Brick" is brushy.) Out Kaiser, Keystone, Nellie, Wonderland(play off the wall) to towers.
Down evo. Played on the log ride for a long time trying to get way out off the ramp. Woopsie, Brick Pig Kaiser again, Oly, 2.5, Purple Heart/PuS, El Pollo, Cedar Dust, Upper/Lower Bob's. Back on the pipeline 'cuz it's getting late.

Good day as always. Wish we had some thing like that closer to Seattle....Kudos to everyone working on it up there.

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I want to come, Sad thing is i would end up pushing most of the climb(Not a good climber and being fat bastard does not help)It will probably be a last minute decision for me. If anyone is driving up from the Seattle area. I will chip for gas if i can carpool with you.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
KNine said:
I want to come, Sad thing is i would end up pushing most of the climb(Not a good climber and being fat bastard does not help)It will probably be a last minute decision for me. If anyone is driving up from the Seattle area. I will chip for gas if i can carpool with you.
Ask Skookum for a ride. :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
No big hurry for climbing, i'm probably gonna bring my Bullit and goof around. Maybe launch my wheel off the ground over my jump record of 1 foot! :cool:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Skookum said:
No big hurry for climbing, i'm probably gonna bring my Bullit and goof around. Maybe launch my wheel off the ground over my jump record of 1 foot! :cool:
So do you want to do a more freeridey ride and not a super long XC ride like usual? :cool: Let me know so I can plan a good route. How much uphill can you take on that, and how much up-and-down normal trail?

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Knine, I will be there and push too, I am not the best climber around, so you can kick my ass and feel good about it. Plus you said you would buy some drinks afterword, and I hold you to it.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Smedford, you're also gonna be there? I thought that one time you rode with me you said it would be the last time because I wore you out by taking my normal route. :p I'll just have to take it easy on all of you... :devil:

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
dwaugh said:
Smedford, you're also gonna be there? I thought that one time you rode with me you said it would be the last time because I wore you out by taking my normal route. :p I'll just have to take it easy on all of you... :devil:
Hey, we all need to take some punishment every now and then.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
All this talk of riding/walking Galby with freeride bikes makes me want to come. I rode my Demo up there most of the summer due to my Enduro being out of service, not easy but definitely doable. Regardless of what everyones riding I want to come too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
aahhh i dunno i'm gonna call a freind of mine and see if he wants to go to. i say we just climb up a few times and ride down whatever trails don't have that many puddles.
and yah we can figure out a carpool, i live next to the airport, where's a good place to meet.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey Dwaugh it looks like my pal is in too. He hasn't ridden in a while so it looks like it will be an easy paced ride. i'm gonna just bring the enduro, i was thinking that one last route you brought us down, from the towers down that steep switchback thru the clearcut was alot of fun. Other than that Ridge is always good and i'd like to try out those log bridges we helped some guys out with on Cedar Dust back when i last rode out there.
i'd probably wouldn't mind skipping Whoopsie for a more dry day, it's alot more fun dry. Other than that i don't have any trail requests and we can ride whatever(except Texas Chainsaw).

And can we meet at Whatcom at 9:30ish. i don't like starting too late.

Knine i'll call you this weekend, if Dwaugh agrees to the new time, i'll be around your place at about 8ish.

Room for one more in the car anyone wanna ride Galby round here?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Skooks, last weekend everything on the clear cuts, including upper Woopsie, was really lose an dusty. Could be a goo fest with the wrong amount of rain. Gotta hit the log to jump on Evolution. Even the gals were getting some good air. Really fun!Try to hit 911/chicks for the long log ride. Really bummed we missed that one. The Fricker skinny was really cool on Cedar Dust. So cool that I'm building a mock up in the yard. Already have the slats split. :eek: We climbed from the other side up pigs to Kaiser/Keystone/Nellie/Wonderland for the full singletrack (pretty easy) climb and with some play time at the Wonderwall, it took about 1:45 to get to the radio towers. Wet but not actually raining would be really good.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Hey, hmm, how about 10:30 at whatcom falls? I have to get home from church and then get ready, I can make it by then. I think I know the route that we should take, it includes only one crossing of a ladder bridge over a stream that may be broken. Otherwise it should be an ok route.... I think... We'll see. It will include 911 so that makes it good I guess. So will 10:30 work?

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I rode up there Friday night and all the trails we rode were in almost prime condition, not too wet, not too dry. Even the trails that typically have lots of puddles were in good shape, there were only a few puddles, but the roots were nice and slick making it very fun. I'm definitely down for a ride up there on Sunday, mind if I tag along?