Quantcast

THE thread for the southeast monkey gathering

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ok so here is the deal. I was able to secure one of the campsites. not both for one has been reserved. however it is the larger of the two. The site is slated for 25 people and 10 vehicles. The site actually holds waay more people than that. The last time i camped there we probably had 40 people. If it becomes and issues there are some free roadside sites up the dirt road that we will be camping off of and there are also woods where tents can be set up so accomodations can be met for however many people show up so dont be afraid to come have a good ol' monkey time.

When: April 22-24, check in to campsite no earlier than 3:00 pm.

The Campsite: Outside Brevard, NC in pisgah NF
South White Pines Group Campround
2 composting toilets
Water (we didnt drink any of the water)
The site is riverside

Riding: Shuttling, road,crosscountry loops abound.
Other Activities: Flyfishing, rock climbing, hiking

The town of brevard is the nearest town, about a 10 minute drive. There is wal-mart, fast food joints, two bike shops, flyfishing outfitter as well as backpacking outfitter. Aside from being the gateway to the southern end of Pisgah National Forest it is also close to Dupont State forest that has tons of riding much of which consists of "slickrock" with steep shoort climbs and fast short technical downhills.

Now everyone pitched in and put forth money to acquire what was originally planned as two campsites, due to some extenuationg circumstances however i was only able to secure one. The question at hand is do people want me to return the money into their paypal acct. or should we put it towards something benefiting the gathering. Some ideas would be beer, food, some prizes for various events, tubes or whatever.

It would also be appreciated greatly if people could give definate answers as to whether or not they are going to attend. I would be more then willing to set up some tents the night before in the roadside free sites to secure them if it looks like there are going to be too many.

PLEASE CARPOOL!!!!!!!PLEASE CARPOOL!!!!!!!!PLEASE CARPOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vehicle numbers will be more to deal with than people numbers.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well..... how much extra do we have?

Also not to be an a$$ but what if to many people show up and the people who have donated don't get a spot in camp?

stosh said:
Well..... how much extra do we have?

Also not to be an a$$ but what if to many people show up and the people who have donated don't get a spot in camp?
Good point Stosh.
THanks for securing the site Ben, Ben's sister or Ben's dad or whoever is at the controls
:eviltongu

Since carpooling is becoming important we need to keep the thread alive so people who don't know one another but could ride together can .
I'm coming from way south and i don't mind picking up a few :monkey: 's along the way.
EXcept Stosh's girlfriend. :love: J/K!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
so this thing is still happening? we are still down but I have to wait to see if I can get off of work. thinking of bringing 2 bikes.... :think:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Interesting. I may attend, and if I do i'll probably drag Birdwang with me. It all depends on the show I am designing projections for. Thats closing weekend, so if everything is good, I don't have to be there :thumb:

about how far is it from Richmond, VA, anyone know?

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
It's a haul. (rough estimations only!!) We're about 5 and a halfish from richmond, and pisgah is another.... hour and change to the north and west from greenville. It'd be worth it, though!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
bradical said:
It's a haul. (rough estimations only!!) We're about 5 and a halfish from richmond, and pisgah is another.... hour and change to the north and west from greenville. It'd be worth it, though!

Thanks. I have my new Pathfinder for roadtrips just like this one :thumb: Maybe it will even be lifted by then :D

Is there a lot of hiking around there? If so, I could maybe talk my better half into coming also. She loves camping and the such :thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I was wondering why I hadnt heard of this before now, And found out, its because I never venture into the South Forum. Biggins, PM me if there is anything you need from me......or if its gonna be to full for me to come

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
T-Pirate said:
I for one, plan on Bennet Gap midnight shreddage.
is this one of the shuttlable runs? also I take it you got lights, I had wondered if anyone would be down for some night riding?

I'm still shooting to be down there, same with me Biggins hit me up let me know what I need to do, I'm tryin to get some folks rounded up from this way to come down too.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yo sorry i started this and didnt get back to it.

as for stuff, we could use a couple of those big open wall tents for cooking under and whatnot.

stosh dont worry about it. its all good. you will get a spot.

Mike, there is more hiking around there than you could possibly imagine. bring her, she will dig it.

like i said earlier, 25 is what the reservation people said, i have camped at this same spot with a signifigant amount more than that. i will also be rounding up some tents and setting them up at the nearest roadside camping as well.that way if we need to spread out then we will have a couple of those waiting as well. TN and Laura can tell ya that those sites are very nice, they camped on them and they are an easy 1/4 mile from where everyone else will be. Profro ahs camped at the free sites as well.

i would bring drinking water, i didnt trust the piped water at the site. if anyone can bring firewood that would be cool as well.

as for how much money was donated ill have to talley it up and post it tomorrow.

Yah i would love to do some night riding.
I have a spare for somebody too.

Hey Ben i'm starting to think we might need more space.
I rode with the south florida guys and they seem keen on renting a bus and coming up.
(rob) i mean.
What is plan B if like hella monkies show up?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LOOnatic said:
Yah i would love to do some night riding.
I have a spare for somebody too.

Hey Ben i'm starting to think we might need more space.
I rode with the south florida guys and they seem keen on renting a bus and coming up.
(rob) i mean.
What is plan B if like hella monkies show up?

there is the davidson river campground. it is about a mile down a paved road and there will be the overflow camping in the free sites.

i forgot to mention that the campsite does not allow rv's or campers of anykind.

davidson river campground has tent sites and sites with rv hookups. We are gonna do a registry at the South White pines Campground.

loonatic if you have an extra light, i would like to use it.

Caney Bottom would be a nice night shuttle trail.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:
I wonder how far it is from Orange County NY. :D
i drove up to pace universty (pleaseantville) in 12 hours flat from asheville. the camp site is about 45 minutes south of asheville.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
biggins said:
i drove up to pace universty (pleaseantville) in 12 hours flat from asheville. the camp site is about 45 minutes south of asheville.
Wow, you drove 12 straight hours for tang? NICE!!!

I may stay with my sister in B-more. This is very tenative but I think we are taking Wed. Thur. Friday off heading to my sister's place Tues night then heading down Asheville or Charlotte Wed to look around and stay in a hotel for a night. I would like to do some serious riding Friday if possible and leave Saturday afternoon to head back to B-more so we could be home by Sunday later afternoon.
People gonna be around Friday early enough to get some good riding in?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ben I am in....

For everyone else here is a picture of the riverside from the Campsite that is reserved.

Then here are pictures of the Trail Ben is suggesting we ride at night.

Edit.. could we move this to "South" and make it sticky?