Quantcast

The trail under Interstate 5

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Collonade Mountain Bike Trails Skills Park.

For a few months now has been in the build phase and things are coming along well. Build parties from the BBTC have been working a couple times a week with fair turnout. The first section that's being worked on is the Beginner section. Wide mostly flat sections of trail that will get people's feet wet. You'll note that here and there little technical sections are being put in, to induce novice riders to try something that might be a tad over their head. As was the sideshoot off the main trail that i worked on today.

Seattle

The section i worked on Before

And After

Not as much as i hoped we'd get done on this section. But all in all not bad for around 3 hours. All the rock here is placed in solid, we moved some hurking giants into place and got a pretty good line for a slight rock garden descent on back into the trail.

We'll fill the approach in with more gravel for a smooth transition into the descent. Also a full bikes length before we'll put a nice big fat big ring smashing rock in the middle of the trail for people to roll over, we just didn't have enough time to get into cutting a bench into the trail and putting that in.

Here's a look from the top side with "the line".

Here's another little feature put in as well for a nice descent, or for trials riding up. This section was done so nicely, i wish i could say i had a hand in it, the volunteers who did this stretch right now have dibs on the nicest section of work done in my book.

And a quick overview of what's been accomplished so far. ROCK ROCK AND MORE ROCK!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I only showed up there for one work party....that 100% manual labor gets old. A machine would get the project done 100x's faster. The wasted man hours alone would pay for a little bobcat or trail machine.

It looks alot better than when I was there.....I bet that hillside is still slick as axle grease. :D (fell in the first 5 minutes I was there)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Tootrikky said:
Yikes holly off camber corners! Berm that ****e!!!
Berms are fun but they don't drain correctly - they force the water to flow down the trail, increasing erosion.Trail design that encourages erosion is the last thing you want in Seattle. A corner that's built correctly for sustainability will not have a berm to it so that water can sheet towards the outside of the trail.

geargrrl.

splat

Nam I am
geargrrl said:
Berms are fun but they don't drain correctly - they force the water to flow down the trail, increasing erosion.Trail design that encourages erosion is the last the you want in Seattle. A corner that's built correctly for sustainability will not have a berm to it so that water can sheet towards the outside of the trail.

geargrrl.
I was going to comment about draianage too. has that been taken into consideration ?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
what is the trail material?? crushed stone??
looks like a lot of work but im sure it will be nice once complete

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There very well may be berms, very well may be a few lines similiar to the SST Flowpark which locals really enjoy with jumps berms and such. i'll be looking foward to the Intermediate and Advanced sections which will make up most of the trail system and should be alot of fun to work on. Jon K is steering the ship of late and it seems he's very eager to add a Freeride flavor if you will to the park, as the tall dude (forget his name) who came up with the idea intended.

And a majority of the trails are going to be under the freeway where it's dry..... After the 2 miles or so of trails get done i don't care if a Hurricane rolls thru, there will be no puddles on the trail, none, zip, nada. Which is cool!

The soil is garbage, the freeway was built over what used to be residential houses, then bums took the place over for years. All the trails will be dug out, benched, reinforced with stone, filled in with crushed gravel and get a nice layer of what i believe half inch gravel over the top. It packs down real nice and drains well, which like i stated before won't be an issue since it'll be under the freeway deck. That soil is super dry, sifty, and slicker than Whale Diarreah when it get's wet.

Yah it's alot of work, but i've been on plenty of construction jobs to know that if you sat around and looked at the whole job all at once you'll never get anything done. Chipping away and eventually we're going to get an awesome little park for...

Trials riders to play
Mt. Bikers being showcased (oh that's what they do, and how they do it)
Mt. Bikers goin somewhere to ride when it's rainy
A place to stop by while doing Urban
A place to night ride
A place for riders to advance their skills
An avenue to bring more people into mt. biking
Another place to ride

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
Nice report! Yes we do need more help and $. I will be there weekend after next and try to make every other weekend day. This will be a great deal for kids.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I will help build. Let me know when you get to the sst type of trails, I build down there quite a bit. It would be nice to have a place to pratice drops. Start with one foot and gradually progress to 3-4 feet. Skinnys would be cool as well make them really low to the ground, just somthing to practice on, thats something sst is lacking. Simon of fluidride (forgeting his last name Lotten?) is the person that orginally started the project back in like 96 or somthing. Sounds like it could be really cool if you actully do build freeride stuff.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fuzzycatnuts said:
I will help build. Let me know when you get to the sst type of trails, I build down there quite a bit. It would be nice to have a place to pratice drops. Start with one foot and gradually progress to 3-4 feet. Skinnys would be cool as well make them really low to the ground, just somthing to practice on, thats something sst is lacking. Simon of fluidride (forgeting his last name Lotten?) is the person that orginally started the project back in like 96 or somthing. Sounds like it could be really cool if you actully do build freeride stuff.
Join BBTC now and help build now..... The faces they see, will get influence on what's to be..... That's how it loosely works.
You just have no idea what the soil is like, you gotta come down and see what's up. We're going to need help, you come down once or twice a month, you'll be considered a regular, and will get a little pull by the time we get to the goods.
i'm pulling that direction, and so are other people in the club.
There is a template in place, and the club has to work within the parameters of what the city will allow, creative minds need to show and bend and blur what we have to make it real good.

Ya know what i'm sayin? Everyone would be happy if we could get a little bit of Galby, a little bit of SST, a little bit of Tapeworm, so on and so forth.

MMike said:
Indeed...so he claims....
SNL skit song...
Don't you know his name is Simon. And he's tall he'd kick your ass!

Don't look at his bum you cheeky monkey.....