Quantcast

The transportation conundrum

I note that Chevrolet has discontinued production of the Astro.

My 2002 Astro cargo van's got about 80,000 miles on it at this point, and is reasonably reliable, has averaged 17.6 MPG over its lifetime to date, and handles excellently in winter conditions with its AWD and studded snows. It serves to carry two or more fully assembled bicycles, tools, clothing and camping gear fully protected from the weather and, emptied of that, carries Hilarie's antique goods and various larger household artifacts.

I cannot seem to find a currently produced equivalent - if anything were available, I would yield somewhat on space and engine power to gain some gas mileage, but would still require AWD, and I do not regard external bike racks as a viable option.

So, to the question - should I purchase one of the last production run or nurse this rig in the hopes that some other useful vehicle appears in the next five to seven years?

J

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
regardless of yr projections of what secret desires the Element buyer harbors, at least they could buy two Elements for the same cash outlay as an LR3 or H2.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
true dat narlus. i think the element is a cool little niche vehicle, i was not doggin it. i would be way more interested in them however if they were all wheel drive.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I just bought an Element. And yes they do come in AWD. And I just had two bikes in there yesterday using BikeTights, including my big honkin 29er, and there was plenty of room for a third.

And who cares if the bikes're dirty?

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
BigMike said:
Well, its not 4WD, but you could always get a Dodge Sprinter :D

Bigmike - you were close -this van is known as the Mercedes Sprinter in other countries. The whole sprinter lineup isn't sold here in the states...yet. If it was, you would have been correct, b/c there is an AWD version (sold in AU and some European Countries).

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
toyota sienna comes in awd. as did the last generation mazda mpv, and all recent iterations of the chrysler minivans (buyer beware). all will be a bit smaller than the astro, but will be much less truck like by virtue of their platform.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
C.P. said:
Bigmike - you were close -this van is known as the Mercedes Sprinter in other countries. The whole sprinter lineup isn't sold here in the states...yet. If it was, you would have been correct, b/c there is an AWD version (sold in AU and some European Countries).
In other Countries, its the Mercedes Sprinter, In our Country, its the Dodge Sprinter with mercedes Engine and drivetrain..........Linky

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
wooglin said:
I just bought an Element. And yes they do come in AWD. And I just had two bikes in there yesterday using BikeTights, including my big honkin 29er, and there was plenty of room for a third.

And who cares if the bikes're dirty?
My element is AWD also... not sure why people don't realize that they come in AWD. I've put two fully assembled bikes in various times. The backseats lay back and fold up against the sides to allow this easily. The floor is all plastic and cleans very easily.

I take the Hummer comments personally since the Element is a Low Emissions Vehicle (25 mpg) and was designed with the form-follows-function edict. I won't post my feelings on Hummers.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Skookum said:
Whenever i see an element i think "Wannabe Hummer".
Funny, whenever I see a Hummer at a gas station, I can't help but think that the owner is thinking "i wannabe driving something else".

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I dunno man, looks like there may be a bit of bondo under that paint. Did you try the magnet trick?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Ya'll got me looking at these Elements now. They just seem so low for an adventure vehicle. 16" wheels with 6.9" ground clearance. Any chance of stuffing some larger wheels/tires into those wells?

D

d-sop

C.P. said:
wrong-yes it is. ive seen plenty.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Ya'll got me looking at these Elements now. They just seem so low for an adventure vehicle. 16" wheels with 6.9" ground clearance. Any chance of stuffing some larger wheels/tires into those wells?
the element is never going to be a rock crawler. no low range. don't be bespoiling it with mud tires :oink:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Toshi said:
the element is never going to be a rock crawler. no low range. don't be bespoiling it with mud tires :oink:
Word up. Don't confuse all wheel drive with 4 wheel drive.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Toshi said:
toyota sienna comes in awd. as did the last generation mazda mpv, and all recent iterations of the chrysler minivans (buyer beware). all will be a bit smaller than the astro, but will be much less truck like by virtue of their platform.
Yeah-Those are built on car chassis and won't do nearly as well in rough conditions or have the ground clearance of a 'stro, which is built on a GMC truck chassis (1500?).

My family used to have one...(I rammed it into a new Lexus on the freeway)...I hated driving it, it wasn't stable at all, and it got terrible gas mileage (15ish). It did, however, serve well for bike trips and going off road, but the engine could've used more oomph (4something liter V6 I think).

I'd suggest looking at the Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter, or one of the other minivans mentioned if you don't need the off-road burly capabilities the Astro/Safari offers.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You're going to have trouble fitting DH bikes in an Element without taking the front wheel off...but anything XC/Trail/Road fits just fine. 2 in there no problem with gear.

It's a minivan for people without kids.

edit: It's also NOT meant for off road work. It's based off of the Civic platform, I think.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Toshi said:
:blah: I wasn't thinking of anything serious ... just old neglected fireroads. Took a Subie Outback into the nether regions of MT Hood once and it totally blew my mind. Albiet 3mph, it got us where we needed to go. I don't see the Element as being able to do that - but it seems so damn perfect otherwise. :(
Are skidplates available? Anyone got experience on the 'ol bumpy gravel roads?
Not all trails have easy access and the whole point of me going internal combustion is to get the pedals to greater places. ;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BuddhaRoadkill said:
:blah: I wasn't thinking of anything serious ... just old neglected fireroads. Took a Subie Outback into the nether regions of MT Hood once and it totally blew my mind. Albiet 3mph, it got us where we needed to go. I don't see the Element as being able to do that - but it seems so damn perfect otherwise. :(
Are skidplates available? Anyone got experience on the 'ol bumpy gravel roads?
Not all trails have easy access and the whole point of me going internal combustion is to get the pedals to greater places. ;)

:stupid: This is exactly what I am wondering. I'm cruising up and down fire roads every weekend. It sure would be nice if you could throw some taller tires under there to get and inch or so more ground clearance. for instance this week they regraded all the forest service roads and kicked a bunch of 6-12" rocks into the road. I'd hate to have one of these take out my oil pan. In all other respects the Element sounds like the vehicle for me.

I've been very pleased with my old mazda PU but its got 197500 miles on it and a check engine like that keeps flickering on and off so its time to start looking for a new ride. The truck is only 2wd but I have never had a problem getting where I need to go (as long as I have some weight in the back) I may just end up keeping the PU though. I looked the trade in value and about cried. :( Its worth more as lawn art than its trade in value.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
johnbryanpeters said:
I went to look at Sprinters yesterday and immediately fell in love. I then went home, got out the tape measure, and realized that even the low roof model is 102" high and won't fit into the garage. :mumble: What a nice rig!
Oh come on, you could use a bigger garage anyway right?

A friend of mine recently bought a new Dodge Ram diesel to tow his camper and he had to push the back wall of the garage out 2 feet. Don't let a low roof hold you back.