Quantcast

The Ultimate buzzkill: pylonephritis

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
So, just a month after getting an awesome new bike and finding some super cool monkeys to ride with, I get sick. And I mean REALLY sick. About a week ago, I started having stomach pain, vomiting, 104 fever--the works. Finally, in the emergency room a few nights ago (just short of being admitted to the hospital), the doctor finally figures out what's wrong with me. I have acute Pylonephritis, or an enlarged, swolen and very infected kidney. If I push it, I could permantly damage my kidney. And it's supposed to be a while until I get my energy back. My previously conditioned muscles already feel shot. So, my bike is in the corner, I'm flat on the couch and I doubt the two of us will cross paths any time soon :(

Beth

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
make sure you rest and do what the doctors tell you , this way when you do get back into action you are totally ready for it.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
bluebug32 said:
I have acute Pylonephritis, or an enlarged, swolen and very infected kidney.Beth
Hey Beth, I see that you are in sunny Po'Vegas, New York.
So which hospital was it? St. Francis? If so, I'd say get a second opinion - St. Francis was notorious for misdiagnosis when i lived up there. While this was 12 years ago, it's hard to not think that something is wrong when I know of 3 cases, including my own, where they got a diagnosis wrong.

Good luck with your health. And if I were laid up in Potown, I'd spend my recovery at Noah's.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Man that totally sucks! I was looking forward to riding with you guys.

Please keep us up to date with your condition!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Mackie said:
So which hospital was it? St. Francis?
I went to Vassar Brothers and they seemed pretty good. It's hard to misdiagnose a massively enlarged kidney. Now I'm just hoping to get some energy back soon. Luckily my work is great and they have been ok with all of this. I can work from home, so that's probably what I'll do. As long as I meet my deadlines I'll be ok.

Thanks for the concern.

Beth

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Man that totally sucks! I was looking forward to riding with you guys.

Please keep us up to date with your condition!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, we had a blast riding with you guys! But I'll let you know when I'm good to go and we'll def. go out again. Hi to your g/f for me.

Beth

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Yeah, we had a blast riding with you guys! But I'll let you know when I'm good to go and we'll def. go out again. Hi to your g/f for me.

Beth
will do!!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow - that's no good. What causes it?

Take care, I definitely know how crappy it feels to not be able to ride.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
I know how you feel; I was diagnosed with mono for the 2nd time in the past year, which probably means I had never gotten rid of it in the first place. The doctor told me that I was a prime candidate for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) if I didn't rest for the next year or so. My spleen was swollen, the lymph glands in my neck were so swollen it looked like I had 2 golf balls under my skin. So, that meant no riding or anything that would be considered exercise for a long time. I just about went nuts after the first month, but I still took it easy. I hated waking up so tired that I thought I was going to pass out, and then walk pass my beautiful bikes knowing I am unable to ride them, that f'ing sucked! Thank God, I'm finally back riding after many months of sleeping and feeling worthless! :thumb:

Just take it easy and don't push yourself to get better, and you will be riding again before you know it.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Yeah, I can't wait to get back out on the trails and really enjoy my summer.

I think it's caused by bacteria that works its way into your kidney. It can be very fatal if it's not caught in time. The doctor now wants to put me on 3 more weeks of antibiotics.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
3 years ago I bought a new bike for a cool $2500 and 2 days before it was delivered I fractured 2 vertebre... OTB for 3 months and wasnt at 100% for nearly a year. Dont worry, the time will pass and when it does you wont even look back an bum about it.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Now now, suck it up. ;) My daughter had pyelonephritis when she was 6 weeks old. She cried for a day and that's it. You'll feel fine soon. Once the infection is under control, the swelling and pain will subside quickly. Just follow the antibiotic regimen exactly (or did they IV you?). The thing you'll really like is the possibility of the VCUG (vesicourethrogram). That's lots o fun...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
golgiaparatus said:
3 years ago I bought a new bike for a cool $2500 and 2 days before it was delivered I fractured 2 vertebre... OTB for 3 months and wasnt at 100% for nearly a year. Dont worry, the time will pass and when it does you wont even look back an bum about it.
Oh man, that sucks! But at least now you're enjoying it, right? I just wish this had happened in the dead of winter, instead of when it's beautiful outside. But, there's still much summer left to enjoy.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Oh man, that sucks! But at least now you're enjoying it, right? I just wish this had happened in the dead of winter, instead of when it's beautiful outside. But, there's still much summer left to enjoy.
go check the Good Morning post for my question to you!