Quantcast

The ultimate compact team tool kit.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Here is the plan,

Build the most compact and universal race/event tool kit possible without breaking the bank in case it grows legs.

I am going to be doing some pro-bono wrenching at some events and am sourcing tools that have multiple facets, multiple uses and be smaller/lighter than the normal shop tools we are used to that is very mobile in kit form.

I will kick off some items I have seen in my searches recently, I know you guys have some better ideas so let me hear em.

Multi use BB wrench

Pedal wrench since I have to carry a torque wrench anyways

Hanger tool

Compact chain whip and multi use tool

Universal cone wrench

What else you guys seen or use that fits this category?

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Speaking generally, the most cost-effective way to do this is to pick up a full kit, like one from Pedro's, then supplement or remove tools as needed.

Tool Kits and Sets » Pedro's NA (pedros.com)
I already have a full suite of tools but I dont want to take them and all the mass to events. I am specifically building and ultra-lightweight and compact kit in order not to cannibalize my shop tool kits.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
What kind of events? Road bikes? Mountain? High end bikes or no? Or all of the above?
All of the above, last event had everything, kids bikes, Modern Tri bikes, recumbents, vintage bikes and even E bikes. Some of the issues were Rusty headsets, creaking and loose bottom brackets, V pull brakes, bent hangers, bent discs, Leaking hydraulics, loose wheel bearings etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All of the above, last event had everything, kids bikes, Modern Tri bikes, recumbents, vintage bikes and even E bikes. Some of the issues were Rusty headsets, creaking and loose bottom brackets, V pull brakes, bent hangers, bent discs, Leaking hydraulics, loose wheel bearings etc.
are you gonna be the only mechanic? sounds like you'd basically need an entire shop to cover any potential scenario.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
are you gonna be the only mechanic? sounds like you'd basically need an entire shop to cover any potential scenario.
For the most part yes, I just got tired of lugging around the typical big ass tool kits off my bench or filling random tool boxes. And none of it was very mobile unless working out of a pickup or SUV, I would like to stick to a 2 wheeled footprint or even off my BMW moto for better coverage to keep riders off the side of the road/trails.

I can get by without a truing stand and just true wheels on the bikes, I really dont need a stand unless there is something uber compact and portable out there but I havent seen much. A good portion of the bikes seem to be sitting for quite a while so a lot of cable/drivetrain/tube work is prevalent. The school kids bikes seem to be the worst along with the occasional parents hybrids that have never seen a shop or tune up.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For the most part yes, I just got tired of lugging around the typical big ass tool kits off my bench or filling random tool boxes. And none of it was very mobile unless working out of a pickup or SUV, I would like to stick to a 2 wheeled footprint or even off my BMW moto for better coverage to keep riders off the side of the road/trails.

I can get by without a truing stand and just true wheels on the bikes, I really dont need a stand unless there is something uber compact and portable out there but I havent seen much. A good portion of the bikes seem to be sitting for quite a while so a lot of cable/drivetrain/tube work is prevalent. The school kids bikes seem to be the worst along with the occasional parents hybrids that have never seen a shop or tune up.
Got it. I hope you recognize that you are working with contradictory objectives here. The goal is going to be eliminating redundancy.

Be mindful some of those cheaper/lighter tools may lack the durability you're after

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Got it. I hope you recognize that you are working with contradictory objectives here. The goal is going to be eliminating redundancy.

Be mindful some of those cheaper/lighter tools may lack the durability you're after
Its going to be a give and take since I will prob have tools walk off but better than me putting my own pricey stuff at risk. I am going to spray paint everything as well to minimize the loss. I am not looking to revolutionize the matter just help out with a kit that can get the job done without breaking my back or the wallet. Ive actually been enjoying searching for dual or multipurpose tools.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its going to be a give and take since I will prob have tools walk off but better than me putting my own pricey stuff at risk. I am going to spray paint everything as well to minimize the loss. I am not looking to revolutionize the matter just help out with a kit that can get the job done without breaking my back or the wallet. Ive actually been enjoying searching for dual or multipurpose tools.
Fair enough. Spray paint them pink.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
These showed up over the weekend. The pedal/whip tool seems to be a good compromise in length compared to my other pedal wrenches and the whip makes sense on the tool. Thus far I call it a winner.

the BB tool is essentially 4 in 1, it may be a bit big and heavy for my wants but have some others coming.

789B03AC-E877-41F6-BF2E-30A389EEC592.jpeg

the super narrow crescent wrench is awesome and will likely live in the kit due to its size and weight. I have a bigger one on order for those bigger cone wrench needs but dig the concept of one wrench to rule all the cones.

315E1ACE-6D48-495C-96D1-13BFB827F1EA.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
These showed up over the weekend. The pedal/whip tool seems to be a good compromise in length compared to my other pedal wrenches and the whip makes sense on the tool. Thus far I call it a winner.

the BB tool is essentially 4 in 1, it may be a bit big and heavy for my wants but have some others coming.

View attachment 169123

the super narrow crescent wrench is awesome and will likely live in the kit due to its size and weight. I have a bigger one on order for those bigger cone wrench needs but dig the concept of one wrench to rule all the cones.

View attachment 169124

One tool to rule them all

71WUoqntsGL._AC_SY879_.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Totes!, Knipex has a ton of tools that live in my rollers and jeep kits. They tend to walk off more than any other tool I own as well.
Yes I hesitated to make the suggestion considering the nature of this kit your putting together but those smooth jaw Knipex pliers are amazeballs. Lots of other Knipex stuff is amazing also.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Yes I hesitated to make the suggestion considering the nature of this kit your putting together but those smooth jaw Knipex pliers are amazeballs. Lots of other Knipex stuff is amazing also.
Right now I am sourcing all the bike specific oddball stuff that all seems to be made for hanging on peg boards or daily wrenching use. Trying to find a more portable/multi use alternative to these specific items.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
View attachment 169207
The bigger slim crescent arrived today, much wider option even for old school cone wrench and old BB needs.

Dig the cutters since they have crimpers as well and are light and compact compared to others

Nice. I think I have one from the same brand. Not quite as size optimized as yours, but it will open wide enough to do the nuts for 3/4" shaft trailer hitch balls, and the more traditional wrench won't.
wrench.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Shifting spanners often have pretty sharp edges and it doesn't take much to mark a top cap.

I still swear at the stupid Knipex Cobra thing usually a couple of times a week at work.
Sometimes they have just the right offset to do a filter inside a tank but you can't keep the handles together so it still ends up being useless.
Hmmmmm, maybe I can cable tie the handles together.

The Lobster Shifter I got a few weeks back is about as light as they get without going to Titanium, it's awesome!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
More stuff arrived this morning

7B23B017-BA01-4F22-B164-7737B9B7FD83.jpeg

The chain tool is a push pull format so it makes links a snap, literally, the spoke wrench is an all in one and should do the job, The rest are just something you have to have but I chose items that would work on the end of a ratchet or torque wrench since already packing one.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
95901DC0-D890-4828-94B0-74E37D3D9FF1.jpeg

A pair of these showed up today, I liked the multi pry positions and fact they had a caliper wedge with them but they are rather large and heavy, not sure if they will make it to the final kit just yet, ordered some similar ones off eBay that looked smaller and lighter.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Some slow boat items arrived

3A2A7531-C453-45E9-A7F9-C962CCD57B36.jpeg

For the cost, weight and size these actually rock and will live in the kit, the BB tool is a 6 in one with a removable insert for each end and the hanger tool is collapsible and pretty compact compared to the park or other versions that you could lift a car with.