Quantcast

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i think machida will win but i wouldn't be surprised if rua could upset machida . my other prediction is cain over rothwell .

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i think machida will win but i wouldn't be surprised if rua could upset machida . my other prediction is cain over rothwell .
It's a tough call because light heavy is such a bad ass class. Griffin beat Rua, but not by much. Griffin looked like a joke against Evans, but Evans was destroyed by Machida.

So either Machida is just that bad ass (I think he could be) or it's one of those "depends who is on their game" type of situations.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Der. I haven't really kept up on which one we're at. I was thinking for some reason that it was the one with Brock vs Carwin. I can't wait for that. Actually, the next few look like they're going to be awesome.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
UFC is pretty stacked and I think the fights they have put together have been great. It's hard to know who will match up, but I think with Silva moving full time to 205, that will open up 185 and could shake the hell out of the 205's.

I think there is a higher level for Silva at 205, but I could easily be wrong on that.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It's hard to know who will match up, but I think with Silva moving full time to 205, that will open up 185 and could shake the hell out of the 205's.

I think there is a higher level for Silva at 205, but I could easily be wrong on that.
I dont keep up with the online info outside of mainstream ESPN etc... When did the above happen? Is he going to hold both belts at once for a while then just give up the 185?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Machida
Cain
Don't Care
Spencer Fisher
Anthony Johnson

I think it's cool Spike is showing the prelims. I hope Cain lives up to the hype, he sure hasn't so far. Maybe I just haven't paid attention.
I see it going this exact same way... and I don't give a crap about the neer fight.

I'll go further and say:
KO or TKO
Decision
Decision
Don't care
KO

BTW Spencer fisher is always exciting. Glad he is on the card.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I dont keep up with the online info outside of mainstream ESPN etc... When did the above happen? Is he going to hold both belts at once for a while then just give up the 185?
There was an announcement a bit ago (but haven't seen much since) saying he would give up the title and move up. Dana White said he would do some form of tournament or something for the 185 title.

The only stipulation is Silva said he wouldn't fight Machida for the title. They are best friends, countrymen, and training partners. I don't know if that holds true should he lose the title.

I for one would love to se Silva vs. Machida.

With his arm wrapped around White’s shoulder, one of Silva’s assistants leaned in and delivered a proposition. “Spider” Silva would move permanently to light heavyweight, even if it meant the unorthodox move of giving up his middleweight belt.

“I can do that,” White smiled, a bit stunned. “I like that. We can do that.”

Moments later, White also spoke with Silva’s manager Ed Soares. White initially characterized the conversation to Yahoo! Sports as similar in nature to that with the assistant. However, Soares said later that while Silva wants to fight at 205, he wouldn’t be willing to vacate the middleweight belt.

“I’d let him,” White said later, sitting in his quiet dressing room. “We’d put [the middleweight title] up for grabs.”
Link post UFC 101

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Personally I think Silva would win that fight. Machida is good at evading... but Silva is so fast and rarely throws a shot that doesn't land square on the jaw. Plus his JJ is really good.

It will happen. DW will throw enough money at them and they will eventually do it.
:stupid:

After seeing Machida destroy Evans, I think the dragon has a chance, though. I think Machida has the exact same crazy accuracy as Silva, but I don't think he has the same power. I also think they are likely matched on the ground. I do think Silva has an edge in the KO power.

I just think that Machida has the best chance at beating Silva, if anyone does.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would have liked to have seen Henderson get another shot at Silva @ 185.
As far as I can tell it's scheduled still. As much as I like to see Hendo beat him, I doubt it will happen. He did have a solid round and that's a lot more than most get.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I read something just a few days ago that said Henderson is supposed to fight Marquardt. But then there was something on the side of the screen that said something about Henderson being a free agent. I don't know if his contract is up or not.

I do know that Edward Soares doesn't really want Anderson to fight Vitor. He doesn't think Vitor should have a title shot. He thinks it should be between Silva and the winner of Dan and Nate.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...Henderson is supposed to fight Marquardt.

I do know that Edward Soares doesn't really want Anderson to fight Vitor. He doesn't think Vitor should have a title shot. He thinks it should be between Silva and the winner of Dan and Nate.
That would be a great fight, Nate has had some impressive fights. I don't think Vitor should have a shot right away, either. I know a lot of people bitched about Silva getting a title shot on his 3rd fight, but they all shut the hell up since then :D

I'm with golgi on the contract BS. I can understand the business side of it, but it does add a level of crap.

When they finished the first TUF and talked about the "six figure contract" is sounded great. But all it breaks down to is a 2 year 10 fight deal for $10k per fight win or lose. So the "six figure contract" is $50k a year for 2 years minimum. Granted Forest has made a truck load more than that, but $50k a year considering the risk is peanuts.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wonder how much they make from the sponsors they pick up along the way?
I know Chuck had a $1M sponsorship with Xience and another $2M combined from the others based on the special he did a while back. I know some of the fighters have made $65k or more from bonuses like Fight of the Night.

From UFC 103
Knockout of the Night - Vitor Belfor for his first round TKO over Rich Franklin.

Fight of the Night - The aforementioned Rick Story and Brian Foster earn $65,000 each for their two round thriller.

Submission of the Night - Story’s Arm Triangle from Foster’s half guard earned him another $65,000 bonus.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I also read a while back that Chuck and Randy were getting percentages of the PPV's that were sold when they were fighting. I also know that Randy got $250,000 when he signed on the UFC a few years ago. He was going to get another $250,000 at the end of the contract, plus fight purses, plus $60,000 a year for being considered a "UFC employee". The weird thing is that they made him take his face off his website a while back too since they pretty much own their fighters. I can't remember how they explained it. Pretty much told him that he wasn't Randy Couture as much as he was a UFC product. He had to get permission to put his face on this website. that was when he was going through those court battles when he wanted to retire a while back.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched 2 minutes of TUF, and I saw a doofy looking white guy with spectacles saying if Rampage keeps getting in his face, he is going to headbutt him, then he says a street fight is not a MMA fight.

He thinks he is going to beat Rampage in a street fight? Quinton maybe the worst coach ever in TUF history, but my money is on him in almost any fight anywhere.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I wonder if tonight's TUF episode is gonna suck ballz like the rest of this season?
I watched 2 minutes of TUF, and I saw a doofy looking white guy with spectacles saying if Rampage keeps getting in his face, he is going to headbutt him, then he says a street fight is not a MMA fight.

He thinks he is going to beat Rampage in a street fight? Quinton maybe the worst coach ever in TUF history, but my money is on him in almost any fight anywhere.
It was still good to see the doofy looking white guy in spectacles come out firing and then choke the other guy unconscious.

TUF has been sucking this season and last night's show was no exception. Unfortunately for me it was the first one in a few weeks I hadnt watched via DVR.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Last night's fight was better than any of the others so far. Those two actually looked like they both had an idea on what they were doing in there. The dude with titties kicked ass. He was landing some big shots. I was actually surprised the other guy didn't get dropped.
It bugs me how people will sit in a submission for so long. I mean, come on. If it's not working perfectly at the time, do you really want to give your opponent a ton of time to adjust positions to MAKE it work? Friggin numbskulls.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Why did the guy that lost not drop some elbows when he was early on in the triangle. I almost think that the guys in the house have a deal with each other not to throw elbows as to not cut each other so they can continue on the show. The same thing with Nelson and Kimbo. Could have sliced him up if he wanted to.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It was still good to see the doofy looking white guy in spectacles come out firing and then choke the other guy unconscious.

TUF has been sucking this season and last night's show was no exception. Unfortunately for me it was the first one in a few weeks I hadnt watched via DVR.
The problem is Rampage.

He picked the worst fighters so every bout has been one-sided.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The problem is Rampage.

He can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
Fixed

While I think he's funny and I love to watch him fight, he is NOT a "coach". Maybe it's the awesomeness of television, but his training sessions are a joke.

"Hey guys, lets do some stuff for a little while." That's about the extent of his coaching effort. I do think he picked some awful guys, but at the same time I also think that the guys he picked had a shot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most of this show is a put-on. There is no team when you could be fighting your best friend.

But I bet Dana White didn't think it would be this much of a disaster.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Not watching this season anymore, I'm done. 75% of the guys are not even heavyweights... they are just out of shape light heavies. Hell with some work a couple of them could probably make middleweight. They should have Called this season... The Ultimate Fighter, "Fatties".

Furthermore... Going into this show I was of the opinion that Rampage was a nice guy, a funny guy, etc... Now I really think Rampage is kind of a selfish a-hole... and I'm not so sure he's very smart either... he covers both up by cracking jokes and acting tough. But I think the dude may just be a stupid prick... literally.

I remember thinking that the huge beef he had with W. Silva was 2 sided, but after seeing interviews with Silva where he's super humble and nice, and then seeing how Rampage acts on this show... Gotta say, now I see where Silva is coming from.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, Rampage is a horrible coach. But, what do you expect? He didn't want to be there in the first place. He wanted to fight for the title. Instead, Dana almost forces him to do the series instead of trying to get the belt back. I wouldn't be all too stoked on that either. Especially if i had already been through that whole fiasco already.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No offense, but I don't think Rampage has a snowballs chance in hell of beating Machida. While I would like to see him try, I'm sure he is getting paid to do absolutely noting on TUF.

Last nights Countdown was interesting. The highlight reel they put together of Machida was scary. "The least hit fighter in UFC history" is an interesting title. Watching his style and stance dodging Evans and Ortiz from every angle in slow motion was a nice touch.

I think Joe Rogan made an interesting point about his stance. It's like a fencer the way he leans back. It causes his opponent to over extend the reach leaving themselves wide open to counters. Combine that with his accuracy and it's tough to see anyone but Silva stand with him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Furthermore... Going into this show I was of the opinion that Rampage was a nice guy, a funny guy, etc... Now I really think Rampage is kind of a selfish a-hole... and I'm not so sure he's very smart either... he covers both up by cracking jokes and acting tough. But I think the dude may just be a stupid prick... literally.

I remember thinking that the huge beef he had with W. Silva was 2 sided, but after seeing interviews with Silva where he's super humble and nice, and then seeing how Rampage acts on this show... Gotta say, now I see where Silva is coming from.
I think niceness and intelligence are as useful to a fighter as two broken hands.

Mostly, I thought Rampage was honest in his belligerence.

Although someone mentioned Rampage was forced into coaching, which starts to make sense now.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I love Rampage, but even i know that he wouldn't beat Machida. Machida is way too evasive for Rampage. Rampage has become a boxer with his standup game. That's all he does. I actually think that Rashad would whoop his ass just because he's so much faster than Rampage.
Yeah, Machida has a really weird stance. the only thing that i can see that would be bad about it is that he leaves his lead leg out there to get leg kicked. The weird thing is that nobody did it to him. I'm pretty sure Shogun will attach it if he uses that traditional karate stance. He'll chop it down pretty quick. If he does that, i think he'll have a good chance because Machida won't be able to evade or counter as quickly.

I'm hoping for Shogun, but Machida will more than likely win. It all depends on whether or not Shogun can fight the way he used to.
Did you guys see the fight in PRIDE where Shogun beat Rampage? Pretty good fight. I hated watching it though.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I think niceness and intelligence are as useful to a fighter as two broken hands.

Mostly, I thought Rampage was honest in his belligerence.

Although someone mentioned Rampage was forced into coaching, which starts to make sense now.
Niceness... agreed. But I think intelligence plays into MMA big time. Look at the champs right now... Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn... all smart dudes. Notice I left out Brock. Thats 4/5 great fighters with brains and only one that is a hairless silverback.