Quantcast

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Good god i hope Carwin can knock out Brock when his time comes. If he doesn't do it, nobody is going to beat him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The only serious strike against Machida that I read was his reach is rather short. Against a real striker, it might be his downfall.

I am just hoping for a great fight at this point.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't see Rua vs. Machida going more than 3 rounds, but I think it will be a good fight. Interesting point on the exposed front leg with Rua's leg kicks. I think Machida is just better all around considering how well Griffin did against Rua last year.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think Machida is just better all around considering how well Griffin did against Rua last year.
Yeah, Shogun sucked in that fight. That was one of the biggest disappointments in a long time for me. He wasn't in good shape at all. I'm sure all that time off didn't help him much either. I hated that fight. I was so pissed.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
have you guys seen this fight? Shogun vs Arona? Sorry, i can't remember how to embed the vids.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I guess the beating the champion is still the same as boxing:

You have to beat the champion, not take it on points.

I thought Rua won the fight, but either kicks to the torso and legs do not count as much as follow-up strikes, or they weren't going to give it Rua.

Even Machida thought he lost the fight, and I wasn't impressed that he didn't go balls to the wall when he knew he was losing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
His legs were beat up. The fact he was still standing was amazing. Machida did land some of the better shots, but I thing the number of hits were from Rua.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Rua was robbed, but I guess that is what happens when you let it go to the judges. I cant imagine the UFC could have wanted that outcome. I mean if Machida loses, you can immediately have Silva fighting for a title at 205. Now who gets a shot at the title besides Rua?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I haven't seen the fights yet, but i heard that my boy Shogun was robbed.

Did he kick the crap out of that lead leg like i was hoping he would?

How were the rest of the fights? Were they any good? I heard that Rumble made short work of the Japanese guy that i wanted to win.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I haven't seen the fights yet, but i heard that my boy Shogun was robbed.

Did he kick the crap out of that lead leg like i was hoping he would?

How were the rest of the fights? Were they any good? I heard that Rumble made short work of the Japanese guy that i wanted to win.
Machida was sitting on two icepacks right after the 1st round.

It was comical.

The Japanese fighters were especially pathetic. For some reason, I decided to talk sheeyat about Asian fighters, and then the guy fighting Johnson decided to play punching bag. I made a joke about how this is the first Asian not to kick in a fight.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Machida was sitting on two icepacks right after the 1st round.

It was comical.

The Japanese fighters were especially pathetic. For some reason, I decided to talk sheeyat about Asian fighters, and then the guy fighting Johnson decided to play punching bag. I made a joke about how this is the first Asian not to kick in a fight.
Didnt Koscheck knock him the f out too... like a really nasty, hands down, dazed crack to the jaw, brutal, drain bamage style KO... and he doesn't have half the standup power or agression of Johnson.

I didn't see any of this, but it sounds like Rua did well... hopefully there will be a rematch.

Wasn't Spencer Fisher on the card? How was that fight?

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Didnt Koscheck knock him the f out too... like a really nasty, hands down, dazed crack to the jaw, brutal, drain bamage style KO... and he doesn't have half the standup power or agression of Johnson.

I didn't see any of this, but it sounds like Rua did well... hopefully there will be a rematch.

Wasn't Spencer Fisher on the card? How was that fight?
Fisher was a blood bath. He got caught in a crucifix style mount and ate a few dozen elbows to the eye socket. It was nasty.

Rumble Johnson is HUGE. 6 pounds over at the weigh in, he was cutting from 220! That's nuts, but he said he had an injury early, so he had a tougher time with the cut.He looked awesome in the fight, all 20 seconds of it or whatever it ended up being.

Machida's legs were on fire after the first round, he had a huge target on his left rib cage, and very little spring. I thought he did well overall, but I would have to count shots. Joe Rogan kept pointing out the mid shots Rua was throwing, but the replays showed simultaneous face shots by Machida. I think a rematch will be awesome, though.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Fisher was a blood bath. He got caught in a crucifix style mount and ate a few dozen elbows to the eye socket. It was nasty.

Rumble Johnson is HUGE. 6 pounds over at the weigh in, he was cutting from 220! That's nuts, but he said he had an injury early, so he had a tougher time with the cut.He looked awesome in the fight, all 20 seconds of it or whatever it ended up being.

Machida's legs were on fire after the first round, he had a huge target on his left rib cage, and very little spring. I thought he did well overall, but I would have to count shots. Joe Rogan kept pointing out the mid shots Rua was throwing, but the replays showed simultaneous face shots by Machida. I think a rematch will be awesome, though.
Hate seeing people getting crucified... that has got so suck more than any other position in MMA. Almost can't even tap if you needed to cuz your hands are trapped.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hate seeing people getting crucified... that has got so suck more than any other position in MMA. Almost can't even tap if you needed to cuz your hands are trapped.
It was a great fight until he got caught. The right side of his face was a mess. He took quite a few elbows before they called it.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I just watched the fights. Man, Shogun kicked the crap out of Machida. He didn't even look like he fought. Machida was all cut up. Machida should've lost that fight. That decision was horrible.

Yeah, Yoshida should've shot in on Johnson. That would've been his only chance. And yah, koscheck did knock yoshida the eff out a while back.

I read that about brock today. That sucks. I really wanted to see Carwin kick his a$$. Brock is afraid to get hit by those laptop sized hands that Carwin has.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just watched the fights. Man, Shogun kicked the crap out of Machida. He didn't even look like he fought. Machida was all cut up. Machida should've lost that fight. That decision was horrible.

Yeah, Yoshida should've shot in on Johnson. That would've been his only chance. And yah, koscheck did knock yoshida the eff out a while back.

I read that about brock today. That sucks. I really wanted to see Carwin kick his a$$. Brock is afraid to get hit by those laptop sized hands that Carwin has.
I disagree about how severe the Machida's beating was.

While he lost, many of the exchanges were close. Rua would land a good kick but Machida would counter with a shot to the head.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I disagree about how severe the Machida's beating was.

While he lost, many of the exchanges were close. Rua would land a good kick but Machida would counter with a shot to the head.
:stupid:

That article Rob linked talks about it. The leg kicks are great, but when it's countered by a head shot, I think the point goes to the head shot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't get me wrong, this was a disappointing fight in several ways.

There were a few noobs watching it with me, and they couldn't appreciate the subtlies of Machida's style. Not that I need to see blood, but it wasn't a particularly aggressive fight.

I think going into round 5, neither fighter went for the victory, and that was especially disappointing. If Machida or Rua went for it, I bet that effort would have won it cleanly for either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the rematch will be much different. Either Rua attacking more and finishing him, or Machida finding an opening and dropping Rua.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I can understand the argument of a head shot being worth more in the eyes of the judges than say a leg kick. But come on. None of Machida's punches even rocked shogun. There was a point where shogun backed up against the fence, but he actually caught machida with a right that made machida grab him to keep from getting jacked. If the head shot was sufficient enough to make a guy drop or it caused visible damage, then sure. The head shot would be worth more. But who looked like they were in a fight and who didn't?
Yeah, Shogun's corner thought he had it. That sucks that he didn't just try to finish it up. But i'm sure it's easier said than done after 20 minutes of fighting.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm clearly no expert, but I would think as a corner person, I would want to tell the fighter it's close, score points and don't be stupid. Telling him he's winning seems to put them in cruise mode and that wins nothing.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Very true. I guess i'm just bummed because i thought Shogun should've won that fight. But yeah, he shouldn't have let it go to the judges. Hard to attack a man like Machida though. Only takes one mistake.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
good god. This series sucks. Never have i seen two out of shape pieces of sh!t try walking in the opposite directions hoping someone would just stop the fight. I don't even know why i keep watching it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched the 2nd round. I assume the 1st must have been the greatest battle of all time because these guys look like they were about to die standing up.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So UFC 105 is free on Saturday (to distract the boxing crowd).

While I'm a fan of both Couture and Vera, I am more interested in the Hardy vs. Swick. Mostly because I dig watching Swick fight since the TUF days. Always exciting and wicked power. I can't stand Hardy and want to see him get KTFO.

Matt Brown should be a good fight, too. I like his style.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
He does. He fights awesome. HE's going to have a really tough fight though. Wilks looked way good when he won the series.
There are a lot of good fights on this one. I'm interested to see how the swick fight goes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sounds like the Pacquiao had a good fight. I was hoping he would get knocked out in the 1st round to shut the boxing fans up.

I read it was one sided, though. Maybe it was boring.

I don't have the staying power to watch the replay of the Couture-Vera match. It sounds like a good fight though.

I did see Ross beat the crap out his opponent. He looked good.