Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't know how much manipulation goes on behind the cameras, but it was bad coaching when Rampage decided to take Kimbo first and pick his biggest guy to go after the wrestler.

However, Rashad's arrogance I really don't care for, and despite how poor of a decision-maker Rampage is, I am really rooting him.

Of course, this is all BS. At the end, it is just one-against-one, and it will be the two best fighters, no matter how the teams are matched.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You know Kimbo's going to fight last, which sucks for any semblance of "reality" television. I guess it would be an asset to have him on your team, because you know that means more footage and more interviews and more leeway via dana white.

It's so disappointing to see these guys take each other down then sleep on each other. At least the one dude bled a little. I hope one of these guys has a little bit of MMA skills. That would be impressive to watch- huge dudes that have well rounded abilities...

I didn't see too much "house antics" which I was thrilled about. What a stupid show it had turned into.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most of the new fighters have a hole in their game. You think it it would be easy to do ground-n-pound, but you see someong good at it and someone bad, it is a skill.

But without a doubt, the two most important skills to have for the Ultimate Fighter is takedowns and sprawl.

It is probably true at all levels, but with the amateur fighting on TUF, if you can bring someone to the ground or prevent it, it will give you enough of an advantage to win.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's true, as evidenced last night. Dude got taken down each time and that was it until it was stood up. I didn't watch the fight very closely, maybe I missed something, but it seemed like the one dude had a good shot and the other a bad sprawl...but still...I'd love to see a pleasant surprise once in a while.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Heavyweights suck 90% of the time. I am a big fan of BJJ and most of the skilled ground fighting that happens in other weight classes, but heavyweights lack speed and "lay and pray" sucks.

Rampage is a horrible coach, but he is entertaining. I could give a damn about most of the guys on this season, but the Rampage vs. Rashad fight should be well worth watching. I wish it were for a title, but Machida is going to be champ for a while, I have a feeling.

<edit> Homeboys brains damn near feel out of that HUGE gnash he had, though. That was a ton of blood.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
<edit> Homeboys brains damn near feel out of that HUGE gnash he had, though. That was a ton of blood.
I like how he sat there talking about the fight afterwards, with what looked like a wooly bear made of blood crawling down his face. No big deals, it's just a facial scar the size of texas...take the gauze off.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Did you see the size of the gash in that dudes head? He lost so much blood.

Stupid fight though. he wrestler did his job to the T.

I would much rather watch the middleweights again rather than heavyweights.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think it's weird how people still make it on the show even though they have no ground skills at all. You gotta have ground skills to get anywhere in those fights. Kills me when the guys are so 1 dimensional.

That being said, Kimbo should do ok even though he's probably still 1 dimensional. That dude is ripped. He's pretty fit compared to some of those guys with titties. Should be interesting. Watching heavyweights will be weird since they are so slow. But they can knock each other out pretty quick if they connect.

I feel sorry for whoever has to fight Kimbo. There's going to be a lot of pressure on both of them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless Kimbo fights a weak as scrub, he will get beat. He got knocked out by a dude that didn't make the quarter finals of that show. I think Rampage made some horrible choices and will end up losing his ass again this season.

Although the big redneck he picked seems pretty funny. At least the house will be interesting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it's weird how people still make it on the show even though they have no ground skills at all. You gotta have ground skills to get anywhere in those fights. Kills me when the guys are so 1 dimensional.

That being said, Kimbo should do ok even though he's probably still 1 dimensional. That dude is ripped. He's pretty fit compared to some of those guys with titties. Should be interesting. Watching heavyweights will be weird since they are so slow. But they can knock each other out pretty quick if they connect.

I feel sorry for whoever has to fight Kimbo. There's going to be a lot of pressure on both of them.
I think it goes back to disciplines.

I remember an early TUF where a boxer was in the first fight. I'm sure he had great stand up, but no chance on the takedowns.

On that note, wrestlers have a huge advantage, especially college wrestlers.

I think Kimbo has little chance, but after getting beat by a guy with pink hair in 30 seconds, I want to see him win or get his ass beat so bad, he never comes back to MMA.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Although the big redneck he picked seems pretty funny. At least the house will be interesting.
Big Country. I saw him fight Andrei Arlovski. The fat bastard actually has some ground skills. He's just a fat bastard and gassed out.

It'll be interesting to see how Kimbo does. I can't imagine he'll be as bad as he was in his earlier days. Wasn't he training with Bas Rutten for a while? You'd think all they would've worked on was his ground game.

Anything can happen in MMA. Those little gloves make it easy for anybody to push the "off" button on their opponent.

I think that even if Kimbo loses his first fight, he'll probably still be in the UFC. They've brought in people with less hype around them. Junie Browning for example. The kid is an ok fighter. The only reason they kept bringing him back was because people hated him. They just wanted him to get his ass kicked. There are a lot of people that would pay to see those guys lose.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But Browning makes like $2000 a fight or something, I doubt Kimbo would go for that considering what he was paid to suck elsewhere.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think Kimbo will hold his own...he has a certain degree of fear behind him, and his strength can win him a fight. If he as any takedown defense, or a half decent guard, he'll do OK in this competition. Will he win? Doubtful with some of the huge dudes in their that share his strength. He'll always have a place in the UFC though, even if it's as the sideshow sort of thing that some of the TUF fighters have become.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The problem with Kimbo on the show is it's made this season sort of a joke. The show has always had it's share of jackasses, don't get me wrong. But the fact is that TUF has produced some of the best fighters going. Kenny Florian, Forest Griffin, Rashad Evans, Gray Mainard, Ed Herman, Nate Quarry, Nate Diaz, the list goes on. These are top level fighters that all came up through the house.

But this batch seems like a bunch of scrubs. I know the heavy weight division sucks ass, but damn.

BillT

Monkey
My prediction...Kimbo gets rocked - hard and early in his fight. He has no skills, nobody in the house is afraid of him and he was spoon-fed tomatoe cans just to make him look good. Remember, in his last fight he was knocked out by a jab thrown by a mediocre light heavyweight that was backing up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kimbo's beard scares the hell out of me. I'd rather get punched in the face by him then touch the beard.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
They would not be building him up so much through the commercials if he didn't win at least one fight. One of the previews shows a guy that looks an awful lot like him issuing a beating on a downed opponent. I don't think he will win it overall, but he will win at least one in the house, maybe 2.

Remember some of the terrible fighters that have been on this show. Andy Wang, the lobster, thacker. There have been some really poor guys in the house. There is no reason to think that this season is any different.

Anyone else think that there is no way Wes Sims would test clean? Looked like he was all sorts of cracked out on the show.

BillT

Monkey
I'm sure Dana has told the coaches to save Kimbo until the last fight of the first round just in case. Also, they could just be building him up to tear him down...Dana takes things very personally and I bet he loved to say that he was right all along and that Kimbo couldn't even make through the Ultimate Fighter much less normal UFC competition.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dana has been talking sh!t about Kimbo for like 2 years now. I KNOW he doesn't make it out of the house. He might win 1 fight, but I got $10 that says he doesn't win 2.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I guess this is one of the cool things in MMA. Anybody can win at any time. Kimbo could go in against the dude with the titties and get KTFO. Or he could go in and clean up a few guys too. With those huge guys, it only takes one good punch. Looking at Kimbo though, i'd say he has more experience fighting in general than most of them. He knows what he has to do to finish a fight fast. But, whoever he fights will probably know that their best chance at beating him is to take him to the ground. It'll be interesting fo sho.

There have been a lot of good fighters from the series. Some of them aren't even the ones that won the competition. What if Kimbo ends up being a guy that doesn't win the contract at the end, but fights all the time like Koscheck. That'll be funny.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He knows what he has to do to finish a fight fast..
Fall face first on the mat in 17 seconds of the first round? Worked well for him last time.

He has generated a lot of buzz and that's what he's there for. He might get some pre fights regardless of how he finishes only because the heavy class sucks ass.

Besides, he hasn't fought Cro Cop yet. After last night, Kimbo is one of the few guys that hasn't beaten him. :rofl:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I didn't get to see the fights last night. Apparently they were pretty good. Yeah, i figured Crocop would be finished.
Sounds like Vitor did pretty good.

You are right. The HW class isn't that great right now. Only a few good guys. I'm sure that's why they're bringing in new ones.

I'm really hoping that Nog can fight Mir one more time while he's healthy. He looked great against Randy.
I'm also hoping that Carwin can knock out Lesnar. If he doesn't do it, there won't be anybody else in that weight class that will.

Kimbo still has a slight chance to do ok in the series. Cheick Kongo is one dimensional like Kimbo, and he's been in a few fights in the UFC. Don't know how his chin is because it doesn't seem like anybody can connect when they fight him. But, Kimbo does still have a chance. Unless that chin is glass and that's why he has that huge beard. For cushioning.....

BillT

Monkey
I didn't get to see the fights last night. Unless that chin is glass and that's why he has that huge beard. For cushioning.....
We already know he has a glass chin...in his last fight, he got knocked out by a retreating JAB thrown by a light heavyweight Ultimate Fighter loser. If that doesn't tell you he has a glass chin, I don't know what else will.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We already know he has a glass chin...in his last fight, he got knocked out by a retreating JAB thrown by a light heavyweight Ultimate Fighter loser. If that doesn't tell you he has a glass chin, I don't know what else will.
I just rewatched the the great Seth Petruzelli (nothing like getting beat by a guy with pink hair), knock out Kimbo.

I have never defended Kimbo before, but I never thought he had a glass jaw. Yes, a unskilled, slow-moving, no ground game, over-hyped fighter, but I thought he could take a punch. But I saw enough of those backyard fights while goofing off at work to think that he could brawl, which means he can take a shot.

With his big loss, he set himself up perfectly for a head shot: leaning forward after being kicked in the thigh and hands around his chest.

The right jab that took him down opened the brow, so it must have had some force.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Forrest got caught the same way. Anderson was running back, threw a half assed jab and pretty much pushed the "off" button on him. Anderson is from a weight class lower too.

The comparison is WAY off. But you get what i'm sayin.

Sometimes i think the punch is just perfect. Seth got lucky. Anderson does it without luck.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anderson is a sniper, though. His connection percentage is crazy high.

I don't care who does it, I just want to see Brock get his ass handed to him by SOMEONE. I hate that guy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Anderson is a sniper, though. His connection percentage is crazy high.

I don't care who does it, I just want to see Brock get his ass handed to him by SOMEONE. I hate that guy.
Let's not mention Silva's name in the same thread with Kimbo.

But FU about Brock. That guy is the future!

I don't know what it is about Brock, because I hate heavyweights, but I actually like that guy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But FU about Brock. That guy is the future!
Gawd I hope not! If he had skill, maybe. Yes, he's fast for a big guy. But the guy just lays on you, then hits you with 100 hammer fists until the ref steps in.

I admit, he did a number on Mir. But his rant and rave at the end was so WWE it made me ill. He needs to get over the big top antics he did in WWE and focus on beating his opponent with skill and class.

I hate him more than I hated Tim Silvia, and that's bad.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Gawd I hope not! If he had skill, maybe. Yes, he's fast for a big guy. But the guy just lays on you, then hits you with 100 hammer fists until the ref steps in.

I admit, he did a number on Mir. But his rant and rave at the end was so WWE it made me ill. He needs to get over the big top antics he did in WWE and focus on beating his opponent with skill and class.

I hate him more than I hated Tim Silvia, and that's bad.
I understand how you feel on that, but have you listened to any of his post-fight interviews on the subject? He had a great interview with Jim Rome the week after the fight and was very aware of how that came across and very disappointed with himself with letting that side of him come out in that manner. For the average armchair-fight analyzers that we are, I think it's nearly impossible to get a grasp on just how much one needs to take themselves to a different place in order to compete on that level and not get your head taken off in the process.

Plain and simple, in his words, he was very hyped up after that fight and things came out of his mouth that bypassed the filter in his brain. We're all guilty of stupid stuff, and this just happened to play out in a bad place and time. I'm reserving any judgement on him because I think he's one hell of a force in that arena and I enjoy watching him fight. So, I mean.....try not to get put off on the guy from one high-profile incident like this. I know you probably already have your mind made up and have written him off, but I think it's worth it to give the guy another shot.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the only reason Brock was sorry was because Danna ripped him a new ass. I think he still has the WWE mindset and because of his size he will be tough to beat. I think Randy had a solid chance until the lay and pray took over.

Yes, we have all done stupid things, but I think Brock likes being the "bad guy".

On a side note, Diaz's fight on Wednesday was f@cking awesome. Talk about a kid I love to hate. I couldn't stand him at first, but he's bad ass. I would love to see his brother come back, too. Both have so much range and skill its crazy.