Quantcast

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I just found the insight interesting, I didn't know that abortions were illegal, although it makes sense when considering how hard it is to get an abortion in Mexico, even if you are raped.
Yeah it sucks, I've read the same thing happening in Ireland (but that must have been 10 years ago). Abortions aside, the lack of paternaty law is just as frightening. To a Swede, who's country is considered the most equal between sexes, the lack of those rights/laws seems like stone age. But then again it was over 100 years ago that anyone starved here and we're a protestant country, we've been able to consentrate on furthering the details of our society for a long time as basic needs already have been adressed.

I clicked my self into another story with some amazing pics and a good story, will post.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
PHOTO ESSAY

Bolivia's Cocaine Trade: A Bitter Leaf

In Bolivia, Evo Morales has tried to deliver on a populist revolution. But as impoverished peasants increasingly turn to the cocaine trade, will any hope of a better life be blown away?

Photographs by Marco Vernaschi
Text by Patrick Symmes

http://www.motherjones.com/photos/bolivia-cocaine-traffickers/

Hi, I'm the author of this photo essay.
against my own interest, I decided to publish here a story that nobody in the US seems to be interested to talk about. Why? Read and you'll understand.

I apologize for my English, just remember that I'm Italian....

The First thing that must be clear: coca and cocaine are two different things. Cocaine doesn't have ANY medicinal value, while the coca leaf does.

Behind the coca leaf there's a big issue that nobody talks about: The billionaire interests of the pharmaceutical industry, in the US.

An international UN law bans the trade (import/export) of the coca leaves, as the plant is listed as a primary ingredient to make narcotics.

For this reason, the US Gov. provides a unique, special license issued by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to a US based chemical company, which name is Stepan.
This license is in total contrast with the international agreements.

An Illinois-based chemical company, the Stepan Company, is the only one in the planet allowed to import coca leaves from South America. Stepan Chemical Company have a special license issued by the DEA that allows the exportation of tons of coca leaves every year, mostly form Perù and Bolivia.

Stepan sells the coca syroup to CocaCola, which use it to flavour the popular soft drink, after processing the leaves to extract the alkaloid of the cocaine. CocaCola make almost 500.000 bottles of beverage per day, turning the cheap leaf into gold. Moreover, Stepan makes more billions selling the cocaine alkaloid to the pharmaceutical industry, in the US and in Germany.

At this point, some big contradictions need answers:

First, why should the US Administration fight to eradicate the coca crops, being the coca plant the essential base for a billionaire market that makes the USA rich, and fuel some of the strongest lobbies that endorse the Government?

Second, how the US Administration would explain the contradiction of the same Federal Agency, the DEA, simultaneously trying to destroy every single leaf of the holy plant and then granting a chemical Company with a unique license that allow to trade the same plant?

Beside the previous questions to be answered, the former coca-farmer and current President of Bolivia, thought it would make sense for his Country to enter this exclusive business, being Bolivia one of the three only Countries in the world where coca grows. How to blame him?

One of the answers to such questions has to be searched in the multi-billionaire machine that feeds the lobby close to the US Gov. through a 660.000 million per year contract given to the DynCorp, a paramilitary private contractor that works in the Coca region (Bolivia – Colombia – Peru – Ecuador). As for Bolivia, DynCorp is officially training “police forces”.
Such police forces are actually some paramilitaries loyal to the extreme right-wing Bolivian party Nacion Camba led by Branko Marnovich who is preparing to destabilize Morales’ Gov

Morales aims to enter this market, turning the coca crops into one of the Nation’s economical strengths. Before Morales was elected, Stepan Chemical used to buy huge quantities of leaves from Bolivia, and they also built a factory/storage in the Chapare region on this purpose. But after the indigenous President came into office the Company moved on to Peru to buy most of the leaves, turning Bolivia into a marginal supplier.

In order to offer to the chemical and pharmaceutical industry - and to CocaCola - the essential element which is at the base of their business, Morales’s Government - with the aid of Hugo Chavez - invested 400.000 USD to build the first factory ever to process the coca leaf in the Bolivian region of Chapare, and he’s working to change the UN law that bans its trade.

The UN response to his efforts, however, is discouraging. The UN released an official act in March 2008 asking the Bolivian and Peruan Gov’ts to ban even the traditional use of the coca leaf in their territories, transforming an already complicate political issue into a cultural issue. In the same time International Crisis Group released in late March 2008 an historical report about the failure of the War on Drug in South America.

If the Nation may rely on a legal and rewarding coca-based business, it would be logic to think that the indigenous people of Chapare would gradually move toward a legal business, leaving the cocaine production behind, not to mention the interest of the foreign pharmaceutical companies to invest in the Country.

Morales’ controversial friend Hugo Chavez and the revolutionary charges brought by the policy of nationalization of Bolivia’s natural resources – including the coca crops – led the US Gov’t. to study a special plan, in order to keep control over that nation.
If Morales should achieve his goal on the legal coca market, the US would lose a billionaire market and the chemical and pharmaceutical industry that lives on the cocaine alkaloid may choose to invest in Bolivia, dealing with better prices and a more flexible tax regime.

This would virtually cut the US out of the heart of Latin America: Perù may follow the example of Bolivia. Colombia would remain the only South American Nation where the US still have control, but surrounded by enemies in and out of its borders.

To avoid this scenario the Bush Gov’t. sent a special person in Bolivia: the current US Ambassador Philip Goldberg. Goldberg was the Department’s Bosnia Desk Officer who studied and organized the fragmentation of the Balkans in the 90’s, known as Balkanization. He was previously based in Pristina - Kosovo - and he was suddenly displaced in Bolivia few months after Morales came into office.

He brought with him a lobby of investors from the Balkans, who are represented in Bolivia by Branko Marinovich (Bolivian leader of the Morales opposition) – ...but not a typical Bolivian name.

The goal is to replicate the fragmentation scheme of the Bakans in Bolivia.

The indigenous President is facing now facing a political war in his own Country, against the right-wing opposition. Their strategy is to move the Capital City from La Paz to Sucre, creating a block of Eastern regions (called the Half Moon) that would isolate the left-wing, western regions that support Morales.
The Half Moon is the rich area of Bolivia, where oil and gas reserves supply Brazil, Argentina and Chile, and where a flourishing agriculture make the difference between the poor regions of the Altiplano and Tropic of Cochabamba.

The Half Moon is mostly inhabited and ruled by mestizos and European descendants who literally hate the indigenous. The strategy to achieve the separation of the Country is throwing fuel on the burning fire of racial hate. Just like it happened in the former Yugoslavia, in early the 90’s.

The opposition party, La Nacion Camba, is secretly training some paramilitaries with the suspected endorsement of the US Govt., and the on-site supervision Philip Goldberg.

THAT'S ALL - hope it helps to have a more clear idea of the real situation.

Marco Vernaschi

Posted by: Marco Vernaschi on 07/24/08 at 4:23 PM

Some good fakkin insight and analysis there! All I knew about the coca leaf is that its substance has similar effect to caffeine but is less harmfull (than theine too I belive), and because of that Morales wants to legalize it. Again, a story of how US interests have severe consequence for the majority of the people living in the region.

The comments to the beautiful pictures below are:

1. Photo Essay: Bolivia's Cocaine Trade: Nolberto's Son. Photo 3 of 15

In a clash between miners, Nolberto Mamani Apaza lost his hand. His 9-year-old son will have to take his place in the mines.

2. Photo Essay: Bolivia's Cocaine Trade: Miner’s Wife. Photo 4 of 15

The wife of a miner who was killed in a clash in Huanuni sits in her kitchen the day after his death. Dynamite used in the fighting destroyed part of their village, and several people were buried as a result.

3. Photo Essay: Bolivia's Cocaine Trade: Child Mules. Photo 9 of 15

Buyers tape packs of cocaine to children for transport to the city.

Attachments

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
The other day I was wondering if legalizing cocaine would deflate its street price rapidly enough to destroy the big business aspect of the South American drug trade. Perhaps then it would be more profitable for them to grow edible crops that could benefit their own nation instead of exploiting themselves with a cash crop economy.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
The other day I was wondering if legalizing cocaine would deflate its street price rapidly enough to destroy the big business aspect of the South American drug trade. Perhaps then it would be more profitable for them to grow edible crops that could benefit their own nation instead of exploiting themselves with a cash crop economy.
Me speculating now but, by only legalizing possesion and still criminalizing any amount above a day or threes personal use (like they have with 10gr Cannabis in Holland and unofficially is being implemented in a few central European countries) then that will have positive effects within that countrys judicial system (as it's not being bogged up by petty crimes), but more so on personal freedom for its inhabitants.

Only when it's taxed and selled over a counter will the campesinos and their nations benefit from it. But then this would have a negative spiral on a lot of things in the US capitalist system that stand to benefit from a war on drugs. More so, the CIA will lose it's main source of income on how to finance non congressionally backed arms floodings to create conflicts and coups around the world.

If legalized it could also completely pay for all the rebab programs and anti use information campagns..

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

eroded political and civil rights, lack of judicial independence, incarcerated without access to running water.
WOW Sounds like Amerika!!! :brow:

stories of Venezuelan citizens who have been harassed, intimidated, and deprived of their freedom merely for disagreeing with the government.
And that sounds like the ridemonkey pawn forum coverage of american news............

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
And that sounds like the ridemonkey pawn forum coverage of american news............
They are effectively in a Cold War right now, with the U.S constantly funding terrorist groups there. We did the exact same things in the Cold War to our citizens.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2008/08/2008811223627823840.html

The Bolivian president plans to push through major constitutional changes after winning a referendum on his right to rule, his government says.

More than 63 per cent of voters ratified Evo Morales's mandate, according to unofficial results from Sunday's poll, a move he hopes will break a political deadlock with opposition governors.

The changes would strengthen Bolivia's indigenous majority, enable Morales to run for re-election and undermine the governors' campaign for greater autonomy from central government.

"If we can't reach substantive agreements ... then we must address all those issues which divide us to a referendum - issues like re-election, the compatibility of autonomous governments, land issues."

Morales relies on massive support among Bolivia's indigenous majority, which accounts for six out of 10 of the country's inhabitants.

They live mostly in the Andes to the west and have become increasingly assertive under Morales in their demands for a greater share of the national wealth.

But the elite, mostly of European descent, have much of the national wealth in the eastern lowlands in the form of farmland and gas fields.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Yeah, I cheered when I saw it!

I read somewhere that if that poll is right about 63% ratified Morales mandate, it means that he's up 10% from the 53% (52,75%?) that voted for him two years ago. 63% is a landslide victory, specially considering that no other Bolivian president ever got 53% of the votes before him. Other positive things I read was that Morales had at least 40% of the votes in those provinces that have governors that want autonomy.

Although, the opposition governors that were ratified in their turn, view the results in their favour and say that the people voted for autonomy. 8 out of 9 provinces governor seats were on play for the referendum and 3 of those did not get enough votes to stay, and 1 out of those governors will not step down as he claims the remerendum was unconstitutional (which it was). Don't know which 'side' he was on, but I belive 2 ot of those 3 governors were from the opposition (I've seen the opposite written to but I belive that was a typo as Morales suport has increased alot).

I have no idea if this will help the country heal as the opposition governors in the east aren't backing off and Morales probably won't eather. Seeing how the opposition has acted in VE during all those years, it probably means that they will get violent in Bolivia too. Tricky times for Morales...

Looking at that sentence saying that 6 out of 10 Bolivians are indigenous and that Morales won with ~63%, it must mean that practicly ALL European decendants voted against the wop.. Quite a lot of racism in that country I've read.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this thread is stickier than narlus's "spec my pc" thread

ed: or the pot thread

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
A followup to previous articles posted on Russian AMD systems on Cuba.

Igor Sechin Tested a New Approach to Cuba

Moscow trying to apologize at Fidel Castro

RIA Novosti reported, with reference to a high-ranking Cuban diplomat, that Havana “is ready to cooperate with Russia in civil branches, but it’s unlikely to be in favor of resuming military cooperation, especially after the incident with Lurdes (in 2001 Russia’s military base was quickly closed despite the Cuban party’s protest).”
http://www.kommersant.com/p1007608/r_527/Russian_delegation_visited_Cuba/

At the end of last week a big Russian delegation headed by Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin visited Cuba. The key target of the visit was restoring full-scale cooperation with the Isle of Freedom. However, according to the information of Kommersant, the effectiveness of the tour didn’t turn out that high because of the Cuban authorities offence at Moscow: the Castro brothers are displeased over Russia’s politicians discussing a deployment of military facilities in Cuba without asking Havana.
According to the idea of the Russian delegation, the current visit to Cuba was to foster economic cooperation of Moscow and Havana. Apart from Igor Sechin, who assumed the post of the head of the inter-governmental commission (earlier it was chaired by Leonid Reiman), the delegation consisted of three members of the government – Energy Minister Sergey Shmatko, Communications and IT Minister Igor Shchegolev, and Education and Science Minister Andrey Fursenko. Interestingly, Russian politicians began mentioning Cuba in their statements more often as they started dwelling on Moscow’s relevant response to the U.S. deployment of AMD elements in Europe. Since the issue hadn’t been discussed with the Cuban leaders, it was decided at the last moment to include the military and political aspect in the talks’ agenda, according to the information Kommersant got from the delegation’s member. To this end, Security Council Secretary Nikolay Patrushev joined the delegation on Cuba. He actually hadn’t planned a visit to Havana before – he was on his way home from Rio de Janeiro, where he’d seen a volleyball tournament (Mr Patrushev is Chief of the Russian Federation of Volleyball).

For all that, Cuba’s government has been concerned about the fueled speculations over a possible deployment of Russia’s military facilities on the island. After Russia’s Izvestiya paper informed about Moscow’s plans to deploy strategic bombers on Cuba, and Norton A. Schwartz, the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force, stated that doing this Russia will “cross the red line,” the Cuban leaders were offended that the Russian party hadn’t consulted with them. Fidel Castro even wrote a small article headlined “The Machiavellian Strategy,” where he praised his brother Raul for neglecting those statements. According to the sources of Kommersant in Havana, the hype reminded Cuba’s leaders about old offences they had at Moscow, which has always forgotten to let them know about the decisions taken.

Fidel Castro refused to meet with the Russian delegation, whereas he has received foreign guests quite often. A month ago he met with a smaller delegation of the People’s Republic of China headed by Politburo Standing Committee member He Gotsyan. Nevertheless, according to the source of Kommersant, the meeting hadn’t been planned, and all important issues were negotiated with President Raul Castro and Vice-President Carlos Lage Dávila.

After the talks, Deputy Chairman of the State Duma Committee for International Affairs Andrey Klimov told RIA Novosti, “Russia may take a decision about its military presence on Cuba in response to the AMD deployment. If America deploys its AMD systems closely to our border, Russia can also deploy its systems on the territories of the states which will accept it.” Some time later RIA Novosti reported, with reference to a high-ranking Cuban diplomat, that Havana “is ready to cooperate with Russia in civil branches, but it’s unlikely to be in favor of resuming military cooperation, especially after the incident with Lurdes (in 2001 Russia’s military base was quickly closed despite the Cuban party’s protest).”

Officials with the Russian delegation assured Kommersant that the economic aspect of the talks proceeded smoothly. For example, Energy Minister Sergey Shmatko discussed a matter of Russian companies’ participation in developing the shelf of the Gulf of Mexico. Deputy Gazprom Chief Alexander Medvedev, Rosneft Vice-president Mikhail Stavsky, and Surgutneftegaz CEO Vladimir Bogdanov took part in the negotiations as well. Deputy Industry and trade Minister Denis Manturov raised a question of cooperation in pharmaceutics, and in particular, producing Cuba’s biomedicines in Russia. Communications and IT Minister Igor Shchegolev discussed a matter of Russia’s participation in developing cell phone communications in Cuba. Education and Science Minister Andrey Fursenko held talks about students and professors’ exchange between Russian and Cuban high schools.

Mikhail Zygar, Yuliya Taratuta

I think Fidel would smack Chuck Norris up in a minute, leaving him all baby powdered and all, if they ever were to meet.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
$tinkle I'm quite dissapinted in you as you've resorted your self to a N8. "Go Team" no matter if we stink, right? I really thought higher of you, you know, as you had proved your self different. But just to fub some more in your face (including the face of the IMF and the World Bank); here's some more of those news that your coorporate buddy Rupert chooses to leave out from his empire of news outlets:

It is worth noting that this growth comes during a time of international economic volatility. In comparison, United States’ 2007 GDP growth was 2.2%, Canada’s was 2.7% and Colombia’s, 6.5%. In 2007, Venezuela’s GDP grew by 8.3%.
And the full story for those of you who want to be conscious:

Venezuelan Economy Grows 7.1% in 19th Consecutive Quarter of Growth

August 20th 2008, by Tamara Pearson - Venezuelanalysis.com

Reflecting the increase in living standards and national production sovereignty, Venezuela’s gross domestic product (GDP) increased by 7.1% in the second quarter of 2008, relative to the same quarter in the previous year.

This growth is significantly higher than the 4.9% experienced in the first quarter of the year. It means an overall growth of 6.0% for the first half of the year.

The total demand for goods and services (domestic aggregate demand) also grew, driven by the revival of gross fixed investment.

This year in particular the government has focused on achieving economic sovereignty, which involves producing and processing products in Venezuela, rather than importing them. Investment in construction grew by 13.5% and in machinery and equipment by 4.4%.

The economic growth was sustained as much in oil related activity as in non-oil related activity, with the latter’s growth at 7.8%.

The favourable result of oil activity in the second quarter resulted mainly from the growth of production of crude oil, by both state and mixed companies, with an overall increase in the amount of external sales.

The main non-oil activities that contributed to the growth of Gross Value Added (GVA) (where goods and services obtain extra value in the productive process) were communications (24.6%), construction (11.7%), community, social and personal services (9.4%), business (8.9%), transport services (6.5%), manufacturing industry (4.5%) and the agricultural sector (3.9%).

Such results were principally brought about by higher demand, as much by spending on consumption as by investment and favored by the implementation of the plan of public and private investment, the continuation of the revival of family earnings, the higher level of employment and the consolidation of the government’s social programs at a national level.

The private manufacturing industry continued its pattern of expansion for the 19 consecutive quarters. This sector’s growth by 4.6% was fundamentally determined by growth in the manufacture of clothing (21%), paper (19.4%), non-metallic minerals (8.9%), wood products (8.1%), food, drinks and tobacco (7.1%), rubber and plastic manufacture (5.6%), printing and publishing (4.8%) and manufacture of chemical products and substances (1.4%).

The food industry continued to make significant progress in meeting the growth in demand, especially with the production of fats and oils (10.8%), bread products (10.1%), and the production, processing and preservation of meats and their derivatives (8.8%).

Construction activity registered a rebound in the second quarter, showing an increase of 11.7%, which was derived from an increase of 1.5% in the public sector and 23.2% in the private sector. Public sector growth was driven by the corresponding growth in the oil companies.

Private sector growth can be attributed to the housing industry, which grew by 18.8% and to non-residential construction (23.3%).

Owing to increased social investment, government sectors have also shown some economic growth (4.5%), with teaching and education growing by 4.8% and health by 1.6%.

Commercial activity grew by 8.9%, mainly as a result of the increase in the supply of tradable goods- both of national origin, and imported.

The volume of exports increased by 3.3%, with non-oil exports at US$1.6 billion, a decrease of 5.8% compared to the second quarter of last year, owing to less sales of the key products, such as common metals and auto vehicles.

Imports of goods increased by 10.8%, with an expenditure of US$11 billion. Main imports included medicine and pharmaceuticals, chemical substances, machines and equipment, oil, fats, meat, milk, cereal, and mobile phones.

Total assets increased in both the public and private sectors.

Public sector assets registered an increase of 38.4%, mainly owing to the amount of government deposits in Fonden (National Development Fund) and the joint China-Venezuela Fund, as well as the increase in outstanding receivable bills from the oil industry.

In the private sector, assets increased by 22.2%, which mainly comes from deposits in foreign banks and from an increased availability of foreign exchange through the issue of government bonds in foreign currency.

Other notable economic changes include the shift of employment from the informal to the formal sector, going from an almost even 50/50% in July 2004, to 57.5% in the formal sector and the remaining in the informal sector, in July 2008.

Inflation in 2008 has been significantly higher than last year (32.2% up from 22.5%), but the average under Chavez (20.9%) is still significantly lower than the previous two presidents (59.4% and 45.3% respectively).

Food scarcity in July dropped to 12.1%, down from a short-term peak of 24.7% in January of this year.

Public debt as a percentage of GDP fell to 19.3% in 2007, from 38.4 in 2004 and 45.9% in 1996.

It is worth noting that this growth comes during a time of international economic volatility. In comparison, United States’ 2007 GDP growth was 2.2%, Canada’s was 2.7% and Colombia’s, 6.5%. In 2007, Venezuela’s GDP grew by 8.3%.

Other countries, notably many from Africa, experienced quite high GDP growth. However because GDP is a total figure, it obscures inequalities.

In a graduation ceremony of the Cultural Mision, Chavez argued that a cultural revolution must accompany this well being of the country.

“Fascism is defeated with consciousness and consciousness is achieved with culture and knowledge,” he said.

Again, I want to stress that the actions taken by the Chavez gvmnt are better than any previous VE gvmnt, that they infact do work towards multiplying the sources of their income (and inevitably therefore creating new jobs in other sectors than oil), and that the way to a better situation is through economic sovereignty.

We also not only get to see factual figures but figures that are compared to previous years and previous goverments, as well as comparison to other countries. We should also not forget the devastating effect that those CIA led lockouts of November-January 2002-2003 had on VE's economy.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
In your wicked face $tinkle.

President Correa said the two state oil companies share the goal of promoting the social good, rather than generating profits for the few. “Those who command our democracies are the people and the people have said enough with the oligarchy. Another America is possible and we are lifting it up,” he declared Friday.
“A revolution is on the march in South America,” Chávez declared alongside President Correa. “We cannot lose any time, or else the conservative forces within us will win.”

Jmvar, I hope you're reading this, it will cheer you up!

Venezuela Advances Economic Cooperation with Argentina and Ecuador

August 30th 2008, by James Suggett - Venezuelanalysis.com

Mérida, August 29, 208 (venezuelanalysis.com)-- Advocating South American integration, President Hugo Chávez oversaw the signing of contracts with Argentine firms to construct “Socialist Factories” in Venezuela on Thursday and inaugurated joint oil exploitation in the Orinoco River Belt with Ecuador on Friday.

At a press conference with Argentine officials Thursday, Chávez pledged that “Venezuela will always be there to defend the interests of our peoples.”

To boost Venezuela’s steel and construction industries, the public industrial supplies company SUVINCA signed a $4.76 million contract with the Argentine firm IVANAR to supply Venezuela with materials to produce metal tubing and construct storage facilities, fences, and houses.

At a ceremony in Venezuela’s presidential palace, SUVINCA President Jesús Zambrano also signed contracts to build factories in Venezuela to produce medium-powered motors, such as those in water pumps, and industrial painting technology.

To help increase food production in Venezuela, SUVINCA signed contracts worth more than $50 million to construct agricultural machinery factories, vegetable and cereal processing plants, industrial slaughterhouses, and large scale refrigeration facilities.

Chávez explained that the contracts will fulfill 10% of the 200 “Socialist Factories” the administration pledged to build with Argentine financing and technology transfer last June.

SUVINCA, an autonomous public company, was founded in 2006 when President Chávez initiated his administration’s plans to build up Venezuela’s non-petroleum industries in cooperation with other South American nations.

“In Venezuela, we are advancing a national development project, which we are bringing closer to that of the government of Argentina,” Chávez declared Thursday.

Ecuador and Venezuela

Friday morning, Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa joined President Chávez in the Orinoco River Belt to formally begin the extraction of oil by the Ecuadorian state oil company, PETROECUADOR, and Venezuela’s PDVSA.

President Correa said the two state oil companies share the goal of promoting the social good, rather than generating profits for the few. “Those who command our democracies are the people and the people have said enough with the oligarchy. Another America is possible and we are lifting it up,” he declared Friday.

In the Orinoco Oil Belt PDVSA has formed mixed enterprises, maintaining at least 60% control, with oil companies from Brazil, Belarus, Malaysia, Uruguay, Argentina, China, Russia, India, Iran, Paraguay, and Ecuador to exploit what the Venezuelan government says is the world’s largest reserve of oil, estimated at over 235 billion barrels of oil.

President Chávez also announced Friday that Venezuela’s petro-chemical company PEQUIVEN will build new factories across the country to expand production of polypropylene-based synthetic wood and PVC pipe to be used for home construction, and phosphorous and urea fertilizers to increase food production.

These products will be offered to other Latin American countries at a 15% lower price than the prices set by private companies, Chávez assured. “We now have the goal of increasing our production of fertilizers to cover the demand inside and outside of our countries,” he emphasized.

“A revolution is on the march in South America,” Chávez declared alongside President Correa. “We cannot lose any time, or else the conservative forces within us will win.”

As part of the increased energy cooperation between Ecuador and Venezuela, Correa and Chávez launched the construction of a joint oil refinery with a 300,000 barrel per day capacity in Manta, Ecuador last July.

Argentina and Venezuela signed accords to exchange Venezuelan oil for Argentine food earlier this year, and Venezuela has bought several billion dollars worth of Argentine foreign debt over the past three years.

Chávez said Thursday that the region’s drive toward integration does not include intervention. “We will never interfere in the internal affairs of Argentina and vice versa, we are only joining efforts to smooth out the asymmetries that were there before,” he told the press.

That's my Indian, continue to develop the industry of his country to feed and house not only his people but also others around him. A lazer sword right up your ****in Sith ass $tinkle!

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I wish North America take control over South America one day....

I'm sick of this corrupted pseudo-socialist goverments that we got.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I wish North America take control over South America one day....

I'm sick of this corrupted pseudo-socialist goverments that we got.
You waps are all the same to me, I hope you all are dealt with like those indians were in Patagonia, we hang folks like you around here just for looking like you do. Then we can pave your whole continent and make a parkinglot out of it. I need some lebensraum for my car.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
http://www.tribunemagazine.co.uk/2008/10/21/el-salvador-poised-to-turn-left/

Enrico Tortolano says socialist Mauricio Funes is favourite to win El Salvador’s presidency in 2009

IN A sea of red T-shirts, flags and balloons, a voice breaks through the waves: “Change is coming. Let us all participate in the great party of hope.” The young man in glasses addressing the crowd looks more like a business-school academic than Che Guevara, yet he is mobbed by thousands of enthusiastic young supporters.
Interesting.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Thanks for passing that on, it was really joyful to read! I'm convinced that within the next 10years all Latin American countries, probably all Carribean too, will have turned towards socialist oriented governments, and hopefully they will be more socialist oriented than Bachelet's Chile..

What worries me lately is Mexico that under Felipe Calderon, who won in a questionable way (according to his main rival) a year or two ago, has started a criminalization of the social protest as they, according to human rights center Frayba in san Cristobal de las Casas, have started arresting and putting innocent, socially active, people in jail.

In places like Oaxaca and Chiapas there has been major protests and instead of starting a dialogue the government has answered with police oppressions; excessive violence, torture, house searches and threats. A militarization has started as there's a rising military presens in villages and at manifestations.

Invalid arrests and legal prosseses is common practice. The accused are denied attornies and/or translators (for the indeginous population) at trials, judges are corrupt, trials are partial and confessions are forced under torture. In its media campaign the government is portraying the activists like criminals that butcher third party interests, for instance the hindrance of traffic at demos or 'sit-downs'.

Quite scary really. Wonder if its the last desperate thrusts of the snake before it gets surrounded and dethroned. They sure must feel the fresh breeze blowing from the south.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
US scholars putting some leverage on Obama's McCainish Latin American policies.

Over 360 Latin America Experts Call on Obama to Improve U.S.-Latin American Relations

October 31st 2008, by Various Authors

WASHINGTON - October 28 - Anticipating a democratic victory in the November 4 presidential elections, 368 academics specializing in Latin America recently sent a letter urging Senator and presidential candidate Barack Obama to become a partner, rather than an adversary, concerning changes already under way in Latin America. Above all, the signers are asking Senator Obama to understand the current impetus for progressive change in many of the region's countries: the rejection of the failed "free-market" model of economic growth that has been imposed in most countries since the early 1980s - a period which has seen the worst economic growth failure in the region, in terms of per capita GDP, in over a century -- and the adoption of more socially just and environmentally sustainable development styles.

The signers expressed their hope that an Obama administration will embrace the opportunity to inaugurate a new period of hemispheric understanding and collaboration for the welfare of the entire Hemisphere.

Most of those signing are members of the Latin American Studies Association, the largest and most influential professional association of its kind in the world. Signers include Eric Hershberg, President of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA) and twelve LASA Past Presidents, along with over 350 other academics and Latin America experts.

The letter follows:

October 20, 2008

Dear Senator Obama:

We write to offer our congratulations on your campaign and to express our hope that as the next president of the United States you will take advantage of an historic opportunity to improve relations with Latin America. As scholars of the region, we also wish to convey our analysis regarding the process of change now underway in Latin America.

Just as the people of the United States have begun to debate basic questions regarding the sort of society they want-- thanks in part to your own candidacy but also owing to the magnitude of the current financial crisis-- so too have the people of Latin America. In fact, the debate about a just and fair society has been going on in Latin America for more than a decade, and the majority are opting, like you and so many of us in the United States, for hope and change. As academics personally and professionally committed to development and democracy in Latin America, we are hopeful that during your presidency the United States can become a partner rather than an adversary to the positive changes already under way in the hemisphere.

The current impetus for change in Latin America is a rejection of the model of economic growth that has been imposed in most countries since the early 1980s, a model that has concentrated wealth, relied unsuccessfully on unrestricted market forces to solve deep social problems and undermined human welfare. The current rejection of this model is broad-based and democratic. In fact, contemporary movements for change in Latin America reveal significantly increased participation by workers and peasants, women, Afro-descendants and indigenous peoples-- in a word, the grassroots. Such movements are coming to power in country after country. They are neither puppets, nor blinded by fanaticism and ideology, as caricatured by some mainstream pundits. To the contrary, these movements deserve our respect, friendship and support.

Latin Americans have often viewed the United States not as a friend but as an oppressor, the guarantor of an international economic system that works against them, rather than for them-- the very antithesis of hope and change. The Bush Administration has made matters much worse, and U.S. prestige in the region is now at a historic low. Washington's tendency to fight against hope and change has been especially prominent in recent U.S. responses to the democratically elected governments of Venezuela and Bolivia. While anti-American feelings run deep, history demonstrates that these feelings can change. In the 1930s, after two decades of conflict with the region, the United States swore off intervention and adopted a Good Neighbor Policy. Not coincidentally, it was the most harmonious time in the history of U.S.-Latin American relations. In the 1940s, nearly every country in the region became our ally in World War Two. It can happen again.

There are many other challenges, too. Colombia, the main focus of the Bush Administration's policy, is currently the scene of the second largest humanitarian crisis in the world, with four million internally displaced people. Its government, which criminalizes even peaceful protest, seeks an extension of the free trade policies that much of the hemisphere is already reacting against. Cuba has begun a process of transition that should be supported in positive ways, such as through the dialogue you advocate. Mexicans and Central Americans migrate by the tens of thousands to seek work in the United States, where their labor power is much needed but their presence is denigrated by a public that has, since the development of opinion polling in the 1930s, always opposed immigration from anywhere. The way to manage immigration is not by building a giant wall, but rather, the United States should support more equitable economic development in Mexico and Central America and, indeed, throughout the region. In addition, the U.S. must reconsider drug control policies that have simply not worked and have been part of the problem of political violence, especially in Mexico, Colombia and Peru. And the U.S. must renew its active support for human rights throughout the region. Unfortunately, in the eyes of many Latin Americans, the United States has come to stand for the support of inequitable regimes.

Finally, we implore you to commit your administration to the firm support of constitutional rights, including academic and intellectual freedom. Most of us are members of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA), the largest professional association of experts on the region, and we have experienced first-hand how the Bush administration's attempt to restrict academic exchange with Cuba is counter-productive and self-defeating. We hope for an early opportunity to discuss this and other issues regarding Latin America with your administration.

Our hope is that you will embrace the opportunity to inaugurate a new period of hemispheric understanding and collaboration for the common welfare. We ask for change and not only in the United States.

Sincerely,

SIGNED:

freightGOD

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
The low down on the repressive nature for political activists in Peru, a few quick questions and answers with an activist, as the 'FARC computers' still haunt people with their planted information.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=44885

Among those alleged to have relations with the FARC are Renán Raffo, the leader of Peru’s Communist Party, Alberto Moreno, of the Communist Party of Peru-Red Fatherland party, and Olmedo Auris, of Peru’s teachers’ trade union (SUTEP).

Nine months after the arrest of the seven activists at the border between Peru and Ecuador, Gonzáles La Rosa is the only one of the group still in jail, although the other six are still facing charges. He has asked to be released on bail too.

Galindo asked the court to reject this request, and at the hearing accused Gonzáles La Rosa of defying authority because he was wearing a red t-shirt, "a subversive colour" according to the prosecutor.
This has turned into a total Orwellian world after 911.

IPS: You went to Quito as a CCB-Peru delegate. Did you know that the Colombian police are saying that there is information on Reyes' laptop that apparently indicates that the CCB was created by the FARC?

RGLR: At no point in the trial has this been mentioned. Neither have the Peruvian anti-terrorist police indicated any such thing. In fact, the Colombian Attorney General, Mario Iguarán, who is in charge of the investigations into Reyes, said on a visit to Lima in June that an alleged mention of someone on his computer is not in itself sufficient evidence for accusing anyone before a judge.

This is the Attorney General of Colombia we are talking about here, and not prosecutor Galindo, who is laughable.
On top of that, the Interpol critisized the Colombians for their handling of those computers during those three days inbetween the raid and the handover to the Interpol. They said that no information would hold in court due to that handeling.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Chavez is running for a 2012 term, countdown to when someone screams dictator

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Samirol said:
Chavez is running for a 2012 term, countdown to when someone screams dictator
what countdown? didn't he already put to a vote his longevity, only to be subsequently ignored?

[por ahora...]

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Well, not running yet, but he is pushing for a constitutional amendment to let him run

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
what countdown? didn't he already put to a vote his longevity, only to be subsequently ignored?

[por ahora...]
If you're refering to last years referendum of some 50 or so proposed law changes, of which non-limited presidential reelections was one of them, then yes he lost that with aboutish fifteen thousand votes (15.000).

Por ahora - in time?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Are there ANY pictures of hot Latinas in this South American thread? :confused:
This is soo worth a banning...

Suckas to the side, I kno you hate, her ninety-eight, SHE's GONNA GET YOURS!

Do you like a dance, senor?

SPANISH mutha f*cka, do you speak it?

Is that a flirt or what??

EDIT: I don't know what happened to all my lovely pics I posted but I'll link them instead so that ****less wont miss them.

http://www.famosas.biz/pampita/pampi138.jpg

http://www.famosas.biz/pampita/pampi091.jpg

http://www.famosas.biz/pampita/pampi223.jpg

http://www.famosas.biz/pampita/pampi065.jpg

http://www.famosas.biz/pampita/pampi018.jpg

Last edited:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Thanks for sharing this, I really apreciate it as it gives a critical portrayal of Chavez. It's silly fresh stuff too. Sadly, the amount of disinformation, and the clear bias it has many times, takes away some of my trust in the other parts; the serious issues it adresses.

I will adress it, but it will take some time as I have to rewatch it and write down everything as it comes. In the mean time I again advise you and everybody to see "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", that I have linked to on a previos page in this thread, so that you can see with your own eyes what it is that I find biased and disinformative (something I continously rant about).

Last edited:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I've watched it again and I found most, but not all, their arguments to be unfair or misleading. It's obvious that they're out witch hunting. I dunno where to start, really, it's ridiculous.

Chapter 1
* They question him for being an enemy of the USA! Really, it's not the other way around by chanse?
* They go on about what a president, or similar, may do, or not do, on TV. Later, one person calls him for the "worlds first virtual president". So he brakes new waves.
* They question his revolutionary programs, the public spending part, and thus wants the viewer to think that public spending on poor people is poop.
* They claim the public debt to IMF to be $30bn, while simultanioulsy fainling to say that they have $40bn in currency reserves. The reason that Chavez don't want to pay the IMF their money is because he finds the debt illegitemate due to it was created by the previous two thieving gvmnts that acted on behalf of the IMF.

Chapter 2
* They question Chavez for questioning consumerism! WTF?!!
* His coup buddy, Jesus Urdaneta, is still pissed at him because he found his 1992 surrender to be "treason". What good would come out of his mouth?
* A. Barrera bashes Chavez for his surrendering speach in 1992, while later admitting that "if anyone is aware of the importance of the media, it is Chavez." So he acted right then after all?!!
* As the way they have cut Luis Miquilena's part it's not clear what he wants; Chavez did follow his advise on a non violent overtaking!
* In Chavez's own mid 90's words: "The media has for us a fundamental priority, because it is a weapon for the ideolofical struggle, and a weapon to express to the people the hope that we all have."
* "The media loved him, and he loved them back." As long as your a charismatic tool they'll love you.

Chapter 3
* The opposition and the media turned violent after Chavez passed laws, by executive order, in 2002, that doubled the royalties to the state, and the lad reform law that allowed expropriations --> to make more land farmable. So from now on he was a threat to the rich. How poor wouldn't they still be today if it hadn't had these laws?
* "When opposition violence erupted, the media gave voice to them." What that "voice" exactly was is shown in the documentary I've recomended a few times already.

Here they totally avoid to show what role the media had during the coup, specially RCTV. Why?!!

Chapter 4
* "In Dec 2002, PDVSA desided to shut down, 90% of the employees, workers and executives, went on strike." I've made a note to check those figures, they're not like I remember them..
* Humberto Berti: "20000 people, 50% of PDVSA, was dismissed. They brought around new peple wihtouth any knowledge at all. Tey don't produce the oil they were producing before. They aren't refining the amount of oil they were refining before." What do they want to say with this? Was VE and its people richer pre Chavez era?!! :biggrin:
* H. Berti "Chavez can use that money [incomes from PDVSA] for political purposes, outside VE." Like that differs from what country? And then he continues about that Chavez "promise money" to other nations, and that this income primarily "comes from the USA". With this they're trying to manipulate the US citizen. No money are given away (like if they didn't have the right to do so if they wanted...), those are loans. NOT GIFTS.
* "60% of VE's oil goes to the USA." Again, they're trying to agitate the US American that 'his money' is going to governments in Cuba, Nicaragua, Russia, Iran. How can it be still 'his money'? :plthumbsdown:
* The cooperatives, what are they trying to say here, that governmental projects in the West don't have blunders? Ridiculous. How big is the extent of this, is it another example of HRW type disinformaiton? "Don't know marketing", sure, but they know how to ask for help, right? Or were these people better of as a part of those 60% in poverty 10 years ago. :disgust1:
* The master builder. This too sounds ****ed but is it disinformaton again, how can I trust anything comming from these guys? I know that Chavez has nationalized three cement making companies due to them exporting building material instead of supplying the internal market.
* T. Petkoff "With all the countries wealth, why does it seem so difficult to make things work?"
He almost answered his own question perfecly:
"So of course, when they did away with all the old elites, who had governed us for half a century, they substituted, improvised, incompetent, unformed teams, and this is the result." With all the wealth we have here, and for so long, we still haven't solved our problems, and we've never had a rabid opposition that is totally non-cooperative. :nopity:

Chapter 5
*Chavez's reactions on accusations are quite simple to understand with just a little psychological knowledge, just like E.D. Rangel from Ultima Noticias explained with the insight he has. "People don't like critisism, it's human nature." Watch the documentary and you'll get a pictue of the accusations Chavez gets to live with..
*Petkoff continously failes to see this simplest of psychological reaction. He says that Chavez is reacting like this because he likes to hog against people, even his friends (like E.D. Rangel), and to make it out to be a warning to others; that Chavez thinks "I'm above you". Then why don't Chavez stuff him self from the very begining like all true 'statesman' before him, and just don't bother with all the poor? Ridiculous.
* Then we get to watch a very military like boss; in the way he asks for reports/debriefing from his 'junior commanders' and the various 'fronts' they represent. I don't think his style is good, but he's an officer after all, that's how they command, right? :lighten:
* Further, we get a testament from one of the ministers that 80% of their beans are imported. And they critisize him for expropriating land so that they can grow more? :disgust1:
* N Paniz calles his audience for "focas", seals. Unlike what other masses in wich country? :plthumbsdown: