Quantcast

The Verdict is in on my hand

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So, after being jerked around by the doctor all week, He finally called me tonight and told me what was up. I got a CT scan today, and it revealed two small breaks in the "hand hook" or somthing like that. He says that right now, it appears that I do not need surgery :thumb:

He's gonna examine me one more time next week, and then set and cast it. If it gives me problems months down the road, then i'll have to have surgery.

Looks like I wont be making Snowshoe :(

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
That's probably "hamate hook" he said. The hamate is the small bone just at the base of your palm on the little finger side. It's one of the carpal bones, and the transverse carpal ligament (which forms the carpal tunnel) attaches to the hook. If the fracture makes a rough surface, a lot of people go on to get frayed or ruptured flexor tendons, a bad thing. They often go in and remove the fractured piece to prevent the tendon problems. I hope the doc you saw is an orthopedic surgeon or a sports med doc; a regular GP might not be up on the possible implications of the injury. Incidentally, the hamate is one of the bones they mean when they say "rolling the bones", and is why they call dice "bones".

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
lockemiester said:
Once again, BrokenmikeMike. Sorry to hear. Maybe the injury fairies will leave you alone now.

Yeah, F500SL brought up in the cycle central VA forum that it was BrokenBikeMike's turn, not BrokenMikeMike.

Oh well, at least I was pushing myself, and I nailed the 15' gap in the middle of the race run :thumb::D