Quantcast

The Very Unofficial Gravity South Series

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
“The Very Unofficial Gravity South Series”
Feb 19: The Heartbreaker, Super D'ish Enduro Stylish, all for fun.
March 3: Clemson Freeride's 7th Annual Spring Downhill Race, Clemson, SC, Independent
March 10: Beech Mtn, DS, Beech Mtn, NC, usac
April 14: ETSU DH/DS & pumptrack State Championship,Johnston City,TN, usac
April 28: Rocky Knob Fest, Boone, NC
April 28-29: Massanutten, DH, Massanutten, VA, usac?
May 5&6: Wind Springfeast, Windrock, TN
May 12: Fort Duffin, Louisville, KY, usac
June 1: Pisgah Enduro, for fun it seems.
June 3: Bump-n-Grind, Super D, Pelham, Al, part of the us cup, east, usac
June 9-10: Snowshoe #1, Snowshoe, WV, Independent
June 9: Hoo-Haa, Super D, Massanutten, VA, part of the us cup, east, usac
June 16: Beech, Beach Mtn, NC
June 27-July 1: World Cup Windham, NY, UCI (ges race too, usac, worth the trip)*
July 20-22: USAC National Championships @ Beech Mtn, NC, usac
July 29-29: Snowshoe #2, Snowshoe, WV, Independent
Aug 4: Fontana Super D, Fontana, NC, part of the us cup, east, usac
Aug 18: Beach, Beach Mtn, NC
Aug 25: Dark Mtn Super-D, Wilkesboro, NC, usac
August 25: The Chomolungma Challenge @ Snowshoe, Independent
Sept 8-9: Gravity East @ Snowshoe, Snowshoe, WV, usac
Sept 7-9: US/Canadian Open DH/DS @ Whiteface**
Sept 15: Beech, Beech Mtn, NC
Sept 22-23: Snowshoe #3, Snowshoe, WV, Independent
Oct 13: Windrock Fallfest, Independent
Nov 17-18: Paris Mtn 2012 DH State Championship, Greenville, SC, usac

Beech hopefully and may have a few other events.
Windrock? Sugar Mtn? Dark Mtn?
Snowshoe is close enough to the south and below the Mason-Dixon Line.
*Yes, I know, Windham NY is not the the south at all, BUT it is the only World Cup Race in the USA, worth the trip up and there is a GES race the same weekend at Windham. The GES race doesn't go down the WC course, still a good time. If you have never seen a WC race in person, it is worth the trip.
**Yes, I know, Whiteface NY is not located below the Mason-Dixon Line, BUT sense the US OPEN is not happing at the old Diablo/Mountain Creek Mtb park, maybe this US/Can Open is worth checking out.

Websites:
http://www.beechmountainresort.com/sports/mountain_bike.html
http://rockyknob.wordpress.com/
www.bmcc.us
http://www.facebook.com/events/337882892932453/ ...pisgah enduro info
http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/races/2012-schedule/index.htm
https://www.facebook.com/events/249030288507744/?notif_t=event_invite
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=221
http://www.gravityeastseries.com/
http://www.downhillmike.com/

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That's what I figured. Is Curtis Creek open? I might be in the area first week of March.
Only way to know if Curtis Creek is open would be to call the F.S offices in McDowell County (city of Marion) and you also have to go to the B.R.P.'s website and check the mile marker closures. Typically, the gravel is shut down until April.
Edit: year round access can sometimes go via Lake Tahoma on the pavement (but may be blocked by B.R.P. closures) Access from Asheville to the top is most likely shut down from Craggy on up to Mitchell.

Interesting side note about the area:
The Mt. Mitchell State Park staff keeps one road open to access the park 365 and that is from the north side.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
We're planning to have a Super D series (probably 3 races) at Dark Mtn this year. Dates will be decided on once Beech finalizes & post any DH races.
Hey Matt, excited to hear about a Super D series. Please make the course(es) a little longer so it isn't just a sprint. Thanks!

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
dark mtn was super fun last year!! Time for a lighter bike this year. Watch out next to last place here I come

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Hey Matt, excited to hear about a Super D series. Please make the course(es) a little longer so it isn't just a sprint. Thanks!
Looking at a possible new course at Warrior Creek which would definitely have a longer time. Going to try to work the new Headwaters trail in...the long rocky uphill is what's throwing me. Pure rocks, super technical climb that is about 1/4 mile long....did I mention UPHILL..afraid a lot of folks would be walking it. If I can get it worked out it would probably be the series finale.:thumb:

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
I think its okay to have an uphill section for a hike-a-bike, for a Super-d course. The section would make it interesting for the race and to find out who has a good set of all around skills. Some of the super-d races out in the northern west have up hills and one of the super long dh races in Canada has a hike a bike section. I vote for the technical UPHILL section.

Last edited:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
I think okay to have an uphill section for a hike-a-bike, for a Super-d course. The section would make it interesting for the race and to find out who has a good set of all around skills. Some of the super-d races out in the northern west have up hills and one of the super long dh races in Canada has a hike a bike section. I vote for the technical UPHILL section.
may have to look at doing a time penalty for racers that run through the rocks versus ones that actually ride through them...some sections would definitely be fast to pick up the bike and run through:D

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
Maybe there could just be people on the side of the trail that spray them with paint blood or urine or something ... This is not cyclocross

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
As long as you don't include the new loop within Warrior that's about 3/4 way through. (turn right on the double track near the wooden bridge over a log) A friend and I rode that a month or so back and it was brutal. Energy output equivalent to several miles of the regular trail. Super technical rocky switchbacks everywhere.

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Russelll

Please Update: Paris Mtn DH November 17-18.

We decided to change our venue to Greenville SC instead of Sparkle-burg SC. Sparkle-burg has too much crime going on and we did not feel that our racers would be safe there.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Russelll

Please Update: Paris Mtn DH November 17-18.

We decided to change our venue to Greenville SC instead of Sparkle-burg SC. Sparkle-burg has too much crime going on and we did not feel that our racers would be safe there.
10-4, Done.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Just my thoughts about race dates for Beech and Dark Mtn and Windrock:
The Month of May weekends are open for the south area it looks, June 16-17 and June 22-23 weekends are open, July 14 is open too, August 10 weekend is open, the month of Oct is open too.

Last edited:

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
If I can make it work around what Ski Beech has planned, and Matt is available for timing, I'd like to do another Super D, probably in May, so I can make it up to all of you who got screwed by the weather last year. I'd need a little help with the trail beforehand - clean up from the winter, and redo that one corner I cut way too tight last year. Talia said she'd have their schedule figured out pretty soon, so I just need to hear from Matt and y'all if you want it to happen. Hope everyone has fun today at the DS and good luck getting to stand on my podiums.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Just my thoughts about race dates for Beech and Dark Mtn and Windrock:
The Month of May weekends are open for the south area it looks, June 16-17 and June 22-23 weekends are open, July 14 is open too, August 10 weekend is open, the month of Oct is open too.
If you're referring to a DH race, I hope Beech could slide one in prior to Nats for quali purposes (especially if Massanutten chooses not to work with USAC as they did last year). However, I will take whatever they can offer.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
Thanks for the feedback. Oct would work better for me, presuming it's not too late/cold. July might be tough being so close to nats. I'll defer to y'all, but the course is probably has to much pedaling to bill it as a DH. I could run it non-USAC as well.

park baker

Chimp
Aug 31, 2010
brevard
may have to look at doing a time penalty for racers that run through the rocks versus ones that actually ride through them...some sections would definitely be fast to pick up the bike and run through:D
Don't listen to them dorks Matt. It's probably not really a hike-a-bike anyway. They're just titties.

Props for this suggestion. Points for riding your multi-thousand dollar machine up and over everything instead of walking? Maybe soon enough mountain bike race promoters will actually include mountain biking in their races.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
If I can make it work around what Ski Beech has planned, and Matt is available for timing, I'd like to do another Super D, probably in May, so I can make it up to all of you who got screwed by the weather last year. I'd need a little help with the trail beforehand - clean up from the winter, and redo that one corner I cut way too tight last year. Talia said she'd have their schedule figured out pretty soon, so I just need to hear from Matt and y'all if you want it to happen. Hope everyone has fun today at the DS and good luck getting to stand on my podiums.
Racin xc this year so May is pretty slammed, Hobby Park, Whitewater Center & BURN 24. Smalley maybe open to something on a Saturday but doubt it since he's these three events.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
although we have had a few great races in the past, with, prizes,insurance,and so on,it is so hard for 3 people to make a good race happen,any sugestions,sponsors,help in any way, i would love to get the ttc on that list of races this year.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
@ roperacer... if you guys get something on the schedule I am sure that we might be able to work something out for some prizes for the podium riders, dependent on the number of the classes/cats you have. Please note that I don't think our prizes alone will be enough though.... I just currently don't have a lot of variety/variation in prizes as it stands today. There is a chance this could change as I talked to our team sponsor rep this week and he's gonna see if we can get some more stuff for future prizes.

Just let me know what happens. I'd love to come back that way and spend some time in that area.

Jay

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
we still got a north face full gear prize left over from last race and we would only have a total of 6 prizes,, int. and expert class,,, there is no such thing as a begginer class at ttc,,, pick a race date, and if we could get atleast 20 riders..then we can race!

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
If you guys have just two classes, there will not be a problem donating 6 prizes for podium riders (assuming three podium riders per class). Just give Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis some props for chipping in and we are golden. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in and keep me posted.

Thanks!

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
although we have had a few great races in the past, with, prizes,insurance,and so on,it is so hard for 3 people to make a good race happen,any sugestions,sponsors,help in any way, i would love to get the ttc on that list of races this year.
I have a planing guide for races and events that may and might be helpful, let me know if you are interested.

thanza

Chimp
Aug 20, 2009
Tally Nasty, Fl
So, if anyone from Tallahassee, Fl doing these races, I would be stoked to join the ride to one of the races. Make it a cheap drive. I do have a rig I would be brining to race. Hit me up!!!

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
So, if anyone from Tallahassee, Fl doing these races, I would be stoked to join the ride to one of the races. Make it a cheap drive. I do have a rig I would be brining to race. Hit me up!!!
I'll be coming from Tampa and Tallahasee is basically on the way, so that might work. Which races you going to?