Quantcast

The Very Unofficial Gravity South Series

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
I really dont care what the date is but if we can have super d in the south you can bet my shining facew ill be all over the coarse. just not the week of august 10th. kokanee crankworx is that week and plans are in the make for a group to be heading up to whistler including me. :)

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
Working on an enduro for the Brevard area, gonna be a bit different, its gonna use Strava and garmins. You'll have about three monthes to do the loops, and you can do them multiple times. There will be certain timed sections and they'll be added up at the end. Ill have more details up soon, we're working on it. stay tuned.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Working on an enduro for the Brevard area, gonna be a bit different, its gonna use Strava and garmins. You'll have about three monthes to do the loops, and you can do them multiple times. There will be certain timed sections and they'll be added up at the end. Ill have more details up soon, we're working on it. stay tuned.
Hope somebody pushes the buttons for me b/c I'm retarded illiterate with GPS. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hope somebody pushes the buttons for me b/c I'm retarded illiterate with GPS. :D
With what they are talking about, all you do is push the start button in the parking lot before you ride, and push the stop button when you finish your ride. The GPS and the Strava app does the rest, and whatever "course" is chosen has been created and is called a segment. So when your ride that segment, your time is recorded and posted.
So basically, you make every trail ride a race.
I predict awesomeness and mass casualties.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
With what they are talking about, all you do is push the start button in the parking lot before you ride, and push the stop button when you finish your ride. The GPS and the Strava app does the rest, and whatever "course" is chosen has been created and is called a segment. So when your ride that segment, your time is recorded and posted.
So basically, you make every trail ride a race.
I predict awesomeness and mass casualties.
I predict that waiting for friends, conversations and any assistance w/ bike repairs being forsaken in the name of the all important "Hot Lap". :rockout:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
&#8220;The Very Unofficial Gravity South Series&#8221;
Feb 19: The Heartbreaker, Super D'ish Enduro Stylish, all for fun.
March 3: Clemson Freeride's 7th Annual Spring Downhill Race, Clemson, SC, Independent
March 10: Beech Mtn, DS, Beech Mtn, NC, usac
April 14: ETSU DH/DS & pumptrack State Championship,Johnston City,TN, usac
April 28: Rocky Knob Fest, Boone, NC
April 28-29: Massanutten, DH, Massanutten, VA, usac?
May: 5&6 Wind Springfeast, Windrock, TN
June 3: Bump-n-Grind, Super D, Pelham, Al, part of the us cup, east, usac
June 9-10: Snowshoe #1, Snowshoe, WV, Independent
June 9: Hoo-Haa, Super D, Massanutten, VA, part of the us cup, east, usac
June 16: Beech, Beach Mtn, NC
June 27-July 1: World Cup Windham, NY, UCI (ges race too, usac, worth the trip)*
July 20-22: USAC National Championships @ Beech Mtn, NC, usac
July 29-29: Snowshoe #2, Snowshoe, WV, Independent
Aug 4: Fontana Super D, Fontana, NC, part of the us cup, east, usac
Aug 18: Beach, Beach Mtn, NC
August 25: The Chomolungma Challenge @ Snowshoe, Independent
August 25: Dark Mtn Super D, Wilkesboro, NC usac
Sept 8-9: Gravity East @ Snowshoe, Snowshoe, WV, usac
Sept 7-9: US/Canadian Open DH/DS @ Whiteface**
Sept 15: Beech, Beech Mtn, NC
Sept 22-23: Snowshoe #3, Snowshoe, WV, Independent
Nov 17-18: Paris Mtn 2012 DH State Championship, Greenville, SC, usac

Beech hopefully and may have a few other events.
Windrock? Sugar Mtn? Dark Mtn?
Snowshoe is close enough to the south and below the Mason-Dixon Line.
*Yes, I know, Windham NY is not the the south at all, BUT it is the only World Cup Race in the USA, worth the trip up and there is a GES race the same weekend at Windham. The GES race doesn't go down the WC course, still a good time. If you have never seen a WC race in person, it is worth the trip.
**Yes, I know, Whiteface NY is not located below the Mason-Dixon Line, BUT sense the US OPEN is not happing at the old Diablo/Mountain Creek Mtb park, maybe this US/Can Open is worth checking out.

Websites:
http://www.beechmountainresort.com/sports/mountain_bike.html
http://rockyknob.wordpress.com/
http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/races/2012-schedule/index.htm
https://www.facebook.com/events/249030288507744/?notif_t=event_invite
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=221
http://www.gravityeastseries.com/
http://www.downhillmike.com/

Dark Mtn Super D - Aug 25th (I know this conflicts with Snowshoe...sorry. This will be part of the Southern Classic Series which is already scheduled (XC) for the 26th.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
*Yes, I know, Windham NY is not the the south at all, BUT it is the only World Cup Race in the USA, worth the trip up and there is a GES race the same weekend at Windham. The GES race doesn't go down the WC course, still a good time. If you have never seen a WC race in person, it is worth the trip.
+1.... We went last year and I could not agree more. I will go every year it's in driving distance. Yeah it's a 14 hour drive, but like russsell said, totally worth it.

william

Chimp
May 17, 2012
SnowShoe Race #1: Is anyone going to race #1, June 9-10 want to share a condo at the Stemwider? June 7-10, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, check out Monday morning, 4 bedroom, full Kitchen, non-smoking for $1,444 before tax. It will be me, my wife and 3 dogs, Pm me if interested.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Update, little late to the so called Very Unofficial Gravity South...Windrock, Fallfestoct 13.

Last edited:

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
So, any races or events scheduled for 2013 yet? Time to start planing for next years races and event already.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
I hope some places in the south are talking with the Gravity East, Eastern States Cup, Grand Prix of MTB, and the USAC Pro race promoters and directors to work with each other for race and event dates for 2013, which would include some races in their series.
Maybe all four of the series could get together, help each other, while helping out the racers that support the sport, with some good scheduling dates.
Wishful thinking here, maybe all of you promoters could have one really big race, all four promoters as one, to have a East Coast Championship race, like say, Snowshoe in the fall time, sort of an middle area, kinda of.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Don't be fooled into thinking the Northeast wants to come to NC to race for any reason. They've got no reason to come down off all those mountains for what we have to offer just yet.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
I know a guy in Mountain Rest, SC that has built a slope style/freeride park that's pretty legit and he wants to make it a private destination spot for hosting slope style events and such.

The hike back to the top isn't bad, but it can be easily shuttled. He's put a ton of work into building some big **** that's pretty fun. There may only be about 150ft of vertical drop, but there's a lot of potential for more jump lines, etc. If someone wanted to help push a slope style event or something of that sort in the south, I can get you in touch with him or vice versa.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I know a guy in Mountain Rest, SC that has built a slope style/freeride park that's pretty legit and he wants to make it a private destination spot for hosting slope style events and such.

The hike back to the top isn't bad, but it can be easily shuttled. He's put a ton of work into building some big **** that's pretty fun. There may only be about 150ft of vertical drop, but there's a lot of potential for more jump lines, etc. If someone wanted to help push a slope style event or something of that sort in the south, I can get you in touch with him or vice versa.
Where is this? Although I'm not real big into that stuff yet, might be cool to check out since I'm in the area.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yee have little faith ole Biiiiizutch.
I should clarify (as I always should). Folks in the northeast during spring/summer/fall have little reason to come south because they have an OVER abundance of well serviced, maintained parks to choose from. Now, late fall, winter and early spring when none of their stuff is rideable yet, we stand the best chance of getting them to come down. ;) Hence, Fall Fest and Spring Fest at WR.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I should clarify (as I always should). Folks in the northeast during spring/summer/fall have little reason to come south because they have an OVER abundance of well serviced, maintained parks to choose from. Now, late fall, winter and early spring when none of their stuff is rideable yet, we stand the best chance of getting them to come down. ;) Hence, Fall Fest and Spring Fest at WR.
johnny!.jpg