Quantcast

The Village-Spoilers...kinda

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I really liked it...too bad they took the basis of the story from a juveniles novel (Running Out Of Time). I did enjoy the film though, but I was sort of expecting a scary movie, but they killed my dreams. Was kind of predictable, from almost the beginning you can pick up on the fact that the "creatures" don't exist, they're there to keep the people in the village. However, I didn't pick up on that it was really in the present, not 1897.

Anyways, three stars. :thumb:

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
bigginsis said:
i thought it was spooky but didn't like the whole "support group utopia" thing - that kid of ron howard's is awesome though

Has she been any any other films?

I was watching a show and she said she didn't realized how famous/repected her father was in this industry until last year. How could he hide that from her?

Oh... I just hit me. This film is really about her true life. M. Night S. had a discussion one night with Howard about his daughter finally learning the truth about him and his career, despite his attempt to shelter her from it. Knight then turns it into a movie, and who better to have in it. Quite a play on real life. J/K :blah:

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
that's a cool idea except that kirsten dunst was originally playing that role..i think ron's girl had some bit parts and M Night saw her in a play and hired her on the spot.
i think it would be hard to live up to the whole sixth sense thing - everyone expects to be shocked - but he is one of the best technical directors out there right now - just needs someone else to write maybe?

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
My main gripe about M Knight, is that he is really good at building tension, but then there's no payoff.

I agree with the post earlier. His movies are the film equivalent to "blue balls".

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
xbluethunderx said:
Yeah...tons of tension, but then nothing...Its like sex with no orgasm...

I donno about that... the Village delivered but not in the mindless way one would assume it was gonna.

I think it would have been more helpful if there had been a lot more explaination on why the Villagers left society in the first place and why they were so opposed on ever returning to the outside.

I liked the unexpected twist.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Its hiding behind another genre, I wanted a scary movie and I got a suspense drama-isssh. It's like hiring a hooker and finding out shes really a man AFTER you did the deed :eek:

Even after I'd picked up on the fact that the monsters weren't real, I still expected it to have a freaky twist like some horrible secret the elders were hiding or just something.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
xbluethunderx said:
Its hiding behind another genre, I wanted a scary movie and I got a suspense drama-isssh. It's like hiring a hooker and finding out shes really a man AFTER you did the deed :eek:

Even after I'd picked up on the fact that the monsters weren't real, I still expected it to have a freaky twist like some horrible secret the elders were hiding or just something.

I am thinking the marketing tried to make the movie something it wasn't... and that's a horror movie. It was more like a 'Twilight Zone' kinda freaky than a 'Nightmare on Elm Street' kinda slasher flick.

Bad-bad marketing.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ridemonkey said:
Speaking from experience?
I'm still freaked out about the "deed" he did :eek: I mean, a BJ is a deed "she" would do.

I disliked Signs, so I doubt I'll like this.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ridemonkey said:
Speaking from experience?
No no...of course not...wha..what experience?!?! I THOUGHT THAT NIGHT WAS A SECRET BETWEEN US!!! :p

In other news, it was much better than Signs. Signs was a terrible movie...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
If there's any indication on how disappointed i was with Signs it would have to be how long it took me to see this movie.....
and there was a chance i would have waited for video since i was going to go see Resident Evil Apocolypse but quickly realized i'm retarded and that doesn't get released until next week....
anyways i'm glad i didn't wait, it was a good flick.