The washing of the bike clothes

Washing bike clothes

• Yes, I follow cleaning instructions

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • No, I wash them with everything else

Votes: 35 68.6%
  • I hand wash them

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I don't understand......"clean them"???

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So do you actually follow the instructions on the tags and wash your bike clothes on delicate cycle, or do you just say screw it and throw your bike clothes in with the rest of your laundry?

I usually keep a pile of dirty bike clothes aside, and when the pile gets big enough, I do indeed wash them on delicate cycle with Woolite (heavily scented detergents attract mondo mosquitos).

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Most stuff goes in the normal wash. A few pieces get special care: wool jersey, seal skinz socks, waterproof jacket...

J

JRB

Perma press with regular detergent, some oxy clean and bleach on occasion. Hang most up to dry.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
usually they go in w/ the regular stuff, aside from muddy DH days. then they have a dedicated load, usually a pre-wash cycle w/ no soap (in addition to manual washing in the basement sink).

i've found that a bit of white vinegar helps cut the funk if it's stubborn.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'll throw my pants, shirts, socks in w/ everything else, but if I'm washing my leg armor, I do a delicate cycle.

To wash uppers, I just wear them into the shower and use soap.
;)

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I just throw it in the washing machine with everything else. Some stuff I hang dry, some goes in the dryer.

Pads, helmet and gloves get sprayed with Simple Green then hosed off.

PS - Thanks for the custom title, I think. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I wash them with everything else. In the winter, I wear enough clothes to make my own load, so it's not a problem. In the summer (when I acutally wear bike clothing), I just make sure it gets in the wash as soon as I get home so the mud doesn't stain anything... but they go in with regular clothes on the regular cycle.

Socks will often go 3 or so rides between washings, and gloves get washed a few times a season.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
I've always thought that washing them on the regular cycle can damage the materials bike clothes are made of.
Dunno - I don't have any real fancy clothes though... padded shorts, socks, and one poly jersey.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
I've always thought that washing them on the regular cycle can damage the materials bike clothes are made of.
they might fade a bit, but i've never had any problem. when washing my dainese, i definitely make sure that all the velcro straps are secured well.

-bb-, you could try a laundry bag for yr armor, but i've found that regular washing doesn't affect it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i wash my with everything else on the warm cold cylcle. sometimes i hang them up to dry, sometimes i throw them in the dryer. i don't have a lot of bike clothes so if i waited for enough for one load, they would stay dirty forever. in the summer when i wear them a lot and therefore wash them a lot, i hang them out to dry. in the winter, they go in the dryer.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I wash them just like everything else, just throw that stuff in there add detergent and go.

They do however get their own load.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i do tend to air-dry stuff instead of tossing it in the dryer. the chamois life is extended, and you do get less fading on sublimated jerseys, i'd reckon.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
don't have enough bike clothes to justify their own load, so they go in with everything else and air dry.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Here's a question....how do I get the funk out of my riding shoes? After riding in all the PNW rain, mud, clay, and moss my shoes have an weird smell, and no it's not my feet.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I wash mine together, usually just bike stuff, but not on delicate or anything. I even dry them in the dryer, but only for about 20 min. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just toss them in the washer with the same cycle I run everything else at. I've never noticed any wear on the stuff that couldn't be directly related to something I did on the bike.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I keep them in there own hamper, and usually let them pile up until I run out of bike clothes, and I wouldn't have anything to ride in the next day. Then - regular wash cycle, and air dry. If they wear out or fade, I'll just buy some new ones.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
i do tend to air-dry stuff instead of tossing it in the dryer. the chamois life is extended, and you do get less fading on sublimated jerseys, i'd reckon.
Definitely air dry the shorts. I air-dry most of the other stuff too, mainly because here in CO it dries in about 6 seconds. :p

-S.S.-

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
All of my clothes go in the cold/cold regular cycle, including bike stuff. No sorting colors or any of that. Bike stuff gets pulled out to air dry on a drying rack. Of course, I don't have super-expensive bike clothes (or any clothes) for that matter.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I wash all my bike stuff with my regular clothes. the bike clothes get pulled out and air dried. occasionally if i really need stuff it goes through the dryer.

matt

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
they might fade a bit, but i've never had any problem. when washing my dainese, i definitely make sure that all the velcro straps are secured well.

-bb-, you could try a laundry bag for yr armor, but i've found that regular washing doesn't affect it.
ditto.... i do stick the dianese in a simple mesh laundry bag, then air dry them along with gloves and some shirts, since gloves tend to stink up the load in the dryer, and the shirts air dry in an hour anyways. Alot of bikey clothes i buy are from outdoor recreation stores, since most are cheaper, look way better than dumb bikey jerseys, and some wic sweat better anyways.....
examples...
http://www.rei.com/category/4501414.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
My stuff generally gets its own load. One thing I always do is close all velcro cause that stuff can really do a number on the lycra. I usually wash and dry on delicate, but that is the only deviation.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Since I spent a decent chunk of change on my gear, ya' darn right I follow the directions.

I wash on the Warm / Cold gentle cycle, and then hang-dry them. I've had no problems doing this, even after washing them from a muddy ride.

-Matt

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I used to hang-dry all my riding clothes, but most of the time I just can't wait for the turn-around time and then get limited on space to hang them up....so I try to wash all riding clothes together to keep the mud and dirt in one load, but don't do anything different than normal. Haven't had any problems in the 4 years or so I've been washing this way.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
narlus said:

Thanks for the tip.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
Here's a question....how do I get the funk out of my riding shoes? After riding in all the PNW rain, mud, clay, and moss my shoes have an weird smell, and no it's not my feet.
Hey Snacks,

My best suggestion is to wash them and let them dry real well. Maybe alternate shoes to allow a pair to dry. An often used shoe that never gets a chance to rest/dry out in WA state is bound to get funky.

Try just hosing them out or maybe a little Simple Green (inside then hose out)or something and then either let them air dry upside down or hanging........or use news paper and crumple and stuff the shoes to help remove the moisture from the shoes. Just keep changing the paper as you don't want that getting funky and holding the moisture in your shoes.

I hope some of that made sense....:think:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Oxyclean works well for the funk. It's the only thing that gets stink out of hockey equipment (Febreze just covers it up, and in a couple of weeks you get funk+perfume.)

Road stuff goes in by itself on delicate, and then air dry (unless I need it in the next half hour.) Mountain stuff gets tossed in with all my other clothes.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Velocity Girl said:
I used to hang-dry all my riding clothes, but most of the time I just can't wait for the turn-around time and then get limited on space to hang them up....so I try to wash all riding clothes together to keep the mud and dirt in one load, but don't do anything different than normal. Haven't had any problems in the 4 years or so I've been washing this way.