Quantcast

The Web Monkey Speaks: Bang for Your Buck

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This is a great start, but I feel like there are certain giant gaping holes. I’d buy the Kona Unit, that’s a great starter bike or retro-grouch ride, but consider that for just a bit more (1300) you can get a svelte alloy frame with a carbon fork in the Specialized Carve/Crave SL, or for a touch more than that (1400) you can get a Kona Taro that comes with a suspension fork, hydro brakes, and even more cutting edge geometry. The enduro is starting to stretch it a bit but it’s hard to debate with a cutting edge frame and pike fork with an excellent build kit for $3500…but the Ibis is simply too much of a stretch to be reasonable. You’re going to take ultra-gucci suspension, dumb it down with D-grade shocks and deore componentry, and try to pass it off as a good deal? Realize that for the cost of the build kit, you could reasonably buy that Kona unit instead. Patents can’t make up for bad componentry. Instead consider the Norco carbon range or sight, which come in around $3600, are full carbon frames, and come equipped with things like dropper posts and quality shocks. For the price, THAT’s a good deal.