Quantcast

The Web Monkey Speaks: Endangered Species

webmonkey365

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
One in three bike shops in America closed their doors during the past 13 years. While it's hard to deny the Internet's lure of big savings, if we spend all of today's dollars online, there aren't going to be many
neighborhood bike shops tomorrow. You, however, can do something about that.

The Web Monkey Speaks: Endangered Species

wyokid

Chimp
Jul 17, 2014
While I agree in sentiment, I live in one of the "bike mecca" towns on the west coast and out of the 13 bike shops we have in town, I can't with good conscience support any of the shops. I spent the first 10 years of my working life as a shop slave so I know the score, intimately. Our LBS' have to step up and figure out that while they might not be able to be price competitive with the online retailers, they MUST provide some value for my money.
When they don't have the thing that I want (most recently I was looking for some basic cotton bar tape and went to five LBS looking for what I don't consider an esoteric item) they do offer to order it for me, and I **might** get it in 2 weeks. UNACCEPTABLE! I can log on to my favorite online retailer and have it tomorrow or the next day without paying extra for shipping. I realize that LBS owners are in a tough spot when it comes to competing with online vendor pricing, but there is so much more that they could do, but don't. So to all my local shops, you lost me until you get your act together.

cassiopia

Chimp
Nov 26, 2010
I used to buy from a small bike shop in Texas which had an online presence. Good on prices, but excellent on availability. An employee offered me several alternatives, even checked it could be had online quicker or cheaper. I have had some excellent service and advice from quite a few shops sadly some quit the business to just go ride and I no longer live near others. A recent encounter with a LBS left me gobsmacked! I needed a part quickly and I knew I could get it cheap and quick online, I stressed to the shop if you can do this quickly I will buy from them. A promised a delivery of 3 days with a text, Email or phone call when its in, their main distributor is only 25 miles away. After 12 days I went back to the shop they told me the original order had to be changed and it would be a further 7 days as they now had to order the part directly from the manufacturer, and the part has been discontinued. They did not keep me informed or offer me alternatives. I was refunded my money ordered online with expediated shipping saved 30% and had my part in 3 days. Fortunately there are other better shops near at hand as I will not be using this one again.

grumpy

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
I agree that it would be great to do business with the LBS. As an older guy who has been around since the early days of mountain biking (no suspension, hateful cantilever brakes...you know the deal) I have a different take on the subject.
I had the good fortune to grow up in Santa Cruz and ride mountain bikes before any of the trails were off limits. There were a handful of great bike shops with excellent customer service. The first custom bike I built up from a frameset, the owner let me take his personal bike out for a REAL ride (2-3 hrs). The shops were well stocked and the owners and employees new the product. I no longer live in SC, but I am still an avid rider and recently built a new Pivot Mach 6. After trying to purchase through a local shop, I gave up and bought online. The service and product knowledge was pathetic at the LBS. They didn't even know what a Pike fork was. When I said I wanted a dropper post the reply was "Why would you want one of those things?". The owners and employees were definitely surly. Since when is it acceptable to treat your customers like s**t? The online shop was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. If the local shops want to survive, I think friendly, helpful customer service should be expected. I don't expect the LBS to compete with online pricing, but I don't think you can charge full retail either. That is just the new world of business. I know there are still great local shops in many places. Hopefully they will survive.