Quantcast

The Web Monkey Speaks: Get With the F@cking Program

mammal

Chimp
Jul 8, 2014
A huge part of the liability/law suit factor is Canada's amendment to the Occupiers Liability Act.
It used to be similar to the US, where if you get hurt on someone's property, it's pretty much always their fault, or the "occupier" who operates on that land. Canada smartly amended that act to say that If the land is rural in nature, and is reasonably marked or known as recreational trail, then the person using this land has no more rights then that of a trespasser.

BAM! Trails for everyone!

Smoke

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
It's not universal in BC that we have great relationships with land managers. There's still lots of overlap and decision making without consultation with user groups. In Kelowna right now, in spite of years of recommendations to preserve and develop certain trails, the entire Gillard area is slated to be demolished.

If you are interested in helping, wander over to this petition and add your name to the supporters to help us secure a future for this area.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/bc-ministry-of-forests-land-and-natural-resource-operations-support-legalization-of-local-mountain-bike-trail-networks

TOPSOG

Chimp
Jul 10, 2014
Good on ya Smoke for posting the link

Signed it last week - if you ride a mountain bike you should get on board

Access doesn't just happen - it takes lots of work

Nothing worth having is free

CEBoogie

Chimp
Jul 11, 2014
As good as BC is, we still have challenges. Like 'Smoke' says, here in Kelowna, an entire riding community almost 2,000 strong is having a hard time convincing the government not to destroy the Gillard Area trails. I've lived in BC for a year now, and i'm already convinced that we have the best trails in the world here. Want rocky, technical singletrack, Kelowna's your place. Want rain forest, and gloopy mud, the North Shore has that in spades. The variety is astounding. Now if only I had the skill of an Atherton . . .