Quantcast

The Web Monkey Speaks: Parachute Pants and Press Fit Bottom Brackets

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yup hearing you on this one, to run a BMX crank I have to get a BB92 BB, pop the bearings out and fit 22mm ID bearings from a mid BB which are 1mm wider so they protrude from the cup a bit and that is the only option unless I go to an Alloy crank.

I blame aggressive 29er and 27.5 frames, if they didn't need short back ends with tyre clearance we wouldn't need this ****ful system. If we need big bearings why not go go to a larger diameter and still have threaded cups?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
well, ditch the stupid internal cable routing so I can have a threaded BB, **** aesthetics, make stuff easy to work on.

nowherefast

Chimp
Apr 22, 2014
I hated the U-brake on my late 80's KHS as well as the Biopace chainrings and associated chain suck issues.

I really wish I could avoid press fit but already few options without.

takkle

Chimp
Jan 16, 2014
thanks for that one, the web-monkey series is my favorite read in the bicycle universe!

Couldn’t you guys review some quality pressfit options, like the chris-kings or the new hope stuff? just something to make things less worse?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
ISIS was fine it was just the ****ful bearings like the TH ones FSA used, I used two a season when I was racing DH hardtail. Everyone ragged on the External Raceface BBs so I bought a bunch and I still have a few as they lasted a long time compared to FSA ISIS BBs.

Keen to see how the Wheels BB92 bottom bracket goes, they are stupidly cheap for what they are!

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
@hbelly13: you might want to reconsider the thanks to one of those companies listed. BB92 was "pioneered" by...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
threading a BB shell cost bucks. Reaming is cheaper. its about money. saving money.
it costs about tree fiddy. i can't think of a single bike mechanic i know that would rather dick around mis-aligned press in bearings than spend an extra 5 bucks and have to chase n fase a traditional bb.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also yer, an effin' idiot if you think PFBB's are about cost reducing a single relatively minor step on frames that retail for above $2k

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i can tolerate the whole pf bb thing on bmx, because that's more of a set it and forget it bike. considering your average bmx rider works on a bike with a hammer.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got a week and a bit out of my new frame/bb combo before the noise started, seems my BB is .7mm out of round, I don't think thread would have helped much :(

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Not quite, when manufacturers are churning out 100,000 frames at an extra $5 a bike that's half a million bucks they can save right there....... So the Exec that orders it gets a gold star from the board of directors.

GtDad

Chimp
Feb 26, 2014
I had wanted a new bike in the 80's but did not want u brake under chain stays... Seemed like a bad idea. In 1989 gt put them on the seat stay instead. Perfect spot for them . I never had any problems with it there and still have the bike. And they still work fine.