Quantcast

The Web Monkey Speaks: The Rising Price of "Kick Ass"

hbelly13

Chimp
Jan 12, 2014
Alpharetta GA
Vernon, I am one of those professionals you mention that could afford most of the hallowed bikes in your reviews. I am however, in the minority of my peers insomuch that I only purchase new bikes and components when either A. I have worn them out (often) or B. there is a noticeable benefit on my part from upgrading. I am purchasing a new bike this year. It is a 27.5" wheel bike, which after much consideration and a handful of demos convinced me to move on from my longtime 26" standard. I am paying retail for the frame. The rest of the parts I either had or found lightly used via friends or eBay. The frame is not the top-tier model from the company. It has the same geometry as the most expensive bike they make (which y'all reviewed), but it is aluminum and has a more simple suspension. The increased costs for carbon and fancier suspension designs are not enough of a difference for me to pony up the extra dough. I am a smart shopper and will end up with a bike that would go for $4K +/- retail for less than $2K. Plus I build the bikes myself. It's slower, but saves me a lot and helps one to have a better understanding of their bike. I recommend to any reader to go and really see how much difference they can perceive between models at different price points and then honestly decide if spending thousands more is really going to improve how much enjoyment they receive. Finally, I keep a simple steel hardtail (Surly Instigator 1.0) at my disposal. It has served my well for a dozen years and has worn it fair share of hand me down parts. It cost very little when I bought it and is a snap to maintain. It is currently my go to bike whilst I await to get my new rig together and it still rips. Despite all the newness that abounds, I would be just fine if had to ride that bike forever. No matter how much glitter comes along durability and reliable performance is hard to beat.

Dude!

Chimp
Dec 18, 2010
Hi Vernon

Great article - but one missing aspect - is this a vicious cycle? By that I mean, the price is so high now that it is hard to get new riders into the sport. Therefore, there are less potential buyers, and since the number of buyers decreased, the supply/demand requires an increase in price?

I am professional with a good job and like new bike toys. My life outside of work/family is biking and I pay top dollar to have my bike machine optimal. However, there are limits to what I will pay for a bike frame or parts. Many companies are starting to hit these imaginary budgetary limits. Companies must recognize that they are hitting them. Dave Turner has mentioned consumers not wanting to pay $$$ for frame X. It is crazy to think Specialized is asking for $4k for a Sworks Enduro frame - yikes. Though a various nice frame, I can do much more with my dollars.

This is what bugs me about the 27.5 thrust. I generally upgrade various components or frame when their time is due. I don't purchase a whole bike, just the frame. Now with the 27.5 I have to purchase frame, fork and wheels - blah. I feel with the current economy that the 27.5 injection may have occurred at the wrong time. In the sense, people don't have the funds to support this big of jump for bike newness. It concerns me that this may hurt the industry in the end.

Cheers!
Jamie

Grindaway

Chimp
Nov 29, 2013
Calgary
Enjoyed the article, it provides a much needed reality check.

Some other suggestions:

- buy a 1 season old bike. It is amazing how many folks need to change out after one year. There are many used aluminum 2013 Norco "Killer Bs" out there for sale because a carbon version of the same bike is coming out for 2014.

- better yet buy a 26er ! There are great deals on well spec'd carbon bikes if you can live with the fact your wheel size is now "obsolete" .

BTW my riding buddy has a top of the line XX1, Enve wheel clad Bronson that is worth four or five times my ride. I'm happy for him, - but I ride more and work less !

broke(n)

Chimp
Mar 20, 2007
My bugbear with continual testing of the all carbonium dreamships (particularly when including carbon wheels) is that the material masks short comings that may exist in the real world priced models. Sure carbon 29er hoops can be light and stiff but maybe one of those attributes is sacrificed on a more affordable alloy wheel set. Maybe your trail bike is a super stiff shredder in carbon but a bit of a noodle when pushed hard in alloy? Maybe it isn't, but you'd never know from a review of the range topper. Maybe your bike is a silky quiet with XX1 but a filing cabinet falling down a hill when afflicted with a front derailleur? So many questions, not so many answers...

Spectre

Chimp
Jan 23, 2014
Nice essay. I totally agree with your summary: "Forget the Bling, Focus on the Bread and Butter"

It's difficult for me to understand how so many bike manufacturers can be selling so many different models of bikes priced over $4,000. The first qualifier for likely buyers is how many people have the means to spend that kind of money on a bike. As hbelly13 above notes, the next qualifier is how many of these people actually want to spend that kind of money on a bike. My hypothesis is that a good proportion of the high buck bikes are sold at cost to shop employees with Pro-Deal discounts which I know are good. I've purchased all of my bikes except for my current mtn bike with employee discounts.

Also, before I had kids and a house payment, a lot more of my income was spent on bikes. It was almost an automatic decision to buy bikes with an Shimano XT level component group. Even though I have the means to buy these top tier bikes priced over $4,000, I now have many other things to consider spending on including nice bikes for my kids. Spending $4,000 or more now is something that I consider much more seriously and alternative choices to buying a new bike such as used bikes becomes much more of a realistic option. At the end of day for me, it does become a value consideration in that what level of bike do I need to get to provide me with 95% of enjoyment that I get from the experience of going for a ride and what will have reasonable durability. It's the ride that matters, not the bike.

Hose

Chimp
Jan 23, 2014
Great article Vernon-

I've been geeking out over a new bike for about 2 years, and to my 'WTF' surprise, a new 2013 Camber Comp showed up in my closet about 2 weeks ago. This is not a joke; my wife is better than yours.

My previous bike was a 2009 Marin East Peak.

I'm 44 and love riding but there is NO WAY I'm worth a bike over $2K. I have to tune the Camber a little bit more but it is a really nice ride, and an upgrade over the Marin. Is it $2K better? Good question, but it's awesome. For an average rider like me when does the technology simply exceed my abilities? For me, I think I'm getting there. I'll look forward to my next bike in... 2020. But I'll still read BIKE.