Quantcast

The What Helmet Do You Wear Thread

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Cheap ass Fly helmet, which is actually a 661 clone.

But as I ride with dudes who wear MX lids, and keep up(mostly) Im thinking I might get one next.:)

Probably a ONE industries helmet, they are nice and light, well ventilated, and look sweet.:cool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Giro MadMax II.

It's the only helmet I've ever tried on that doesn't hurt and put a lot of pressure on the front part of my skull.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
M2R - Fits well, light and protective.

also, i don't like expirementing with helmet fit.....found something that works so i'm sticking with it....just picked up a brand new one up for next to nothing......

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
surfinguru said:
Looking at choosing between one of these:

Shoei Pulse TC-5

KBC Super X6

Thor Force Carbon:
I am assuming Shoie is a nice helmet but gawd are they ugly. :think: It must be the visor that makes it look so wierd.

Never seen the KBC upclose. Not that one alteast.

The Thor Carbon is :drool: delicious.....:D The mouth gaurd is al little bulbous but it is just wierd/different enough to get my vote. I like the gray and orange(rust like) non carbon version of the Thor helmet.

Not on the list. The new Fox chi-chi helmet is impressive. Don't know if I am ready to drop that coin on a new helmet. I am more of a $100-$200 range guy. :o: I am looking at the FLY top of the line helmets. They are priced well.

Rhino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Started out wearing one of these......Pryme DH/BMX fullface helmet :( Rung my bell GOOD, decided time for a moto helmet.

Here is my MSR.....it is like 4 years old now.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i am SUprised i have not see anyone mention that above all...... Make sure your Lid fits properly and is comfortable. Could be best helmet in teh world, But the wrong fit and its still worthless. If i had the cash for a Moto thats what i would run for That fact right there. But for now the Vamoose is what fits right in a range i can afford

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Johnny Boy, where are you sending it out to be painted?? And what kind of design are you getting on it? That helmet looks awsome stock.... Except that it has GM on the back i guess....

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Brent Vanderbroek of Hijinx Custom Creations in Ontario, Canada. Bad ass painter. Just going for a simple design this year to match our jerseys.

If anyone is looking for an OGK helmet I have a brand new spare as well for sale. Size Medium.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
OGK greg minaar replica helmet exactly the same a Jonny boy only problem with it is that it doesnt make me go as fast as greg

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
surfinguru said:
Ok, since today seems to be all about helmets, and the fact that I just broke mine over the weekend, I'd like to find out who's wearing what.

I'm sitting here with a pretty good concussion as I type this (3rd one now in 2-1/2 years) and I'm starting to consider moving from a MadMaxII to an MX helmet. Weight and cost were always a prior consideration, but after looking at some numbers, it looks like alot of the MX helmets are only 100g or so heavier than the Giro. (I can handle that.) At this point, cost has become irrelivant other than ensuring I'm getting a fair deal on the purchase.

So, I'm not looking to expand the debate between mtb and MX helmets or why one is *cooler* than the other. What I'd like to see is the quick and short answer:

I wear "XYZ"

For the better part of two years, for my full-face ( I have a Pryme pisspot and a Giro XC lid for the appropriate uses) I have used a $60.00 GMax ATV/Snowmobile helmet for serious freeride and downhilling. It is sorta vented, kinda heavy, and is so well-fitted to my big, weird shaped head that I have had several head-first and head-shoulder (661 armor rules) crashes and never damaged either my head in general or my face. The helmet and interior foam is intact too. Plus, all the pads snap out for throwing in the wash when they get that funkiness... Seriously, moto helmets have like three times more sizing options and can cost half or less as much as a bike helmet, and (In My opinion and experience provide more protection than a purpose-built bike helmet. For reference, I have twice been knocked out cold while wearing XC lids...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I rock the home made furry tiger helmet for snow races...

And got this coming as my race helmet for this season. Should be here beginning of march.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis

I use this se, i dont like the somewhat bolbous shape, but when you tear one apart you see how much more there is to them copared to a bike full face. i love the d2 but decided it would be worth it to go moto. it is now throughaly scratched and scared after a seasons use and im still stoked on it, it even came with a extra matching visor that im not using after the last one exploded in a crash.

i have a xen for trail stuff to and two skid lids for park and kickin around when its colder.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I use a 661 Carbon full face. It was very reasonably priced and it's light. It fits goggles well and is very comfortable, but even though it's nice and tight it moves around on my head more than I would like it to.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I am ordering a 661 flight and already have a d2 on the way. Both of them the black with red pin stripes. I will probly use a bern for street and park.