Quantcast

The "wherethefuckdoesthisbelonganyway" thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
She should have been a better skateboarder. The last olympics pretty much shut that shit down. I'm going to whine about lebron james being genetically superior because people like him made my pro basketball career very difficult.

You cruzing fox news again?
So you'd be cool with a say a trans version of Mike Tyson pummeling the shit out of women boxers?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
let me know when thats a thing.

Also let me know when exactly your deep concern for competitive womens skateboarding (or boxing) started.

Yall seem to think a trans person is mike tyson with a wig.

Mike Tyson, notoriously unaltered natural being.

Tucker carlson has a show you might like.

Remember when Michelle Dumaresque took over dh racing over Anne Caroline Chausson? How Katie Willoughby now runs current WC points championships? Me neither. But I sure remember the bitching.

Maybe do some homework before relying on hypotheticals to make a point. And I mean real homework. As in history. Not reactionary first impressions. Youre seeing this in "news" for a reason. And some of the voices amplifying this shit you might want to look into.

Nobody whines about all the mediocre trans athletes out there, which most are. just like most athletes in general.

Here's your mike tyson example btw. It kinda already happened. Trans woman fighter breaks the face of opponent and the pearls are clutched. Read the whole thread

Robin Givens didnt spend her life training to be a fighter and was in a slightly different weight class.

Last edited:

Also let me know when exactly your deep concern for competitive womens skateboarding (or boxing) started.

Remember when Michelle Dumaresque took over dh racing over Anne Caroline Chausson? How Katie Willoughby now runs current WC points championships? Me neither. But I sure remember the bitching.

Maybe do some homework before relying on hypotheticals to make a point. And I mean real homework. As in history. Not reactionary first impressions. Youre seeing this in "news" for a reason. And some of the voices amplifying this shit you might want to look into.

Nobody whines about all the mediocre trans athletes out there, which most are. just like most athletes in general.

Here's your mike tyson example btw. It kinda already happened. Trans woman fighter breaks the face of opponent and the pearls are clutched. Read the whole thread

Robin Givens didnt spend her life training to be a fighter and was in a slightly different weight class.
Eliminating competitive sports would be a good start to rectifying some of this.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

This is just a lot more complex subject than you make it out to be. I doubt anyone has or will ever become "trans" for the sake of athletic competition but there are certainly some sports where growing up with a large supply of testosterone will change your muscular skeletal system and neurology with an athletic advantage over someone who did not. I don't give a shit about the culture war aspects of it, actually I personally don't have much of an opinion on it as I can't think of a good solution one way or the other. However I do know several very liberal very feminist woman athletes who have very strong opinions about this as they are de-valuated in multi-gendered competitive worlds such as the work place who get a little upset when people who were are genetically men show up in their de-valuated single gender environments and I personally cannot dismiss their concerns. It also sucks for a trans person who wants to compete in a competitive athletic environment. A binary gender system like athletics fails to serve everyone in a non binary world. This is a strange space where politics mix and sadly shit birds like Tucker Carlson play the culture war card just making it a hot button topic further polarizing the situation.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

anytime someone uses the phrase "biological <gender>", it's a pretty obvious red flag that they don't, in fact, understand the biology behind gender

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is just a lot more complex subject than you make it out to be. I doubt anyone has or will ever become "trans" for the sake of athletic competition but there are certainly some sports where growing up with a large supply of testosterone will change your muscular skeletal system and neurology with an athletic advantage over someone who did not. I don't give a shit about the culture war aspects of it, actually I personally don't have much of an opinion on it as I can't think of a good solution one way or the other. However I do know several very liberal very feminist woman athletes who have very strong opinions about this as they are de-valuated in multi-gendered competitive worlds such as the work place who get a little upset when people who were are genetically men show up in their de-valuated single gender environments and I personally cannot dismiss their concerns. It also sucks for a trans person who wants to compete in a competitive athletic environment. A binary gender system like athletics fails to serve everyone in a non binary world. This is a strange space where politics mix and sadly shit birds like Tucker Carlson play the culture war card just making it a hot button topic further polarizing the situation.
Yea TERFs suck. :) They've basically become fascists themselves.

In something like skateboarding, an activity I know very well, I can categorically tell you that there's no "hormonal advantage." Skateboarding these days is a mix of soccer foot skills and gymnastics, not brute strength. There just aren't as many women doing it, which is kind of the case in most of these sports. So the best of the best is the best of fewer, and foments this idea that women are inferior athletes. If the money and support were there I think we'd have more Anne Caroline's. Rachael Atherton regularly placed in the top 10 in dude times in world cups. You know this is the case in dh bike racing. I personally don't buy the argument. There's no inherent advantage. Have you seen most dudes try and ride a bike down a dh course? There's just more money and support for men's sports so the pool is bigger to pull from, providing a little bit of an illusion. The athlete pool in almost every sport on the planet is larger for dudes because the infrastructure to bring them up is decades, and in some well over a century old. We JUST started having the discussion of paying women athletes well in the last few years.

Framing arguments as 'getting beat by a dude' also just drips with the sexism nonsense that women must work harder, or be genetically gifted to compete on the same level as a man. Because the corollary is what someone's arguing every time they blast these silly examples. It relies on the same bias. "She only won because she was born a man" is the same thing as saying "pretty good, for a girl." I mentioned the olympics because it was weightlifting. The one or two trans women competing that everyone was up in arms about didn't even qualify for later brackets. There's no other boiled down example than literally just lifting heavy things.

I've been around too many badass women professional athletes. Skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, mtb and now even moto. I can pretty confidently say in all of those, I've been put to shame by women in talent, skill and preparation. When the same support is there for women athletes, the lines start to get a lot more blurred. I've been beaten by a 5'3" female friend arm wrestling and she absolutely wouldn't believe that I didn't let her win. She was a pretty avid rock climber and was literally just straight up stronger than me, and held some of the same biases herself.

So no. I don't agree that there's a gender-based inherent advantage in 'sports,.' Or that some musculoskeletal advantage exists that's not already present just between individuals of the same gender out there already. I've been around the sports I care about at a fairly high level too long. If that advantage existed, these mixed examples making the news would all be stories of domination. One swimmer who's good in one stroke discipline, yet not the others, does not make a case.

I know you buy the culture war shit but you are kind of backing this one. Homosexual and trans-sexual people are always the bottom of the totem pole because they can always gain traction with straight white people. If it's not protect our bebes, it's protect our women-folk. In many ways it's eugenics talk-lite.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
anytime someone uses the phrase "biological <gender>", it's a pretty obvious red flag that they don't, in fact, understand the biology behind gender
I don't think all these tough dudes in right wing media realize that chromosomal-wise, we all start out as womens till that little Y shows up. To me it seems variations along the scale make a lot of sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yea TERFs suck. :) They've basically become fascists themselves.

In something like skateboarding, an activity I know very well, I can categorically tell you that there's no "hormonal advantage." Skateboarding these days is a mix of soccer foot skills and gymnastics, not brute strength. There just aren't as many women doing it, which is kind of the case in most of these sports. So the best of the best is the best of fewer, and foments this idea that women are inferior athletes. If the money and support were there I think we'd have more Anne Caroline's. Rachael Atherton regularly placed in the top 10 in dude times in world cups. You know this is the case in dh bike racing. I personally don't buy the argument. There's no inherent advantage. Have you seen most dudes try and ride a bike down a dh course? There's just more money and support for men's sports so the pool is bigger to pull from, providing a little bit of an illusion. The athlete pool in almost every sport on the planet is larger for dudes because the infrastructure to bring them up is decades, and in some well over a century old. We JUST started having the discussion of paying women athletes well in the last few years.

Framing arguments as 'getting beat by a dude' also just drips with the sexism nonsense that women must work harder, or be genetically gifted to compete on the same level as a man. Because the corollary is what someone's arguing every time they blast these silly examples. It relies on the same bias. "She only won because she was born a man" is the same thing as saying "pretty good, for a girl." I mentioned the olympics because it was weightlifting. The one or two trans women competing that everyone was up in arms about didn't even qualify. There's no other boiled down example than literally just lifting heavy things.

I've been around too many badass women professional athletes. Skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, mtb and now even moto. I can pretty confidently say in all of those, I've been put to shame by women in talent, skill and preparation. I've been beaten by a 5'3" female friend arm wrestling and she absolutely wouldn't believe that I didn't let her win. She was a pretty avid rock climber and was literally just straight up stronger than me, and held some of the same biases herself.

So no. I don't agree that there's a gender-based inherent advantage in 'sports'. I've been around the ones I care about at a fairly high level too long. If that advantage existed, these mixed examples would all be stories of domination.

I know you buy the culture war shit but you are kind of backing this one. Homosexual and trans-sexual people are always the bottom of the totem pole because they can always gain traction with straight white people. If it's not protect our bebes, it's protect our women-folk. In many ways it's eugenics talk-lite.

Something like skateboarding is definitely more of a skill sport but much like DHing it suffers from a population problem. The best in the world on the men's side is taken from a much larger population of people who participate in the sport vs women. So a women's specific category is just going to be less competitive simply from a numbers perspective. And there are a lot of factors that drive those participation rates. Things like skiing and snowboarding don't have that problem to the same extent.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah the dumb dude bravado factor of the fragile male ego leads to a lot of first attempts, I'll grant you that! Pretty much how I 'learned' to dirtjump. ;)

But you've also made the case for feminine skill and ingenuity. I call it a wash. Similar and comparable variations exist in same genders. Plenty of dumb brave women and wilting cowering men out there.

Until we have a good 50 years of comparably prepared fields of both male and female athletes, I don't share your assumptions. We haven't even started year 1 in most of them. In the meantime we're just comparing mostly male structured sports, dominated by males for males and how women fare in them.

It's funny watching trans men examples in some of the same sports. Patricio Manuel gets the special treatment of winning against a lifelong male in an MMA fight and now everyone's scared to fight him.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are you an "ok" but not great male athlete? Have you considered switching teams?

Some greater context for you in the replies. Exactly as I said, maybe she should be a better skateboarder.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It’s officially stupid season here again!