Quantcast

The "wherethefuckdoesthisbelonganyway" thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Running Dog here closed last year, it was disappointing.

I just wish you could know how "portland brewery closes" sounds to the rest of the world

It's a bit like "tahoe real estate agent gets eaten by snowblower"

I mean.......should either have really been allowed to proliferate to the degree in which they did?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just wish you could know how "portland brewery closes" sounds to the rest of the world

It's a bit like "tahoe real estate agent gets eaten by snowblower"

I mean.......should either have really been allowed to proliferate to the degree in which they did?
Well, I think Running Dog was literally the only brewery out here and it was pretty good. You can't swing a dead cat in downtown without hitting a brewery or tap house. I hear they are Tick Tok famous or something now, so there is that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are areas of Seattle that I am afraid to enter. Not the sprawling homeless camps, open air drug markets, raw sewage dried on the sidewalks but the blight of 3 breweries on every block.

They seem may seem harmless at first then you overhear the Patagonia clad tech bros describing how they can really taste the hops in an IPA, then a tour bus of fat Midwesterners fresh from a shopping spree at REI rolls up.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are areas of Seattle that I am afraid to enter. Not the sprawling homeless camps, open air drug markets, raw sewage dried on the sidewalks but the blight of 3 breweries on every block.

They seem may seem harmless at first then you overhear the Patagonia clad tech bros describing how they can really taste the hops in an IPA, then a tour bus of fat Midwesterners fresh from a shopping spree at REI rolls up.
do

not

look

poor

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like beer, but this is just silly. At least when I was in Portland there was a wide variety of beers. Here it is just 30 different IPAs

1705039007672.png

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
that's not portland™

:confused:

You asked if @jimmydean was located in Gresham.
I looked up what he said was his local based on brewery name and it ends up in St Helens.
28 miles vs 17 miles from where the map says Portland is located.
Both are suburbs or bedroom communities in essence.

If I'm missing something, then I'm blaming it on tonight's giggle-weed consumption. Bad brain ache today, so between the two I'm even slower than the normal glacial speed my neurons seem to prefer misfiring at.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:confused:

You asked if @jimmydean was located in Gresham.
I looked up what he said was his local based on brewery name and it ends up in St Helens.
28 miles vs 17 miles from where the map says Portland is located.
Both are suburbs or bedroom communities in essence.

If I'm missing something, then I'm blaming it on tonight's giggle-weed consumption. Bad brain ache today, so between the two I'm even slower than the normal glacial speed my neurons seem to prefer misfiring at.
I know. But if you've ever been to portland or seattle people who live in each are VERY obnoxious about what is the city and what is not, even if it's 10 minutes away from the city lines. You may live a short drive away but yOu dOnT rEaLlY liVe iN _____ is a fairly common and annoying trope.

Therefore this is a joke that JD will likely get, which was its only purpose

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you out gresham way?
No, way worse. I'm north of downtown, but still in Oregon. Some folks think Saint Helens is only a volcano in Washington, but it's also a hick town in Oregon. Gresham has amenities along with the hicks, we just have the hicks.

<edit> we also have Halloween Town, ugh.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I hate people like this. The Laguna Seca race track has been there since 1957. they bought houses near it now they are trying to sue because of the noise. what the fuck did they expect? Newbys tried that up by our mountain house when the noise of the gun club down the road disturbed their tranquil mountain life. Locals told them and their petition to F.O. They then went to court. Gun Club had been there for 100 years. Court tossed the lawsuit saying they should have paid attention prior to the home purchase and that it's not the gun clubs problem that they moved near it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I hate people like this. The Laguna Seca race track has been there since 1957. they bought houses near it now they are trying to sue because of the noise. what the fuck did they expect? Newbys tried that up by our mountain house when the noise of the gun club down the road disturbed their tranquil mountain life. Locals told them and their petition to F.O. They then went to court. Gun Club had been there for 100 years. Court tossed the lawsuit saying they should have paid attention prior to the home purchase and that it's not the gun clubs problem that they moved near it.

The drag strip and @stoney cart track stuff all just closed down for similar reasons.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The drag strip and @stoney cart track stuff all just closed down for similar reasons.
Not correct. One of the auto dealerships offered the Bandimere family an egregious amount of money, apparently. The deal isn't even finalized until zoning gets changed. If it doesn't get changed, the track is coming back.

edit: but you have to be a full-fledged cunt to move next to a race track, then sue the race track because it's noisy. And isn't it coincidental that the people who are filing the lawsuit happen to be lawyers and "The group seeks no financial compensation, Rosenthal noted. “If we’re successful in the lawsuit we’ll be entitled to legal fees.” "

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hate people like this. The Laguna Seca race track has been there since 1957. they bought houses near it now they are trying to sue because of the noise. what the fuck did they expect?
Probably not for the racetrack to keep expanding and increased use/types of cars out there. They probably expected it to stay relatively the same as it was when they bought the houses, which I'm sure it has not. Probably got helicopters and drones and shit flying all over too. Point is, stuff changes and people don't expect it to or the "business" basically gets to do what it wants and the residents have no recourse. There are plenty of shady developers and real estate agents too that will try to downplay and straight up lie to the prospective residents.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Here in Livermore people buy houses near the airport or sewer plant then bitch about the noise or the smell.

Of course anywhere in town you hear the constant drone of I580 one of the USA's busiest Freeway/Truck routes and on an hourly basis a freight train blaring its horn runs right through the middle of the city. You have to pay attention when you move into an area what the existing infrastructure is and where it is. Don't move under an airport landing /take off approach if you don't want to hear planes all day. Don't move next to the sewer plant and act surprised when it smells like an outhouse in your back yard

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here in Livermore people buy houses near the airport or sewer plant then bitch about the noise or the smell.

Of course anywhere in town you hear the constant drone of I580 one of the USA's busiest Freeway/Truck routes and on an hourly basis a freight train blaring its horn runs right through the middle of the city. You have to pay attention when you move into an area what the existing infrastructure is and where it is. Don't move under an airport landing /take off approach if you don't want to hear planes all day. Don't move next to the sewer plant and act surprised when it smells like an outhouse in your back yard
The airplanes constantly leaking jet fuel over our city is a nice touch. And yeah, you can definitely tell(smell) when they are leaking jet fuel.

Also, approach/departure paths change.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
The airplanes constantly leaking jet fuel over our city is a nice touch. And yeah, you can definitely tell(smell) when they are leaking jet fuel.

Also, approach/departure paths change.
ours is a small municipal airport with two parallel runways. One is 3500' and the other is 5800' long we get 3-4 Gulfstream's per day but hundreds of small planes of which 30 are rotary engine biplanes and another 20 are old ww2 warbirds.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
ours is a small municipal airport with two parallel runways. One is 3500' and the other is 5800' long we get 3-4 Gulfstream's per day but hundreds of small planes of which 30 are rotary engine biplanes and another 20 are old ww2 warbirds.
Apart from the GS's, they're likely all using leaded fuel, so enjoy those fumes :p

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sunol gas I680 and Andrade Rd 5 miles south of pleasanton carries super premium and race fuels
The new unleaded aviation fuels could be great up here. There are some self-serve fuel stations at airports and you can't get above 90 at any gas station. I would fill up my "airplane".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ethanol free
Maybe not? They're on this page so it should be....

2023-06-30 13:40:53 CT Dave Wright: Just called them. They only sell E0 (95 octane) in 5 gallon cans for $85.

2022-10-04 13:10:08 CT added by Robert: The only fuels that are ethanol free are 100octane and above. All other lower octanes may contain ethanol. 98, 96, 94, 91, 89 and 87.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
A couple months ago in Green River UT the only ethanol free was 88. WTF? Had to buy 91 ethanol and add the ethy eater shitaqua. Why just 88 e free?