Quantcast

The "wherethefuckdoesthisbelonganyway" thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
There’s a slightly bigger problem that’s caused by those bigger cars:

View attachment 218225

This I understand. The thought of the North Atlantic Conveyor collapsing gives me nightmares.

However, the issue I mentioned above is the one I wanted to discuss, and is also of great concern. There is no plan and with the cost of green transportation, I don't see how it can be overcome. There is too much disinformation and no political will to address the issue. What we do get seems to be either downloading the problem to the end user, or out and out green-washing of varying degrees. Hell instead of trying to address the problem, the powers that be just want to be able to move the problem somewhere else and hide it. Making homelessness basically a crime and lumping all homeless into the drunk / druggie camp does no-one any favours especially the working / living in their vehicles homeless. What is next - workhouses?

We have political masters that are either ineffective, don't believe or just give lip service to the issues. The money people, just download the problem onto the end user the same way they did with phasing out glass and making everything plastic and snowing everybody with recycling that can't be done economically so it ends up in other countries or landfill. But it is the consumers fault. As long as they make money and can claim carbon offsets or some other form of green-washing they are happy to continue on as before. The entire system is fucked and starting to teeter. Our society is build on a house of cards in a windy courtyard. Society is more stratified now than at any other time. The people at the bottom don't have the ability and the people at the top don't care.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, I assume you mean post feudal, post slavery, kings/serfs/peasants/religious royalty/disposable humans for sacrifice, etc, etc?

society is actually more stratified in terms of education and access to food and medicine than ever in human history.
it still sucks ass for way too many, but the average lifespan now is over 30.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, I assume you mean post feudal, post slavery, kings/serfs/peasants/religious royalty/disposable humans for sacrifice, etc, etc?

society is actually more stratified in terms of education and access to food and medicine than ever in human history.
it still sucks ass for way too many, but the average lifespan now is over 30.
Average lifespan of 30 then you die is a trope. Child mortality was though the roof, but if you made it to adult hood you had a good chance to make it to 60 or 70.

We are living in a feudal society, but instead of Kings and Lords, we have Tech-Bros. Just like the Romans built coliseums and the games to distract the population from how shitty they have it we do the same with internet / phones to cause strife and discord amongst the masses or the same coliseums with sports stadiums. But even that is failing to keep a lot of people distracted as they can no longer even afford that bit of escapism even if they can avoid or shake off the blatant punch down propaganda.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Average lifespan of 30 then you die is a trope. Child mortality was though the roof, but if you made it to adult hood you had a good chance to make it to 60 or 70.

We are living in a feudal society, but instead of Kings and Lords, we have Tech-Bros. Just like the Romans built coliseums and the games to distract the population from how shitty they have it we do the same with internet / phones to cause strife and discord amongst the masses or the same coliseums with sports stadiums. But even that is failing to keep a lot of people distracted as they can no longer even afford that bit of escapism even if they can avoid or shake off the blatant punch down propaganda.
Thanjs for reminding me I still need to read this book.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Figured I’d rant on 9/12 and not 9/11 to not inflame too many folks.
I love all the never forget shit.
Let's never forget the ~15,000 service members and contractors that died for being sent to war on a lie
Let's never forget the ~4.7million civilians that have died to the wars
Or the 38 million that have been displaced. But ya. . . Never forget. Jesus fuck

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
How is this sustainable for the "average" working stiff, let alone those at the bottom of the sociology-economic ladder?
Car ownership is expensive in many senses. Got to make public transit* a suitable option. Lower out of pocket cost to users and lower carbon cost to society.

* or other non-car transport. Like tons of bike lanes a la Paris.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Car ownership is expensive in many senses. Got to make public transit* a suitable option. Lower out of pocket cost to users and lower carbon cost to society.

* or other non-car transport. Like tons of bike lanes a la Paris.
Not disagreeing, however....

So, how do we rejig urban areas to make them accessible to those who do not have a car, or don't wish to use them. I know some people in Europe who have never owned a car, don't have a license and have no need because the entire way the city is built is on the premise that it just is not required. They do not seem to separate the entire place into commercial, industrial and residential. We started out on the right path, but with the ascendancy of the car being sacrosanct, we seriously backtracked. Hell with current zoning, you can not build a walkable city in most cases. Locally, we have a village in a city and it is the one of the most sought after locations. Fully walkable mixed business / residential etc. A developer wanted to build similar and the concept was lauded, everybody loved it. Unfortunately it was pointed out that the entire zoning structure would have to be re-written. Concept shelved and more subdivisions and strip malls ensued.

Then what do we do out in the country or small towns, where an hour one way commute is the norm? Can't afford to live in the town you work in, but soon you won't be able to afford to commute either. We have built ourselves into a serious corner.

And just to spice things up a bit, remote work is now being curtailed as there is too much money sitting in unused office space. The powers that be don't like that cause they may loose a zero off of too many zero's in the bank. Even when there are workable solutions, they are actively being discouraged.

I got nothing. :mad:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
you can beat the tech bros just by putting the phone down
Sure, if you want to forgo modem society. Hell, you can't even get a menu in some restaurants without scanning a QR code. I refuse to eat in any, but even government services are all online. The days of walking into an office and speaking to a live human type are rapidly going extinct. It isn't just communications, but everywhere. Try to fix your John Deere tractor and get back to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sure, if you want to forgo modem society. Hell, you can't even get a menu in some restaurants without scanning a QR code. I refuse to eat in any, but even government services are all online. The days of walking into an office and speaking to a live human type are rapidly going extinct. It isn't just communications, but everywhere. Try to fix your John Deere tractor and get back to me.
in my area there's been enough backlash to qr code menus that most places have reverted back to print menus.

the john deere example is a slightly different topic and is more akin to SAS. also, they are facing a federal "'right to repair" class action and antitrust lawsuit over that right now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Figured I’d rant on 9/12 and not 9/11 to not inflame too many folks.
I love all the never forget shit.
Let's never forget the ~15,000 service members and contractors that died for being sent to war on a lie
Let's never forget the ~4.7million civilians that have died to the wars
Or the 38 million that have been displaced. But ya. . . Never forget. Jesus fuck
Never forget there were no WMDs in Iraq?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I ordered a burger in Park City a couple of weeks ago and he prompted me to pay via my phone. I declined and he had to look for the card reader.

The burger was effing terrible...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Not disagreeing, however....

So, how do we rejig urban areas to make them accessible to those who do not have a car, or don't wish to use them. I know some people in Europe who have never owned a car, don't have a license and have no need because the entire way the city is built is on the premise that it just is not required. They do not seem to separate the entire place into commercial, industrial and residential. We started out on the right path, but with the ascendancy of the car being sacrosanct, we seriously backtracked. Hell with current zoning, you can not build a walkable city in most cases. Locally, we have a village in a city and it is the one of the most sought after locations. Fully walkable mixed business / residential etc. A developer wanted to build similar and the concept was lauded, everybody loved it. Unfortunately it was pointed out that the entire zoning structure would have to be re-written. Concept shelved and more subdivisions and strip malls ensued.

Then what do we do out in the country or small towns, where an hour one way commute is the norm? Can't afford to live in the town you work in, but soon you won't be able to afford to commute either. We have built ourselves into a serious corner.

And just to spice things up a bit, remote work is now being curtailed as there is too much money sitting in unused office space. The powers that be don't like that cause they may loose a zero off of too many zero's in the bank. Even when there are workable solutions, they are actively being discouraged.

I got nothing. :mad:
You rewrite the zoning structure… I mean, people wrote it. It’s not a mandate from some bullshit god. If changing planning regulations is too high a bar for change that’s pretty pathetic. As you say, the alternative is actually preferable and desirable for most people.